USMNT - Turning Point?

Here's a good DA player. State champ in track as a sophomore. Going to Oregon. I would call that a serious effort in another HS sport, wouldn't you? https://www.dailybulletin.com/2019/...te-of-the-week-jacqueline-duarte-chino-hills/
I didn't say it couldn't be done, but my player said she did not want to play any other high school sports because high level soccer took too much time. She was interested in track, but once she transitioned to DA, she said is was even more demanding. On the upside, it did prepare her for the time demands of college.

I would hardly characterize those as "unique assets." Using our educational systems to subsidize sports is one of countries greatest flaws. The best educational systems in the world keep academics and athletics separate. In my opinion, anything we do to make high schools sports less important, the better.
Did you participate in sports or other non-academic classes in high school? There is more to life than the 3R's.

Did you participate in sports or other non-academic classes in high school? There is more to life than the 3R's.

Yes, I did. I'm not advocating that kids stop doing other non-academic activities. I'm advocating that it be kept separate from academics. The only plausible justification for HS sports is to foster a sense of community. I've never seen evidence to actually support the argument, but there is a plausibility to it. Regardless, communities all over the world do perfectly fine without HS sports. They just have other ways to foster community without corrupting the educational system.

Mark, I'll PM you and you can let the DA Boys, Kickster and Lasty in on the Intel. Please keep PM private though. Is that possible???? This is good info bro and it might change your thinking. First hand knowledge of the scoop. Let me know if that explains things a little better. If that still confuses you three, then you call Coach Woodcock and he can tell you why it's a horrible example. Or better yet, look at who she's playing for and that might help you out too dude......

Worth a watch if you haven't seen it already: Jesse Marsch's halftime talk vs. Liverpool

https://twitter.com/grantwahl/status/1180104467708022784?lang=en
Dude, that was awesome!!! That's called passion and Ganas. What I heard was, "show some balls and get aggressive. This is champions league." I didn't hear him say, "we need to play more tactical and show all the development we worked on all summer." he said, "Play the F ing game with heart and soul!!!!" "You need to Care you wimps!!!!!"

Rematch with Canada tomorrow (Friday). Pulisic out, but US Soccer bringing in another young kid developed on foreign soil--Sergino Dest. Kid is a legit player thanks to Ajax, not the USDA.

I believe great players in any sport make other great players better. Phil Jackson took a few GOATs, gave them some books to read and won.

I always thought Coaches developed players? Leagues just provide the gaming format.

Many years ago in this forum, someone claimed that CSL devloped the best players. I asked for specific examples of how CSL was doing that, and I think people got the idea that the league just stands to one side while clubs and coaches do the actual development work. Since then, several newcomer leagues (ECNL, SCDSL, DA, Presidio's SDDA, etc) have arisen to prove the point.

my point re Dest is simply that he is another player now on the USMNT that did not get developed in the US home system (USDA). If we're serious about competing on the World stage, we need to admit that any 12-14 year old with potential needs to live/play in Europe or Mexico for multiple years. Staying here will not cut it. The same is happening with Canadian kids.

Despite the criticism of the team and its recent results, Berhalter believes in his players.

"It's a group that's developing," he said on Thursday. "I think it's a resilient, brave group. From Day 1, the players have been focused on every single thing we've asked of them. And for me that mindset is amazing. We're embracing [the pressure]. When you look at the history of U.S. soccer, we've been in situations like this before. This is what builds the team, this is what makes the team strong. We need events like this to help the team grow."

Listen everyone and I'm not trying to be a smartass either. He needs to say, "It's a group that's WINNING." I'm so SICK of this stupid word, "developing." It's trick word because we are not winning.

Despite the criticism of the team and its recent results, Berhalter believes in his players.

"It's a group that's developing," he said on Thursday. "I think it's a resilient, brave group. From Day 1, the players have been focused on every single thing we've asked of them. And for me that mindset is amazing. We're embracing [the pressure]. When you look at the history of U.S. soccer, we've been in situations like this before. This is what builds the team, this is what makes the team strong. We need events like this to help the team grow."

Listen everyone and I'm not trying to be a smartass either. He needs to say, "It's a group that's WINNING." I'm so SICK of this stupid word, "developing." It's trick word because we are not winning.

I think he is saying that the graduates of the Development Academy still need to be developed.

Back