USMNT - Turning Point?

Good to see the young player's getting some opportunities and coming through.

Now if we could figure out how to put together more consistent Olympic teams especially on the men's side that would help soccer popularity in the USA.

On to qualifing which we shouldn't have a problem with. Getting into the world cup would be the turning point. Getting to the round of 8 in the WC would be even better and a accomplishment that we should be able to build on.

Turning point? the US team did not look like the better team. If you played a 7 game series mexico would win that. If the US can get to the KO round and do something then I would call that a turning point.
We must have been watching different games. Mexico only dominated a majority of the 1st half. The rest was simply gritty and the US out gritted them. If we are playing “what if’s” then in that 7 game series, can we play our A team instead of the B team we rostered in the Gold Cup?

We must have been watching different games. Mexico only dominated a majority of the 1st half. The rest was simply gritty and the US out gritted them. If we are playing “what if’s” then in that 7 game series, can we play our A team instead of the B team we rostered in the Gold Cup?
Agreed. The entire conversation should really be about this specific US team without implying the one that was not rostered. Two separate teams. The one that was not rostered has an entirely different skill set.

I watched the game where mexico out shot the US 22 to 11 and doubled us up on corner kicks. That sure sounds like Mexico was better Can you back up your statement with stats other than the 1-0 final score?

Does any other stat matter?
yes they do. does the 1-0 score matter? Do stats matter in baseball? how about football? how about basketball? yes they do. they talk about this all the time on espn. +/- for basketball. percentages in baseball. Shit they use these stats to make decisions in game!!!!! GM's in all sports make million dollar decisions based on stats. How do you think they calculate your life insurance, auto, etc. premiums. Using stats.

The US won. Mexico has 22 shots and 11 corners to USA's 11 shots and 6 corners. They were better team but on that given day the US got them. and that really is my point. If anyone thinks this is turning point you are nuts. 4 years ago we didn't even make WC!!!!

yes they do. does the 1-0 score matter? Do stats matter in baseball? how about football? how about basketball? yes they do. they talk about this all the time on espn. +/- for basketball. percentages in baseball. Shit they use these stats to make decisions in game!!!!! GM's in all sports make million dollar decisions based on stats. How do you think they calculate your life insurance, auto, etc. premiums. Using stats.

The US won. Mexico has 22 shots and 11 corners to USA's 11 shots and 6 corners. They were better team but on that given day the US got them. and that really is my point. If anyone thinks this is turning point you are nuts. 4 years ago we didn't even make WC!!!!
So Mexico won because they had 22 shots which only five on target?

Does a shot really matter if it’s not on target?

As has already been said, dig a little deeper and the story begins to balance itself out.

This is a key point to the debate. Berhalter is using this tournament as a way to create a player pool with experience. There are players with little national experience and some who have not played in a few years (essentially dropped by the predecessor). To say there is no growth is not true. This was a chance to see players that could possibly bolster the starting lineup as well as offer a stronger group of players to chose from.

What the US showed was progression against a team that should have beat them. The US showed it can beat Mexico despite fielding an inferior team. It showed with expanding its pool they just became stronger by finding new players they may have excluded from being called in. It showed commitment throughout the game to keep playing and to break down their opponent.

A lot was gained during this event and much learned.

If you take out the first half, what are the stats? What about if you only look at OT?

This is a key point to the debate. Berhalter is using this tournament as a way to create a player pool with experience. There are players with little national experience and some who have not played in a few years (essentially dropped by the predecessor). To say there is no growth is not true. This was a chance to see players that could possibly bolster the starting lineup as well as offer a stronger group of players to chose from.

What the US showed was progression against a team that should have beat them. The US showed it can beat Mexico despite fielding an inferior team. It showed with expanding its pool they just became stronger by finding new players they may have excluded from being called in. It showed commitment throughout the game to keep playing and to break down their opponent.

A lot was gained during this event and much learned.

This is a post that I can wholeheartedly agree on. What I can't agree on is that we have turned a big enough corner that we could make a round of 8. I personally believe that we are far, far away from that. I just don't see the it. And don't even get me started on the WNT, but you are welcome to go back and review 10 years of my posts reflecting both the MNT and the WNT. Then again, you have been around for most of them.

This is a post that I can wholeheartedly agree on. What I can't agree on is that we have turned a big enough corner that we could make a round of 8. I personally believe that we are far, far away from that. I just don't see the it. And don't even get me started on the WNT, but you are welcome to go back and review 10 years of my posts reflecting both the MNT and the WNT. Then again, you have been around for most of them.
-I am optimistic Berhalter has a player pool to make run at the final 8. Though it will comedown to execution when it matters by both the players and the coaching staff to get there. We are definitely many steps away from making the top 4 and possibly what would the end result be after playing in the final 8.
-The WNT needs a change of player personnel right now. No doubt.
-Both programs have had issues, especially the MNT.
-Yes, I've been here a bit (8 years). Though I wish we could retrieve the posts from original forum prior to collapsing. There was a great thread of posts about soccer mom's driving Range Rovers that I would love to read again.:D

THIS^^^^

We are starting to see a lot more younger players play.

Also if you look at our pool, more and more are playing in the top leagues in Europe. This was NOT the case 10 yrs or so ago.
The number of young players at top clubs has never been this great in numbers. If these players continue to grow and become the players we hope they will become could be impactful for a number of years.

One thing I can say is that I like the diversity on the team. I think this is a good reflection doing a better job of opening the pool and looking at all the players that potentially could be capped for the US team. I think players with backgrounds that are African, Latin and African American communities are playing soccer more and are seeing the US National team as a viable option.

At this point without being as technical as the top teams, the US must continue to balance athleticism with the players that are technical. There is still a lot of needed growth, but it is encouraging.

-Yes, I've been here a bit (8 years). Though I wish we could retrieve the posts from original forum prior to collapsing. There was a great thread of posts about soccer mom's driving Range Rovers that I would love to read again.:D
Remember the soccer mom video and the quote "Don't do that"?

???? The US will not make the top 8 World Cup. I hope they do. Let’s try to qualify first
I don't think anyone is necessarily predicting a deep run in the WC.

More of they are looking better and they seem to have some good young players who can help make the team stronger and more competitive.

Winning in CONCACAF is a long way away from doing well in the WC.

Back