USMNT - Turning Point?

The top 7 EPL teams + maybe Arsenal are all better than Sevilla FC (I say this as a supporter of Sevilla since my 20s) and Krasnodar

The top 7 EPL teams + maybe Arsenal are all better than Sevilla FC (I say this as a supporter of Sevilla since my 20s) and Krasnodar
Also interesting that it’s still Real Madrid Barcelona juventus and inter that are holding out from repudiating the super league. The epl clubs folded like a wet blanket

I think they may hold out hope for the money.

Those Spanish and Italian clubs really need the money. It looks like they may have no money to spend this year unless they can get someone dirt cheap or sell some of their players. That could lead to another year of not doing too well in Europe.

Since the rest of their league are not really doing too well either, they all still end up in Champions's League.

UEFA may be trying to ban them for the Superleague thing, which I think is dumb, but if that goes through, they're going to take another financial hit.

Pulisic even though he came off the bench was awesome and that assist was both unselfish and lovely. Perhaps an American in a Champions League final.
Just noticed last night that the goalie for Austin FC is Pulisic. He is a cousin of the well known Pulisic.

Amazing game. Back and forth the whole time. Madness in the stands. If seating wasn’t limited by covid there would have been a riot. The Ref was forced to play a role in the game but was fair without being a factor in the outcome. Seriously that ref kept things from getting crazy. Even the players sensed it but nether team was going to back down.

That wasn't the A team out there.

It seems the US has some good young players with more in the pipeline.

1 starter ( Acosta)that started the Nations Cup final in June .. and probable he wouldn’t have started in June had Adams been healthy

Mexico has 7 starters in this GC final that started in June

couple this loss with arguably getting outplayed by Canada in 2H in semis ( without David or Davies ) and this is a terrible result for Mexico

None of this may matter if they start breezing through qualifying next month

I’d do whatever it takes to get Vela back with this team, and if Jimenez is healthy that would be a big plus

USA looked fast and athletic but technical skills were lower than Mexico. The better team lost yesterday. Good win for USA.
If I only saw the first half, I would agree with you. Towards the end of the second half Mexico's ball skills (particularly first touch) started to degrade. Once in overtime Mexico occasionally showed some skills, but for the most part were outplayed all over the field. I don't think they were the better team.

If I only saw the first half, I would agree with you. Towards the end of the second half Mexico's ball skills (particularly first touch) started to degrade. Once in overtime Mexico occasionally showed some skills, but for the most part were outplayed all over the field. I don't think they were the better team.
I think Berhalter out coached them. He seemed to know when to add our super subs and that turned the tide. For much of the first half I thought we were barely hanging on but in the second the tide seemed to turn where by the end we were starting to dominate.

Turning point? the US team did not look like the better team. If you played a 7 game series mexico would win that. If the US can get to the KO round and do something then I would call that a turning point.

Playing "Better" soccer matters when talking about developing youth players.
Playing "winning" soccer matters when it's senior national or club team. The US win on Sunday was a bit sloppy. Both teams were sloppy- Not just their finishing.
I dont think the US will ever produce a Messi- Heck, Argentina only pumps out a player like that every generation or so. Our soccer roots are scrappy players that play with a ton of heart. And good goal keeping. We didn't have that the last World Cup qualifying cycle. It looks like we are getting back to that. And our players are getting better. We have that scrappiness and we have depth.

I don't see us winning a World Cup anytime soon (or consistently beating Top 10 teams)- But we are looking like we can compete.

Turning point? the US team did not look like the better team. If you played a 7 game series mexico would win that. If the US can get to the KO round and do something then I would call that a turning point.
In overtime, Mexico did not look like the better team. The US did look sloppy, but they also put together some nice passes (compared to normal US teams). The momentum in overtime was clearly with the US in my opinion. During halftime I was predicting a US loss by at least 2 goals.

Pretty simple from my perspective. The US finally embraced the youth movement.

The US team is not as skilled and didn't execute as well as the Mexican team overall. The players being younger than the usual US team were more athletic and were able to create pressured gamed play and make executing difficult which ultimately held Mexico off. The past US teams were unable to do this because older players did not have athleticism and stamina to execute like this.

Late in the 2nd half the Mexican team tired and was unable to keep up. In overtime Mexico's possession and defense was breaking down which ultimately led up to the winning goal. The US is not a point where the are equal technically to Mexico or any of the top teams. They do have a deeper pool of athletic players, that can wear teams down that choose to play a high tempo game.

Pretty simple from my perspective. The US finally embraced the youth movement.

The US team is not as skilled and didn't execute as well as the Mexican team overall. The players being younger than the usual US team were more athletic and were able to create pressured gamed play and make executing difficult which ultimately held Mexico off. The past US teams were unable to do this because older players did not have athleticism and stamina to execute like this.

Late in the 2nd half the Mexican team tired and was unable to keep up. In overtime Mexico's possession and defense was breaking down which ultimately led up to the winning goal. The US is not a point where the are equal technically to Mexico or any of the top teams. They do have a deeper pool of athletic players, that can wear teams down that choose to play a high tempo game.

What you said above is true. And the exact opposite of our current Womens National Team. (well the young and athletic part at least)

Back