US Soccer and Equal Pay

StrikerOC

SILVER ELITE
Just saw this gem and figured I would drop the link and let you all argue about it for the next 6 months

Quoting the first paragraph " U.S. Soccer defended itself in the equal pay lawsuit filed by the U.S. Women’s National Team (USWNT), claiming the World Cup champions’ male counterparts have “more responsibility” and their job “requires a higher level of skill.”

Here is the article

Just because men are bigger, stronger, faster and the men's team would destroy the women's team in a game it doesn't mean they should get paid less. In fact that has nothing to do with how pay should be determined. I believe it should be based on how much revenue you generate. Pay both teams the same base salary and benefits based on the amount of games and training time involved. Then have the remainder paid through bonuses based on the revenue generated. Right now the UWNT has generated more revenue so they should get paid more. If the men ever get things figured out and actually advance far in the World Cup the FIFA bonuses for the men would result in them generating more revenue than the women and thus getting paid more.

I’d love to hear from a few of the men’s team stars (are there any?) - Past and present. Pulisic, Jozy. Bradley. Howard. Landon. Dempsey. Brooks. Steffen. McKennie. Yedlin. Gyasi.
Maybe even Jurgen, Bob and Bruce.

Cordeiro Stepping Down

Good riddance, he was part of the problem but those run very deep for U.S. soccer.

When $$$ and marketing are more important as opposed to actually improving soccer in the U.S. for everyone you know its time for a change. lets hope the women get what they deserve which is equal treatment and fair pay

Just because men are bigger, stronger, faster and the men's team would destroy the women's team in a game it doesn't mean they should get paid less. In fact that has nothing to do with how pay should be determined. I believe it should be based on how much revenue you generate. Pay both teams the same base salary and benefits based on the amount of games and training time involved. Then have the remainder paid through bonuses based on the revenue generated. Right now the UWNT has generated more revenue so they should get paid more. If the men ever get things figured out and actually advance far in the World Cup the FIFA bonuses for the men would result in them generating more revenue than the women and thus getting paid more.

Should US Soccer eliminate the guaranteed $100,000 salary paid to the women for participation in the professional NWSL league? Note, the men do not receive a salary for playing in any professional league.

Should US Soccer eliminate the guaranteed $100,000 salary paid to the women for participation in the professional NWSL league? Note, the men do not receive a salary for playing in any professional league.

Men do not need to receive a salary for playing in a professional league, since thanks to many many years of investment and promotion, they have independent professional league salaries.

US soccer should continue to invest in the growth of the women’s game, including by supporting the NWSL and their players in this way. It is good for women’s soccer, and its good for the growth of the game at all levels.

When there is promotion and investment of the men’s game over and above the women’s, do you also ask whether that money should be spent?

Men do not need to receive a salary for playing in a professional league, since thanks to many many years of investment and promotion, they have independent professional league salaries.

US soccer should continue to invest in the growth of the women’s game, including by supporting the NWSL and their players in this way. It is good for women’s soccer, and its good for the growth of the game at all levels.

When there is promotion and investment of the men’s game over and above the women’s, do you also ask whether that money should be spent?

I agree, paying the USWNT players to play in the NWSL is a smart investment.

With regard to your question, it depends on who is promoting and investing. If its US Soccer doing the promoting and investing, then it should try to strike a balance between promoting all elements of the game, including youth, adult and treat the genders fairly (not equally, but fairly), by putting its investment in areas that will do the most good. If its private companies seeking to profit, then they can do whatever the heck they want.

My follow up question, is given the fact that the USWNT collectively bargained for a guaranteed salary for those USWNT players that play in the NWSL, why should we now completely ignore that salary when determining their compensation and whether that compensation is fair?

I agree, paying the USWNT players to play in the NWSL is a smart investment.

With regard to your question, it depends on who is promoting and investing. If its US Soccer doing the promoting and investing, then it should try to strike a balance between promoting all elements of the game, including youth, adult and treat the genders fairly (not equally, but fairly), by putting its investment in areas that will do the most good. If its private companies seeking to profit, then they can do whatever the heck they want.

My follow up question, is given the fact that the USWNT collectively bargained for a guaranteed salary for those USWNT players that play in the NWSL, why should we now completely ignore that salary when determining their compensation and whether that compensation is fair?
I think your assumption is that the women had enough power in the collective bargaining stage to come up with an agreement they believe is fair. By filing a lawsuit, I think they are showing us that they thought they did not. So no, I don’t think that last collective bargaining agreement should form the basis of what is fair. I think the women deserve investment in the NWSL and I don’t think it should be considered part of their pay. I agree that the federation needs to consider investment across all areas of the game. I think they can afford additional investment in the women’s game and I think increasing that investment is the biggest bang for their buck in growing the game and the market.

Because USWNT players filed the complaint with the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission March 2016 before the contract was negotiated and received approval to sue in federal court from the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission in March 2019. The fact that US Soccer negotiated the future payment arrangement without ensuring the filing for wage-discrimination or their right to sue in the future for past grievances was also taken care of in the collective bargaining agreement shows the ignorance by the US Soccer legal team and US Soccer.

Last edited:
Back