Update on my GK

A couple months ago, I posted here and on another thread (asking advice) about my GK dd who expressed that she was done with soccer. It was a traumatic time for us as a family and her as a player. Her whole life had been soccer - and until that point, her future too. At 15 1/2 (summer of her Freshman HS year) she verbally committed to a D1 school with a 4 year full ride scholarship. Right after HS season (a really bad one raked with injuries and many other negative things), she said she was done. Long story short, the expectations she set for herself, the mental and physical exhaustion and anxiety that had been building up took a toll. We re-grouped, got her the help she wanted and needed - both physical and mental - and most importantly, acknowledged her need for a complete break and rest. She took the spring off soccer completely, with full support and knowledge of her club and college coaches.

It worked. In late July, she initiated her re-entry into soccer on her own terms. She started by training others at a camp - her joy for the sport was reignited by helping young keepers. She also rejoined her team as the new season kicked off and played her first tournament last weekend (Silverlakes) and had an awesome time. She has been working out and re-enters the pitch the strongest and happiest she has been for months. Last night she came to me after practice and said "Mom, thank you for giving me the time and support I needed. I didn't realize how much I missed and loved soccer". And get this - she thanked me for making her work through it. She understands that working through adversity made her stronger and she appreciates even more what she almost gave up. My heart and hers melted together into a tearful puddle of love :) I've got my keeper back.

I share this update because if you are the parent of a keeper, either you have been there, are there, or maybe will be there at some point and in some form or another. My advice is this...if your player needs a break, give it to them. If they say they are done and want to quit, don't panic. Listen and acknowledge it. Take a breath, give them space, get them help, and know that their perspective is 'in the moment' and yours is bigger and broader. Maybe my keeper will reach that point again. If that happens, we will take it as it comes. One day at a time.

Lastly, thank you to those of you on this site that were so positive, reassuring, and gave me the support I needed. It was one of the only outlets I had with people that understood the unique challenges of being the parent of a goalkeeper.

A couple months ago, I posted here and on another thread (asking advice) about my GK dd who expressed that she was done with soccer. It was a traumatic time for us as a family and her as a player. Her whole life had been soccer - and until that point, her future too. At 15 1/2 (summer of her Freshman HS year) she verbally committed to a D1 school with a 4 year full ride scholarship. Right after HS season (a really bad one raked with injuries and many other negative things), she said she was done. Long story short, the expectations she set for herself, the mental and physical exhaustion and anxiety that had been building up took a toll. We re-grouped, got her the help she wanted and needed - both physical and mental - and most importantly, acknowledged her need for a complete break and rest. She took the spring off soccer completely, with full support and knowledge of her club and college coaches.

It worked. In late July, she initiated her re-entry into soccer on her own terms. She started by training others at a camp - her joy for the sport was reignited by helping young keepers. She also rejoined her team as the new season kicked off and played her first tournament last weekend (Silverlakes) and had an awesome time. She has been working out and re-enters the pitch the strongest and happiest she has been for months. Last night she came to me after practice and said "Mom, thank you for giving me the time and support I needed. I didn't realize how much I missed and loved soccer". And get this - she thanked me for making her work through it. She understands that working through adversity made her stronger and she appreciates even more what she almost gave up. My heart and hers melted together into a tearful puddle of love :) I've got my keeper back.

I share this update because if you are the parent of a keeper, either you have been there, are there, or maybe will be there at some point and in some form or another. My advice is this...if your player needs a break, give it to them. If they say they are done and want to quit, don't panic. Listen and acknowledge it. Take a breath, give them space, get them help, and know that their perspective is 'in the moment' and yours is bigger and broader. Maybe my keeper will reach that point again. If that happens, we will take it as it comes. One day at a time.

Lastly, thank you to those of you on this site that were so positive, reassuring, and gave me the support I needed. It was one of the only outlets I had with people that understood the unique challenges of being the parent of a goalkeeper.

That's fantastic news! Well done, mom. #ParentingDoneRight

Great support you showed your daughter. I’m glad she found her love for the game again. We just went through something similar with our son possibly moving between Flight 1 and ECNL. It was hard to work through but we let him make the final choice and that made him happy. And so we are happy.

I’m so happy everything worked out for your keeper. I remember reading your original post and the amount of sadness I felt for her...and you as her mom. Good job on letting her find her way

What a wonderful outcome to your original post. So happy your daughter has refound her love for the sport!

I added so many people to my ignore list from the two recent threads of "turning pro at 13" and "college entrance scam", now I hardly have anything to read on this forum.

I'm glad this forum still served a good purpose. Very happy for you and good luck to your DD.

I added so many people to my ignore list from the two recent threads of "turning pro at 13" and "college entrance scam", now I hardly have anything to read on this forum.

I'm glad this forum still served a good purpose. Very happy for you and good luck to your DD.

That's because this is the sub-forum where all the "Cool People" hang out....;)
We are the only sane ones...but when we are insane...you can't tell because we are sitting by the corner flag pulling our hair out!! :eek:

I just went through this with my son who is an 05. Last season, he played on a DA team for the first time. After the season, he just said he didn’t what to play anymore and needed a break. I was ok with it but it was rough on his mom. He took the summer off and just a couple of weeks ago, decided to play again but not for a DA team cause he said it took his life away. So now he’s playing up on an 04 discovery team.

Back