UNION!

In the ironworkers union you either keep a job or you don’t, that is between you and your employer. If you feel you were treated unfairly the union will help, if you are just a slug you are on your own. All unions should be more like that. After 40 years there was no such thing as seniority. My only seniority was my knowledge and my reputation.
40 years? Are you Messy? I knew a slug back when Pacific Bell had Yellow Page reps who were all union and he had the easiest job in the world. These YP Ad Books were cash cow for mama bell :) Dude would walk in and tell plumber guy that his ads were going up 25% for next years book. Plumber told him to F off and then yp dude walked out. He said AC Tech and Plumber dude would all call at the last minute and say, "find, keep me in the book." The fact is, no YP ad, no phone calls=Out of business.

In the ironworkers union you either keep a job or you don’t, that is between you and your employer. If you feel you were treated unfairly the union will help, if you are just a slug you are on your own. All unions should be more like that. After 40 years there was no such thing as seniority. My only seniority was my knowledge and my reputation.
Public employee unions do not appear to work on the trades model. Seniority is everything.

Why was Derek Chauvin in charge of training other police officers? Chances are, the collective bargaining agreement requires selecting training officers based on seniority. It probably comes with better pay and promotion opportunities.

As a result, older police officers with a reputation for citizen complaints are put in charge of teaching the new police officers. 20 years from now, those new officers will generate their own complaints, because that is how they were taught.

Public employee unions do not appear to work on the trades model. Seniority is everything.

Why was Derek Chauvin in charge of training other police officers? Chances are, the collective bargaining agreement requires selecting training officers based on seniority. It probably comes with better pay and promotion opportunities.

As a result, older police officers with a reputation for citizen complaints are put in charge of teaching the new police officers. 20 years from now, those new officers will generate their own complaints, because that is how they were taught.
All I know is I worked and paid for everything I have thanks in part to union organizing. I talk to people all the time that don’t understand how trade unions work. Heard on the golf course more than a few times, “so I’m paying for your retirement?” Then when I explain how it works I’ve had a couple doubt me, lol! Some people think they know everything and won’t sway for reality.

I can only speak for private industry unions. You have thrown PEU’s. You blame unions for mob activities and the deals politicians agreed to? Unions created the middle class and made America what he became, the wealthiest country in the world.
The question was , do we still need them. Your answer was past tense and also not gender fluid...

Put down that red cup and keep up with the times...

I can only speak for private industry unions. You have thrown PEU’s. You blame unions for mob activities and the deals politicians agreed to? Unions created the middle class and made America what he became, the wealthiest country in the world.
Who wants to be in the middle if we are the wealthiest country in the world? You're just oooozing with union optimism.

The question was , do we still need them. Your answer was past tense and also not gender fluid...

Put down that red cup and keep up with the times...
Someday you, and many others, may realize the propaganda pushed on you is straight from the think tanks of multi-national corporations designed to make you believe your complete support of them doing what’s best for their bottom line is somehow in your best interests. If the fucking commies prevail it may actually turn out to be idiots like you that thought corporate rule was the way to go. Step away from the meth bullshit.

Someday you, and many others, may realize the propaganda pushed on you is straight from the think tanks of multi-national corporations designed to make you believe your complete support of them doing what’s best for their bottom line is somehow in your best interests. If the fucking commies prevail it may actually turn out to be idiots like you that thought corporate rule was the way to go. Step away from the meth bullshit.
This sounds a lot more like self reflection.

Youʻre babbling.

Didn't take long for you to fall off the wagon eh?

And exactly how many people do you employ again poser?

Weren't you one of those guys posting about how mean President Trump had all those people cleared out for a photo op at the church? Lol!

Anytime you want to step back into reality we'll be here waiting...

Cheers!!!

I don't know Ratboy...the gentleman author seemingly disagrees...

Edward Baptist argues in his new book, “The Half Has Never Been Told: Slavery and the Making of American Capitalism,” that the forced migration and subsequent harsh treatment of slaves in the cotton fields was integral to establishing the United States as a world economic power.

This is a bit of a slog to read, but it's has an interesting take on union voters I thought.

This is a bit of a slog to read, but it's has an interesting take on union voters I thought.

A bit of “Oh well that’s me” self loathing with a mix of this is the intellectual slant on why they love trump and live in a fictional world that makes them ‘feel’ better about their perceived victim hood. As far as unions are concerned management has always been against the idea of an organized work force, divide and conquer (basic fundamental of war), no matter what their ideological bent. Bottom line rules. Focus groups and psychological research have informed the powers that be on the worth of swaying public opinion on matters as varied as tobacco consumption to climate change to junk food and yes even getting people to believe that the right to organize should be outlawed. Money rules and buys influence.

A bit of “Oh well that’s me” self loathing with a mix of this is the intellectual slant on why they love trump and live in a fictional world that makes them ‘feel’ better about their perceived victim hood. As far as unions are concerned management has always been against the idea of an organized work force, divide and conquer (basic fundamental of war), no matter what their ideological bent. Bottom line rules. Focus groups and psychological research have informed the powers that be on the worth of swaying public opinion on matters as varied as tobacco consumption to climate change to junk food and yes even getting people to believe that the right to organize should be outlawed. Money rules and buys influence.

Hmm.... is this response in regard to the article I posted? At least my read on what he is saying, is that while you Husker have stayed a committed democrat... statistically this isn't the case for most blue colar union households across the country. So why is that? Paraphrasing here, but Brooks seems to think it's because the elites in the democratic party (think Washington Post owning Jeff Bezos here)... tend to be socially liberal, and anti-union.

Thoughts?

Hmm.... is this response in regard to the article I posted? At least my read on what he is saying, is that while you Husker have stayed a committed democrat... statistically this isn't the case for most blue colar union households across the country. So why is that? Paraphrasing here, but Brooks seems to think it's because the elites in the democratic party (think Washington Post owning Jeff Bezos here)... tend to be socially liberal, and anti-union.

Thoughts?
“Committed democrat”? Lol! I was going to vote for McCain until Palin opened her mouth. Both sides are owned. I simply abhor blatant and, apparently, deliberate ignorance. Ignorance as a virtue is appalling. Most of my union brothers and sisters have continued to support democrats as the alternative is obviously simply playing to the room and at their heart are deeply anti-union, wolf in sheep’s clothing. The wealthy aren’t concerned with labor issues unless it affects their bottom line. I have had many generous offers to run work for non-union companies and have seen how they operate and I will say America will truly regress if that became the norm. Without labor their is no wealth.

“Committed democrat”? Lol! I was going to vote for McCain until Palin opened her mouth. Both sides are owned. I simply abhor blatant and, apparently, deliberate ignorance. Ignorance as a virtue is appalling. Most of my union brothers and sisters have continued to support democrats as the alternative is obviously simply playing to the room and at their heart are deeply anti-union, wolf in sheep’s clothing. The wealthy aren’t concerned with labor issues unless it affects their bottom line. I have had many generous offers to run work for non-union companies and have seen how they operate and I will say America will truly regress if that became the norm. Without labor their is no wealth.

Great comment! "The wealthy aren't concerned with labor issues" is exactly the point. Here's a quote from the article in the Atlantic I shared:
"In 2020, Joe Biden won just 500 or so counties—but together they account for 71 percent of American economic activity, according to the Brookings Institution. Donald Trump won more than 2,500 counties that together generate only 29 percent of that activity."

If you forget about the hand waving and teeth gnashing and look at where the votes are coming from- the democratic party represents the wealthiest parts of the nation. Hence their interest in advancing social issues and not unions- because as you say the wealthy don't care about labor issues.

Back