UNION!

"The Weekend: Brought to You by Labor Unions," reads the bumper sticker.

I see. So those Third World countries looking to escape poverty and enjoy additional leisure just need...some labor unions?

(What's the point of foreign aid, then? Why don't we just save ourselves the money and just tell these countries to unionize instead?)

Until society grows wealthy enough, all the labor unions in the world can't make it possible to take two days a week off from work.

Can you imagine, in the primitive economies of 300 years ago, agitating for a shorter work week? People would have thought you insane.

With little capital, and with most goods produced by hand, it takes all the labor power all the hours it can spare just to make life barely livable.

That's why people worked long hours in terrible conditions in the past (and why they do in the Third World today). Not because short men with white mustaches and a monocle took delight in oppressing them.

What emancipated people from these dehumanizing conditions were capital goods and the market economy. With workers vastly more productive than before, thanks to the assistance of machines, physical output was multiplied in quantity and quality many, many times over. This greater abundance put downward pressure on prices relative to wage rates, and people's standard of living rose. Their paychecks could buy more stuff now, because there was vastly more stuff in existence.

And at that time they began to opt for more leisure and more pleasant working conditions rather than more cash.

If you ask people who work in sweatshops today if they'd prefer to have (1) more pleasant conditions (or fewer working hours) but (2) less take-home pay, they overwhelmingly say no.

Professor Ben Powell of Texas Tech University actually bothered to ask them. (Imagine that: he bothered to ask, rather than assuming he knew what was best for them!) And 90+% of them said that regardless of what Western do-gooders thought they should want, they preferred the money.

Meanwhile, American workers had the eight-hour-day well before their much more heavily unionized counterparts in Europe did, and they earned higher wages. Unionism never accounted for more than a third of the American labor force, and that was at its height.

So whatever your kids' teachers are crediting unions for, just roll your eyes.

My wife and I had some old pals that are both Union Teachers and we dont talk anymore because they think were crazy and rebellious.. My wife still has them as FB pals and we see posts from time to time. The last three weeks they went to Hawaii, out to dinner almost every night and yesterday they got to go to NFL game. Their big cowboys fans. They are living life to the full. Jobs for life, jabs for life and all is good. They do as they are told and do not undermine or question those over them. No open door for them and they are 100% ok with it. They have a combine salary package of $240,000+ a year. Tenure and killer retirement plan. Nice gig for those WHO follow the easy path.

Hmm... thought provoking take on why union membership is shrinking. I don't want to ruin the surprise, but basically it comes down to Union's leaders decision to use union dues to promote progressives 'war' on inequality as opposed to less sexy nuts and bolts labor issues has brought us to a place where less then 40% of American workers say they would vote for a union at their workplace.

Hmm... thought provoking take on why union membership is shrinking. I don't want to ruin the surprise, but basically it comes down to Union's leaders decision to use union dues to promote progressives 'war' on inequality as opposed to less sexy nuts and bolts labor issues has brought us to a place where less then 40% of American workers say they would vote for a union at their workplace.

The war against organized labor started the first time two workers got together and asked for better conditions. Many workers looking for a better life have died at the hands of managements hired thugs. Controlling the narrative is the advantage wealth affords. Divide and conquer. They want profits not mutual well being, period.

The war against organized labor started the first time two workers got together and asked for better conditions. Many workers looking for a better life have died at the hands of managements hired thugs. Controlling the narrative is the advantage wealth affords. Divide and conquer. They want profits not mutual well being, period.

First let me point out that (outside of governmental 'union' jobs) American unions are a sinking ship. Memberships are numbers are shrinking, and 60% of Americans say they would vote against their job unionizing.

My read on that? Beat that 40 hour work week drum all you want, but paying union dues to help elect people who want to raise your taxes and believe in handouts not work... doesn't seem like a winning strategy to stop the slow creeping death of unions in America.

My wife and I had some old pals that are both Union Teachers and we dont talk anymore because they think were crazy and rebellious.. My wife still has them as FB pals and we see posts from time to time. The last three weeks they went to Hawaii, out to dinner almost every night and yesterday they got to go to NFL game. Their big cowboys fans. They are living life to the full. Jobs for life, jabs for life and all is good. They do as they are told and do not undermine or question those over them. No open door for them and they are 100% ok with it. They have a combine salary package of $240,000+ a year. Tenure and killer retirement plan. Nice gig for those WHO follow the easy path.
Espola said it best, FREEDUMB.

Nonsense

“Tradenschmertz”

I propose to dub this impulse “Nutzenschmerz,” or the indignant outrage over someone getting to use something I don’t have.--Mike Munger

First let me point out that (outside of governmental 'union' jobs) American unions are a sinking ship. Memberships are numbers are shrinking, and 60% of Americans say they would vote against their job unionizing.

My read on that? Beat that 40 hour work week drum all you want, but paying union dues to help elect people who want to raise your taxes and believe in handouts not work... doesn't seem like a winning strategy to stop the slow creeping death of unions in America.
Then we give away all that people suffered and died for. Self-fulfilling propaganda has brought us here. You seem very susceptible. Divide and conquer. If more people fall for it like you we are doomed to virtual slavery. I would say anarchy and a booming black market but most people want to do what’s right and will comply with the robber barons wishes, they need to eat.

Then we give away all that people suffered and died for. Self-fulfilling propaganda has brought us here. You seem very susceptible. Divide and conquer. If more people fall for it like you we are doomed to virtual slavery. I would say anarchy and a booming black market but most people want to do what’s right and will comply with the robber barons wishes, they need to eat.

I agree the robber barons are an issue. I just don't think the progressives are going to save you from them.

As to the rest, I see it more as trying to save someone stuck in an abusive relationship then being about propaganda. I'm sorry to be the one to tell you this Husker... but those progressives aren't into the working man.

I agree the robber barons are an issue. I just don't think the progressives are going to save you from them.

As to the rest, I see it more as trying to save someone stuck in an abusive relationship then being about propaganda. I'm sorry to be the one to tell you this Husker... but those progressives aren't into the working man.
That’s why we need term limits, abolish citizens United and outlaw lobbyist. Politicians should not be able to accept emoluments in any way. Professional politicians should be a thing of the past, make’em get a real job.

As far as the propaganda goes. Unions helped build the middle class and now that management has convinced working people to distrust unions, thus weakening all organized labor efforts, the middle class is dividing. The convincing part is where I see the propaganda, am I wrong? Are large business owners not fighting against unions like they always have? People like trump (just using him as the stereotypical stuffed suit big business figurehead he wishes he was) despise unions. Not everyone can be an entrepreneur or business owner. The majority will always either organize for fair treatment or be at the mercy of the powers that be. We are all “Newsies” now.

That’s why we need term limits, abolish citizens United and outlaw lobbyist. Politicians should not be able to accept emoluments in any way. Professional politicians should be a thing of the past, make’em get a real job.
We agree on something! I got run off by the Evangelicals because I dont think ministers should make money. My biological last name is Kirk. Church is not a building to make money. The church is within you, not a cash cow. If we all come together Husker and compromise ((the art of the deal)) we can ALL have a wonderful life on the earth. Share ideas with each other and also share our food and happiness. Love always wins!!

Term limits, unfortunately, throw out the good with the bad.

As far as the propaganda goes. Unions helped build the middle class and now that management has convinced working people to distrust unions, thus weakening all organized labor efforts, the middle class is dividing. The convincing part is where I see the propaganda, am I wrong? Are large business owners not fighting against unions like they always have? People like trump (just using him as the stereotypical stuffed suit big business figurehead he wishes he was) despise unions. Not everyone can be an entrepreneur or business owner. The majority will always either organize for fair treatment or be at the mercy of the powers that be. We are all “Newsies” now.
This is a lot to put on a bumper sticker.

Back