UNION!

In the ironworkers union you either keep a job or you don’t, that is between you and your employer. If you feel you were treated unfairly the union will help, if you are just a slug you are on your own. All unions should be more like that. After 40 years there was no such thing as seniority. My only seniority was my knowledge and my reputation.
40 years? Are you Messy? I knew a slug back when Pacific Bell had Yellow Page reps who were all union and he had the easiest job in the world. These YP Ad Books were cash cow for mama bell :) Dude would walk in and tell plumber guy that his ads were going up 25% for next years book. Plumber told him to F off and then yp dude walked out. He said AC Tech and Plumber dude would all call at the last minute and say, "find, keep me in the book." The fact is, no YP ad, no phone calls=Out of business.

In the ironworkers union you either keep a job or you don’t, that is between you and your employer. If you feel you were treated unfairly the union will help, if you are just a slug you are on your own. All unions should be more like that. After 40 years there was no such thing as seniority. My only seniority was my knowledge and my reputation.
Public employee unions do not appear to work on the trades model. Seniority is everything.

Why was Derek Chauvin in charge of training other police officers? Chances are, the collective bargaining agreement requires selecting training officers based on seniority. It probably comes with better pay and promotion opportunities.

As a result, older police officers with a reputation for citizen complaints are put in charge of teaching the new police officers. 20 years from now, those new officers will generate their own complaints, because that is how they were taught.

Public employee unions do not appear to work on the trades model. Seniority is everything.

Why was Derek Chauvin in charge of training other police officers? Chances are, the collective bargaining agreement requires selecting training officers based on seniority. It probably comes with better pay and promotion opportunities.

As a result, older police officers with a reputation for citizen complaints are put in charge of teaching the new police officers. 20 years from now, those new officers will generate their own complaints, because that is how they were taught.
All I know is I worked and paid for everything I have thanks in part to union organizing. I talk to people all the time that don’t understand how trade unions work. Heard on the golf course more than a few times, “so I’m paying for your retirement?” Then when I explain how it works I’ve had a couple doubt me, lol! Some people think they know everything and won’t sway for reality.