U12 heading

If we have a U11 (no heading) team playing up in a U12 (heading allowed) tournament division how do refs handle this? Is the U11 team allowed to head ball?

If we have a U11 (no heading) team playing up in a U12 (heading allowed) tournament division how do refs handle this? Is the U11 team allowed to head ball?
Yes. It’s not any different than a player playing up or rostered on an older team that is allowed to head the ball. It’s a rule for players with in an age range and age group. I

I checked. The 2015 consent decree explicitly bans all heading by players 10 years old and younger. There is no exception for playing up.

This is a question of US law, not laws of the game. At least within the US, FIFA’s laws of the game do not overrule US law.

I checked. The 2015 consent decree explicitly bans all heading by players 10 years old and younger. There is no exception for playing up.

This is a question of US law, not laws of the game. At least within the US, FIFA’s laws of the game do not overrule US law.

It's not a law, it's a consent decree.

Is the referee going to check everyone's birth certificate?

Do you have a direct link to the text of the consent decree? It was announced at the time as only applicable to teams directly under the control of USSF and MLS (youth national teams, ODP, DA) and are just a recommendation to other youth soccer organizations.

So now that we have solved the concussion problem, what are we going to do about the most common youth soccer injury (especially to girls) - damaged knees?

So now that we have solved the concussion problem, what are we going to do about the most common youth soccer injury (especially to girls) - damaged knees?

consent decree joint statement:

who said we have solved anything? we have a consent decree that is half heartedly enforced. Instead of pulling kids from games, coaches leave them in to try to get the W. Parents yelling “kick it at her head”, hoping the referee will award an undeserved free kick should they succeed.

I’d love for clubs to have minimal standards for ACL tear prevention. Right now, they don’t even track how many girls had knee surgery the previous year.

consent decree joint statement:

who said we have solved anything? we have a consent decree that is half heartedly enforced. Instead of pulling kids from games, coaches leave them in to try to get the W. Parents yelling “kick it at her head”, hoping the referee will award an undeserved free kick should they succeed.

I’d love for clubs to have minimal standards for ACL tear prevention. Right now, they don’t even track how many girls had knee surgery the previous year.

1. That's not the text of the decree. That is a press release put out by the winning law firm.

2. Since almost all cases of soccer-related knee damage occur while running and kicking the ball, perhaps we should follow their example by restricting those activities among younger players.

1. That's not the text of the decree. That is a press release put out by the winning law firm.

2. Since almost all cases of soccer-related knee damage occur while running and kicking the ball, perhaps we should follow their example by restricting those activities among younger players.

2- side topic straw man. Bring up something only tangentially related, make up a bad argument, then shoot it down. In your case, falsely accuse me of wanting to ban running, then point out how silly it is.

As old as Cicero, and jut as lame as when he did it.

1- the link is to the joint statement. all parties to the lawsuit signed it. The losers just don’t feel like bringing it up.

if you prefer the journal of the american medical association,

the agreement was to ban heading for 10 year olds. The agreement was not “ban heading for ten year olds, except the ones who are good enough to play up.”

2- side topic straw man. Bring up something only tangentially related, make up a bad argument, then shoot it down. In your case, falsely accuse me of wanting to ban running, then point out how silly it is.

As old as Cicero, and jut as lame as when he did it.

1- the link is to the joint statement. all parties to the lawsuit signed it. The losers just don’t feel like bringing it up.

if you prefer the journal of the american medical association,

the agreement was to ban heading for 10 year olds. The agreement was not “ban heading for ten year olds, except the ones who are good enough to play up.”

I would prefer to see the actual text of the consent decree, not just everybody's opinion of what it says.

I searched for it for an hour when this topic was first posted. I also looked in the Cal South website to see how it had affected their playing rules. What they have posted under the heading "Bylaws, Rules, and Regulations" and the similar topic heading "Bylaws" were last updated in August 2013, according to the "Added" and "Amended" tags buried within them. Those rules still use August 1 as the cutoff point for age determination and state that Under 10 games shall be 8 players per side. There is no mention of restrictions of heading by younger groups (or of buildout lines, either, but that is another topic). I did find a referee guidance PDF that had a topic titled "Heading is not allowed" without reference to any Cal South or USYSA rule, and then instructions on what to do in case of a violation.

The 2020 State Cup has a table in Section 7.3 Duration of Game on Page 10 with columns title Heading Rule and Build Out Line but without any reference to what those are or how they are to be enforced.

I admit I have been out of the loop for a while on direct communications from the powers that be. Does someone have direct links to satisfy my failed searches? How about the Concussion policy and procedure document or the concussion medical release form?

I am not a lawyer, but a friend who is once told me that if you can't write it down, you can't enforce it.

Back