U.S. Soccer’s Player Development Initiatives

O.k. I've now reffed 2 games with the new build out/offsides rule; seen 3 of DYS games, and seen 2 games for girls...every single team has employed the same strategy (oh sure, some have keeper dribble to the corner, some use the javelin, some have the keeper go to the corner and roll, some have the defender hang back and take the role from the keeper but it's always been the same from there)...keeper gives it to the big legged defender, big legged defender boots it to a forward or winger in a formerly off side position, the striker of course is usually the marquee player and if the forward/winger manages to maintain possession it's usually a one v one situation with the keeper. Ugly soccer, teams passing back a whole lot less than they used to (in 3 games DYS keeper has had 1 back pass whereas before he'd average 1-2 a game). Hate the new rule...have no problem with the build out line but the new offside rule is horrible. Rant complete. :mad:

O.k. I've now reffed 2 games with the new build out/offsides rule; seen 3 of DYS games, and seen 2 games for girls...every single team has employed the same strategy (oh sure, some have keeper dribble to the corner, some use the javelin, some have the keeper go to the corner and roll, some have the defender hang back and take the role from the keeper but it's always been the same from there)...keeper gives it to the big legged defender, big legged defender boots it to a forward or winger in a formerly off side position, the striker of course is usually the marquee player and if the forward/winger manages to maintain possession it's usually a one v one situation with the keeper. Ugly soccer, teams passing back a whole lot less than they used to (in 3 games DYS keeper has had 1 back pass whereas before he'd average 1-2 a game). Hate the new rule...have no problem with the build out line but the new offside rule is horrible. Rant complete. :mad:

Terrific feedback.

I expect most of us would like to see more youth teams focus on passing/posession, use the keeper as an option, and build out of the back. Yet you get to the core reason why some of us think this build out line the wrong approach. Unintended consequences exactly opposite of their goals. If you keep the line but move offside back to midfield, imagine the crowd of players gathered in a 10-15 yard area. It would look like swarmball, or the kick would go over the top and the game would become a series of footraces.

You need to change the mindset and coaching, not the rules. I will ask again -- which European or other system we view as a success/model has implemented this rule?

Terrific feedback.

I expect most of us would like to see more youth teams focus on passing/posession, use the keeper as an option, and build out of the back. Yet you get to the core reason why some of us think this build out line the wrong approach. Unintended consequences exactly opposite of their goals. If you keep the line but move offside back to midfield, imagine the crowd of players gathered in a 10-15 yard area. It would look like swarmball, or the kick would go over the top and the game would become a series of footraces.

You need to change the mindset and coaching, not the rules. I will ask again -- which European or other system we view as a success/model has implemented this rule?

Problem is you cannot change the mindset and coaching - impossible. Most parents want one thing (win), clubs wants one thing (parents money) , and coaches (most unqualified) want one thing (keep both happy to keep their job). Even though we probably have more 'soccer' educated parents on this forum, most posts tend to focus on ranking, predictions, scores, etc. The majority of the posts for 9 year olds here are ranking teams and bragging about winning. It is FUBAR.

Maybe we will just have to wait a generation to have a larger pool of parents that have played soccer and can appreciate the value of playing out the back and thus find good coaches accordingly. There are a few clubs that have the moto of playing out the back from an early age, but still all the parents of the sidelines cringe when a defender pass the play back.

Well, my complaints are actually two fold: 1) I don't think the rule is accomplishing what it's supposed to and 2) the roll out hasn't been particularly smooth. In now 4 of DYS games they've all been called differently:

1. Ref 1: keeper can only roll his goalkicks, must wait for the build out line
2. Ref 2: keeper must kick goalkicks, can roll, throw or kick a save and can wait or not wait for the build out line.
3. Ref 3: keeper must kick goalkicks, must wait for the build out line even on a save
4. Ref 4: keeper can roll or kick his goalkicks, and can wait or not wait for the build out line

I asked two of them (ref to ref) why everyone is calling them differently. Roll out may be smoother in the south from what some of the refs say here on these boards but the ones I've asked all said they are getting differing instructions, notwithstanding what's on the printed rules.

Finally saw one good team actually pass back the ball to the keeper but even this really great team them had a tendency to lose the ball on the swing out to the defenders. You could seem them trying to keep their style under the new rules but struggling under the pressure. Still nice to see a team actually back pass it.

On my way to the store today, I passed by Arbolitos Fields in Poway. There was a girls game going on, so I stopped to watch for a while - it was 2005 girls, so they were playing 11 a side, full-size field with no buildout line, and heading the ball when it seemed appropriate.

On my way back from the store, I stopped to watch a different game - Mexican league, boys about 10 - playing 11 a side, full-size field with no buildout line, and heading the ball when it seemed appropriate.

The build out line needs to go. We suffered through it last season (SCDSL) only to have it not mandated at State Cup. CSL teams had a marked advantage for not following these rules.

Call me a geek but I was reviewing the links on the US Soccer Initiatives at the Cal South website. I read the link for 2018/2019 season and freaked out when I saw that G2006 will still be playing on a small sided field next year and adding 2 players per team. This has to be a typo because it is so painful to watch G2006 (that are huge on our team as the average height is about 5'3" or taller) play on the small sided field. It just looks like the battle of bodies rather than soccer. I don't think they are getting more touches on the foot and the potential for injury is much greater. It is just a game of foul after foul after foul which is what you would expect when you cram too many large players into a small field. Many of the goalkeepers at this level can touch the top post with little or no effort. I went to the US Soccer site and read the information they put out and couldn't find anywhere that U13 in the 2018/2019 season will still have to play on a small field. Please tell me this is a typo on Cal South's part. If it isn't, someone from US Soccer needs to come watch a couple of games. http://media.calsouth.com/data/Downloads/PDIs/USSF_SSG_Chart_update51117doc2_2018-2019.pdf?rev=A6A8

Call me a geek but I was reviewing the links on the US Soccer Initiatives at the Cal South website. I read the link for 2018/2019 season and freaked out when I saw that G2006 will still be playing on a small sided field next year and adding 2 players per team. This has to be a typo because it is so painful to watch G2006 (that are huge on our team as the average height is about 5'3" or taller) play on the small sided field. It just looks like the battle of bodies rather than soccer. I don't think they are getting more touches on the foot and the potential for injury is much greater. It is just a game of foul after foul after foul which is what you would expect when you cram too many large players into a small field. Many of the goalkeepers at this level can touch the top post with little or no effort. I went to the US Soccer site and read the information they put out and couldn't find anywhere that U13 in the 2018/2019 season will still have to play on a small field. Please tell me this is a typo on Cal South's part. If it isn't, someone from US Soccer needs to come watch a couple of games. http://media.calsouth.com/data/Downloads/PDIs/USSF_SSG_Chart_update51117doc2_2018-2019.pdf?rev=A6A8

How in the world is the average size on an 06 team 5'3? What's in the water up there?

That's CSL for you LOL
Actually, CSL and Cal South were playing according to the US Soccer guidelines. SCDSL decided on its own accord to go beyond those guidelines and use a build-out line for U11 (2006 last year) where it was not recommended by US Soccer. Don't think SCDSL ever explained its rationale. That's SCDSL for you.

Eleven year old girls, that's how. Some twelve year old girls are even taller, much taller 5'9, 5'10. That's only one year difference.

My daughter's 04 team must be full of midgets. They average about 5'3. I don't see many girls at 5'9 or 5'10, even at this age.

How in the world is the average size on an 06 team 5'3? What's in the water up there?
LOL. My daughter is 5'1" and just turned 11 the other day so she is one of the younger ones on her team. There are many girls on her team that are taller than her. She has always been in the 85th or 90th percentile yet she is shorter than most of the Keepers we play against. At this age, the kids are all over the map because they are at different stages in their growth spurts.

Fields are too small right now with 9v9. I really hope that's a typo.
Why do you think they're too small? 2004 boys played 9v9 in DA last year after playing 11v11 the year prior. At first it felt too small. After they adjusted the benefits of the small field and less players on the field became very clear...tighter spaces, quicker thinking, higher tempo, and more touches. It was just what they needed. If your kid's team is struggling on the smaller field, good for him/her and teammates. They will be better for it in the long run.

Why do you think they're too small? 2004 boys played 9v9 in DA last year after playing 11v11 the year prior. At first it felt too small. After they adjusted the benefits of the small field and less players on the field became very clear...tighter spaces, quicker thinking, higher tempo, and more touches. It was just what they needed. If your kid's team is struggling on the smaller field, good for him/her and teammates. They will be better for it in the long run.

If you reduced the player count to 5, made the field even smaller and harder and perhaps made the ball less lively, you would get even more of those benefits. And so no one is confused, you could call it something cool and foreign sounding, like "Futsal."

Always thought at u11, 10 year olds, was a bit early for large fields. But 12 year olds who are likely in their 4th-5th year of club soccer (last year's 04 teams), are probably ready for the challenges of a larger field and 11v11, at least in some quantity. Then benefits/skills you outline already received both at younger ages and during training.

I am curious, when is 11v11 introduced in Spanish, German and English youth clubs? Honestly do not know.

If you reduced the player count to 5, made the field even smaller and harder and perhaps made the ball less lively, you would get even more of those benefits. And so no one is confused, you could call it something cool and foreign sounding, like "Futsal."

Always thought at u11, 10 year olds, was a bit early for large fields. But 12 year olds who are likely in their 4th-5th year of club soccer (last year's 04 teams), are probably ready for the challenges of a larger field and 11v11, at least in some quantity. Then benefits/skills you outline already received both at younger ages and during training.

I am curious, when is 11v11 introduced in Spanish, German and English youth clubs? Honestly do not know.

Why are we always trying to follow or implement some other counties system? Why don't we just focus and build our identity in the soccer world?

Back