U-15 Girls National Training Camp Kansas October 6-9

Can you dive in a little more on how US Soccer goes through the actual selection process on the player they select and why?
US Soccer has posted on how they have scouts that identify players, but if you really want the real scoop, you're not going to get it. Being on a YNT is not where it's at. It's a nice feather in the cap and good marketing for college recruitment but no real indication of what is to come. Getting recruited and playing on good college program/team is where you can be identified/scouted to be on the U20s, U23s and Senior team. That is real meat and potatoes.

Awesome!!! Congrats on what all these young athletes have accomplished. I like 59 too. More is better at this young age :)

12 young lady's from SoCal

Real So Cal = 3 one is a goalie
Beach = 2 one is a goalie
LA Galaxy = 1
Blues = 2 one is a goalie
LAFC = 1 just moved from Beach
LA Surf = 1
Surf = 2
It's cool ECNL got one pick in SoCal. That's a good improvement from last time right?

It's cool ECNL got one pick in SoCal. That's a good improvement from last time right?

Still mostly looks like the DA all star team. Not bad, but not quite a national team, either.

I wonder how long until DA and ECNL each write their own version of the offside rule......

Still mostly looks like the DA all star team. Not bad, but not quite a national team, either.

I wonder how long until DA and ECNL each write their own version of the offside rule......
One ECNL player for 05 in SoCal is better than zero. So let's keep it positive dad of 4? Holy moly bro, congrats :) After my dd, it was no more :)

Being on a YNT is not where it's at. It's a nice feather in the cap and good marketing for college recruitment but no real indication of what is to come.

And possibly why the USWNT U17's haven't won a World Cup in the past 10 years, many years not even qualifying. With all the talent in the US, why are our younger teams doing so poorly when our senior teams do so well?

My guess is that someone from US Soccer who had been charged with the YNT social media and other press reports has left. The pages for the various YNT levels have fallen off and the roster for the recent U18 camp was not publicly released until after the camp started (in the past, it would appear on US Soccer's site a day or two before camp and then Top Drawer and Soccer America the same or the next day). I think the diminished coverage is not unique to the girls' side (and most of the coverage on, say, Twitter happens only during an international trip while they cover the games (during one friendly trip in the past, they covered not just the games but also the side trips, visit with locals, etc.)

I don’t think so. The u16 boys just had a camp and they wrote that one up. Don’t know why they didn’t for U15 girls or maybe it’s just late.

I don’t think so. The u16 boys just had a camp and they wrote that one up. Don’t know why they didn’t for U15 girls or maybe it’s just late.

The U18 WNT just had a camp and they wrote that up - late. My point is not that a camp does or does not get missed but that all of it has slacked in the last year or so, on both the boys' and girls' side. It was much more robust before and I'm guessing that someone left (they have even taken down a lot of the articles, game summaries (not just scores), etc.). And, much like the U18 WNT, US Soccer posted about the U15 GNT, just late: https://www.ussoccer.com/stories/20...o-u15-girls-ynt-talent-id-camp-in-kansas-city.

If you go by just the recent activity, it may be that there appears to be some discrimination but it is really hard to assess whether the girls are getting short shrift w/o being able to see it over the last several years (and b/c of changes in the readily viewable content, it is tough to do that). Since I've been closely watching (3 or 4 years), my recollection is that coverage has been pretty even.

And whether or not I have a kid in the age group, I am glad they post these rosters - I am always interested to see the geographic spread, the GDA/ECNL/other split, the repeat attendees, new faces, etc. And when my own kid has been selected, I do like that she gets the notoriety for her hard work (I will admit to that narrow interest)

US Soccer has posted on how they have scouts that identify players, but if you really want the real scoop, you're not going to get it. Being on a YNT is not where it's at. It's a nice feather in the cap and good marketing for college recruitment but no real indication of what is to come. Getting recruited and playing on good college program/team is where you can be identified/scouted to be on the U20s, U23s and Senior team. That is real meat and potatoes.
Agree. Based on the limited stats I've seen of the girls rostered on the younger YNT's and that actually make "The" National Team, the YNT is not a great predictor. I assume this larger group at the younger age is US Soccer's effort to make sure they don't narrow their scope too early. It makes a lot of sense as these girls are 14 and 13. It is worth noting that US Soccer made sure the girls knew this was an "ID" camp and they asked that they not post anything on social media that has the National Team crest as they "haven't earned" that.

And possibly why the USWNT U17's haven't won a World Cup in the past 10 years, many years not even qualifying. With all the talent in the US, why are our younger teams doing so poorly when our senior teams do so well?
I wonder how much of the USWNT's success had to do with other countries not putting any significant resources towards their women's program? That has changed in recent years. From my admittedly limited perspective, it appears to me that the training for the US men and US women don't differ that much in the youth programs. The US women's greater success has been due to having a higher percentage of the top female athletes in soccer than the men and other countries not putting resources into their women's program.

Agree. Based on the limited stats I've seen of the girls rostered on the younger YNT's and that actually make "The" National Team, the YNT is not a great predictor. I assume this larger group at the younger age is US Soccer's effort to make sure they don't narrow their scope too early. It makes a lot of sense as these girls are 14 and 13. It is worth noting that US Soccer made sure the girls knew this was an "ID" camp and they asked that they not post anything on social media that has the National Team crest as they "haven't earned" that.

Looking at the WNT roster, most (not all) of those players were in the youth pool at some point. Looking from the bottom up, of course most YNT players don’t make the full WNT but that is because the funnel narrows.
US Soccer has explicitly said they are trying to broaden their scope. They increased the initial U14 boys pool to 120 last year (and will do the same for the U14 girls this year), and increased the initial U15 and U16 pools for both genders to 60 (vs the previous 48).
As for your last statement about not having earned the crest, that sounds like interpretation on your part. The girls were simply asked to comply with the standard US Soccer YNT social media guidelines. They earned it the same as any pool player ever does.

Looking at the WNT roster, most (not all) of those players were in the youth pool at some point. Looking from the bottom up, of course most YNT players don’t make the full WNT but that is because the funnel narrows.
US Soccer has explicitly said they are trying to broaden their scope. They increased the initial U14 boys pool to 120 last year (and will do the same for the U14 girls this year), and increased the initial U15 and U16 pools for both genders to 60 (vs the previous 48).
As for your last statement about not having earned the crest, that sounds like interpretation on your part. The girls were simply asked to comply with the standard US Soccer YNT social media guidelines. They earned it the same as any pool player ever does.
Yes, it's good to hear they are making an effort to broaden the scope. The one statistic I was referring to was a YNT group at the youngest age - U14 I believe. As for my last statement, I didn't interpret it, but it is "second-hand". Take it for what it's worth. I don't believe it is a big deal if it was stated.

It was not stated anywhere that they could not post on social media. They were given the same social media guidelines that all National Team players are given, to represent the federation in a honorable way. As the story states these players are in the U15 player pool and they have earned it. Yes, my kid was there and she earned it like the other 59 players (there were 60 not 59).

It was not stated anywhere that they could not post on social media. They were given the same social media guidelines that all National Team players are given, to represent the federation in a honorable way. As the story states these players are in the U15 player pool and they have earned it. Yes, my kid was there and she earned it like the other 59 players (there were 60 not 59).
It's an awesome accomplishment and well deserved. 59, 24, 48, 60, 120, who cares :) You should be proud and stoked all in one :) From this group of 60 will they put a GOAT team of 22 to play Netherlands 05 next year? This age is very important for U17 World Cup. That's why when 04 age was picked the first time they had 12 05's out of 48. This group has zero 06s out of 60. Even age kids, 02, 04 and 06 are for U18 and U20. The time to peak for 04 I guess is SR year in HS?

I have watched a few YNT games over the years. In my opinion the teams do not play together as a team very well. There seems to be to many dribblers, not enough accurate passers. The teams also do not do a good job of varying their point of attack but instead seem to run everything through the same few players in the games I have watched.

Interesting... I know 3 girls, personally, on that list of invitees. One is very good... not great, #2 isn't even the best player on her team and the 3rd is listed as playing for an ECNL team when she's DA. WTF?

Back