Tryouts in December?

I think all ages should go dark, no practice or games, from the Monday after Thanksgiving through MLK weekend. This is already the case for the olders due to high school soccer, but would give the youngers a much needed chance to recover from injuries and allow some family time.

Also a good idea.

The problem is you got clubs who are actively signing kids as soon as season is over and also doing everything under the sun to keep all their players. Some clubs even hold pay over coaches heads if they don’t have full or current team signed by end of December. So we a system where parents aren’t loyal to teams and club isn’t loyal to anyone but the money. Now, if your coach is good and have good teammates you should be loyal to them until state cup is over. Cal South can fix these issues but they dont. Over last couple years seen teams who didn’t even have enough original rostered kids allowed to play in state cup. Clubs usually don’t care about state cups as a competition, they are only worried who is signed for next season. State Cup is only important to sell kids to stay or selling new kids coming in. So Cal South locking rules down tight would help with some of this nonsense - better selling clubs will just sell parents another way though. State cup for yongers should start 1st week of December and olders two weeks after HS season is over. No matter what clubs will push up tryouts - seen clubs on here already having tryouts. Clubs really don’t have respect for one another

I think all ages should go dark, no practice or games, from the Monday after Thanksgiving through MLK weekend. This is already the case for the olders due to high school soccer, but would give the youngers a much needed chance to recover from injuries and allow some family time.
But then how do they stay conditioned? I'm not implying "hard core" workouts/practices but you can lose a lot of endurance with that much time off.

But then how do they stay conditioned? I'm not implying "hard core" workouts/practices but you can lose a lot of endurance with that much time off.
Conditioning and endurance is over emphasized for youth players by bad coaches. Unless you're talking about professional, national team players, or college players, who have to maintain a certain level of "form", youth athletes can regain whatever conditioning they "lost" within a week of resuming practice. If you're talking about ages under 13, a month of rest is far better for their growing bodies than any conditioning regimen. Just give 'em a ball and let them juggle and dribble and play pick up games if they want. And if they don't want to, you probably want this more than they do.

Conditioning and endurance is over emphasized for youth players by bad coaches. Unless you're talking about professional, national team players, or college players, who have to maintain a certain level of "form", youth athletes can regain whatever conditioning they "lost" within a week of resuming practice. If you're talking about ages under 13, a month of rest is far better for their growing bodies than any conditioning regimen. Just give 'em a ball and let them juggle and dribble and play pick up games if they want. And if they don't want to, you probably want this more than they do.
I see your point to some degree. But I remember loving to run in junior high and I would lose a whole minute on my mile over winter break. It'd get it back quickly but would bum me out. I think practices are a good thing during down time. Maybe not make them mandatory if families want to vacation or rest. But it keeps the kids active and engaged. Honestly, if my kid had that long of a break, Fortnite would dominate. I'm aware that would be partially my fault but it's difficult to monitor in a dual income family. I'd rather my kids be active and stay conditioned while we're both at work.

Some clubs are already starting tryouts this month disguised as open "kickarounds". Plus many kids are already practicing with other clubs looking towards next year. Actually waiting for tryouts before you introduce yourself to a club is one of the least effective ways to find a new team. Not saying its right but that's how it is.
Yes they are, agree with your stance. November tryouts in full swing!

Back