Tryout season is here.....

We are 6 games into the fall season and clubs are starting to advertise for "next season". (What does that even mean anymore?)
With State Cup going into the Spring season and rosters being frozen- What are clubs going to do here?
This is the first one I've seen. I'm sure the rest will follow soon.

1634081624076.png

We are 6 games into the fall season and clubs are starting to advertise for "next season". (What does that even mean anymore?)
With State Cup going into the Spring season and rosters being frozen- What are clubs going to do here?
This is the first one I've seen. I'm sure the rest will follow soon.

View attachment 11856

tryouts during the week of Thanksgiving ?

I don’t see how you suspend tryouts until after State Cup

aren’t most club fees for a calendar year? How are the vast majority of clubs going float their expenses for 3-4 months

my guess is most are going fall within that 6-7 week break from early December to mid Jan.

state cup knock out rounds should be interesting

Trying out for your $$ or check book.

Fall tryouts? In late Nov ? I dunno winter break is likely soon after those tryouts so they can sit on that new money until after the new year or something?

Doesn't the socal league finish the fall part around 3rd week in November so don't get how you can have tryouts after and call that fall.

Don't fall for the money grab, scammers?

Broken record, but tryouts are for the benefit of the club, not the player. They're mostly to fill the lower teams for $$ purposes. When you attend an open tryout you give the power to the Club to assign your kid to a coach and team. Plus, open tryouts are a terrible way to identify a players ability. Don't do it. Instead identify teams and coaches you would want your child to play for. The vast majority of coaches are open to having a new kid practice with a team. Don't know any coaches or teams, ask around. Parents are more than willing to give their opinion.

Contact the coach(s) way ahead of tryouts to join a practice(s). The coach will get a good idea regarding your players abilities, and you will get a good idea of whether the coach and team are a good fit for your kid. Some clubs require existing players to tryout, but otherwise, I would avoid tryouts all together (other than for may be for the youngest new players). They are the worst way to get on a team.

Just be prepared if word gets around to your current coach and club that your practicing with another team. There are couple clubs I know that will expel you immediately if they find out, but that is typically only an issue for the top level teams. Most coaches just get irritated, which is ironic since they wouldn't hesitate to bring a new kid to replace your kid.

Broken record, but tryouts are for the benefit of the club, not the player. They're mostly to fill the lower teams for $$ purposes. When you attend an open tryout you give the power to the Club to assign your kid to a coach and team. Plus, open tryouts are a terrible way to identify a players ability. Don't do it. Instead identify teams and coaches you would want your child to play for. The vast majority of coaches are open to having a new kid practice with a team. Don't know any coaches or teams, ask around. Parents are more than willing to give their opinion.

Contact the coach(s) way ahead of tryouts to join a practice(s). The coach will get a good idea regarding your players abilities, and you will get a good idea of whether the coach and team are a good fit for your kid. Some clubs require existing players to tryout, but otherwise, I would avoid tryouts all together (other than for may be for the youngest new players). They are the worst way to get on a team.

Just be prepared if word gets around to your current coach and club that your practicing with another team. There are couple clubs I know that will expel you immediately if they find out, but that is typically only an issue for the top level teams. Most coaches just get irritated, which is ironic since they wouldn't hesitate to bring a new kid to replace your kid.
Really can’t avoid your current coach/team finding out right? At least in Norcal, the open tryout window is only once a year. Any time outside of that window, you need DOC permission in order to tryout/practice with another team. Clubs are very cautious as they don’t want to be accused of recruiting. Upcoming tryouts next month that clubs are advertising about are geared towards rec players want to play competitive for the first time.

At least in Norcal, the open tryout window is only once a year. Any time outside of that window, you need DOC permission in order to tryout/practice with another team. Clubs are very cautious as they don’t want to be accused of recruiting.
Not remotely the case in SoCal. Recruiting, direct or indirect, is going on 12 months a year at least at the highest levels. On the boys side in ECNL and MLS Next there is always a bump in player movement after the start of the season as players (or more so parents) become disillusioned with their teams and/or playing time. Do some clubs and leagues have an "ask permission" first policy? Yep, but its largely ignored. Clubs don't ask your permission before they add a kid that puts your kid to the bench, even after the the roster was "finalized" weeks or months before. Some clubs will play hardball and refuse to release your kid's players' card, ironically its usually the same clubs that have no problem taking a player from another club during the season.

Not remotely the case in SoCal. Recruiting, direct or indirect, is going on 12 months a year at least at the highest levels. On the boys side in ECNL and MLS Next there is always a bump in player movement after the start of the season as players (or more so parents) become disillusioned with their teams and/or playing time. Do some clubs and leagues have an "ask permission" first policy? Yep, but its largely ignored. Clubs don't ask your permission before they add a kid that puts your kid to the bench, even after the the roster was "finalized" weeks or months before. Some clubs will play hardball and refuse to release your kid's players' card, ironically its usually the same clubs that have no problem taking a player from another club during the season.
I see. I guess my comment is specific to Norcal Premier and maybe whatever is the equivalent in Socal.

I don’t see how you suspend tryouts until after State Cup

aren’t most club fees for a calendar year? How are the vast majority of clubs going float their expenses for 3-4 months

my guess is most are going fall within that 6-7 week break from early December to mid Jan.

state cup knock out rounds should be interesting
I think most fees/contracts have typically said "your commitment ends when our team is done with State Cup."
But teams have always added new players for the season as soon as the Fall season ends. And the State Cup team is 60% returning players and 40% players that will be leaving as fast as they can once they get knocked out of State Cup.
This has been the case when the fall season ended in November.
But now we have league games going into the following calendar year:
SoCal League has younger age groups wrapping the season at the end of January. Older Age groups play the "season" until late March.

Maybe these "tryouts" are really only geared towards trying to get players from AYSO/Rec leagues as soon as their fall seasons end.

Tryouts these days are really tryouts for the parents and how to stroke egos and so much more. I was never approached in person or over the phone about coming out to tryouts. I was in the camp where my kid was invited to the other teams "practice" and pissed off parents in the process. My dd Doc was super cool and just asked to never miss a practice or a game with current team but always gave a blessing for any girl who was interested in playing a match on da pitch. I love you Tad for being honest and allowing girls to be free and independent :) His model was by far the best model. He never had tryouts for new players. Pick up games, yes, but never a tryout. Thanks for the two years you gave my dd coach :)

When the SCSL schedule came out and I saw that the "Fall" season doesn't end until the end of March I was dumfounded.

When the SCSL schedule came out and I saw that the "Fall" season doesn't end until the end of March I was dumfounded.

70% of the schedule ends in Nov but let's bring them back for the remaining 30% between Jan and March depending on the AG or something like that.

Dragging this out just to say what?

What is tryout season? Seems like tryouts never end here…

I see new kids practicing with the team all the time and if there is a quality player, they’ll get some steep discount to leave their current club.

Asking about past experiences here. What are some things players and parents should be looking out for during tryouts/practices? It is typical to ask a lot of questions? How communicative are the clubs/coaches in giving information before you decide? Playing time is important so I would think it is ok to ask to how many kids are already on the roster. I guess the best way to look at that is to show up to a game and watch right?

"Open" training advertising starting to heat up, they new way to "tryout"

Yeah ask your player what there opinions are of any club & team prior to attending. They will know unless it's some out of areas type deal.

Coaching and how the players are utilizied is normally obviously at any games being watched so that's a good start.

Asking about past experiences here. What are some things players and parents should be looking out for during tryouts/practices? It is typical to ask a lot of questions? How communicative are the clubs/coaches in giving information before you decide? Playing time is important so I would think it is ok to ask to how many kids are already on the roster. I guess the best way to look at that is to show up to a game and watch right?
Look out for liars Jar. I was fooled big time by a trickster with an accent and was even threaten with "STFU or Else" when I wanted leave The Family. This soccer family stuff is weird so watch out. Look for one year at a time kind of development. Good luck man :)

How do I look out for liars? Looking to send my kid to a few practices. The ideal situation would be to find a team that needs players (for example, routinely only has 1 or 2 subs for a 11v11 game). I'm realistic and not thinking that my kid will displace a starter that is doing well and I wouldn't expect that. Current team will be going through some reorganization and club has too small of a player pool to compete, that's why I'm looking.

Back