Trouble at Manteca Rangers?

With the COVID-19 shelter in place in CA and the gradual reopening in phases within each county, soccer has been at a standstill for every club in the country. Each league in CA will need to follow their county guidelines when it comes to returning to play as well as their city guidelines. Each county and city may have different guidelines when sports may return to play. We, of course, will need to follow the City of Manteca guidelines of when the fields will be open for play.

At this current time, there is no player movement until the revised open tryout window scheduled for June 8-28,2020. An open tryout window means that players are free to tryout with any club they wish and do not need to request a release from their current club to do so. Currently, all clubs are shut down and are awaiting approval on how and when clubs can move forward going into the new season. As for the Rangers tryouts, we will post the dates on our website shortly and will also send out the tryout dates to our membership. We understand that some families may be hesitant to return to soccer or may have some financial difficulties due to the COVID-19 pandemic. Our club will only move forward with the safety of our players in mind, so please communicate with us, so we can offer our help or assistance during this unprecedent time in our lives. We are here to help our families and players.

It is the hope that clubs will be able to return to practice in May and will be able to continue with the revised tryout window in June. With the bay area counties on shelter in place until the end of May, NorCal may need to make changes to the tryout window. Return to play will be based on county and city guidelines for field use for sports teams. As our leadership starts to get more information from NorCal, we will update our membership, so families can make their own informed decisions about returning to soccer.

Yours in soccer,

Trisha Gonzales
Manteca Rangers DOC

I have some concerns.

I have decided to take my kids out of Manteca Rangers due to numerous issues. These issues range from mismanaged funds to extremely late payments to coaches and payments being withheld until those coaches signed new agreements. Rangers has been bleeding money for the past few years now. Sue Gonzales, the treasurer will not provide the BOD with an accounting of the money she has spent. Her daughter Trish Gonzales, has also seen an increase in her salary upwards of 40k.

Now the league is telling us families, (keep in mind several coaches and parents have informed Rangers of their departure) that no money will be refunded to the teams for missed Tournaments and or spring season due to COVID-19. Beyond, the morale issues, this feels like its retaliation for families who wish to leave a club that is severely mismanaged and very poorly led. I have emailed the BOD several times but not gotten any answers. Obviously, things are a mess.

I'm a sucker for a "trouble at" thread....tradition carried on from a couple of different norcal forums. Yep, their 990s don't look too good. In 2018 they somehow lost $100k with total revenues of just about $327K (increased revenue offset with big expense increases). Pretty good work for such a tiny club.

Regardless, what does a family do if they are planning on leaving a club? Norcal premier is allowing clubs to register their own players prior to the transfer window. My guess is that clubs are going to be conservative and just try to register who they can of their existing players and form teams from that pool.

If nothing works out for your kids during the transfer window, maybe just hold tight and wait until the Fall to find a team? As long as you aren't affiliated with a club, at least you can do some trainings prior to picking their destination.

Back