Traveling Out of State for Tournament

forksnbolts

SILVER
We'll be flying across country for a tournament in a few weeks, it will be our first out of state tournament. I was wondering how much gear your goalkeeper usually takes with them to out of state tournaments (i.e. jerseys, sliders/pants/shorts,etc.).

I was going to let someone else respond, but since no one has here you go. My kid takes all of her kits with her whenever we travel. She doesn't use sliders or pants anymore so it is the warmup kits, and the game kits. I insist that she bring a backup pair of gloves. When she used to wear the sliders it was bring two (wear one, let the other air dry inside out). And bring all the socks you own; nothing worse than wet and dirty socks.
Hope this helps. Good luck.
PS Air dry everything as soon as you get back to the room.

Last edited:
And if all else fails know that you can replace everything when you get there. We went to vegas cup one year and my keeper left her soccer bag at home - we left after a high school game for an older sibling and pulled into vegas at 1am. First game was at 9:30 - we were at dicks at 8 and re-kited with cheap stuff to get her through.

PS Air dry everything as soon as you get back to the room.

We also had a couple of parent volunteers that did laundry. All of the players had net bags with their names on them that we would wash and dry the uniforms in (but some invariably came out of the bags, just have some of the players help sort the unknowns). DD's team became seasoned travelers and would usually forego eating out and ask for takeout in the lobby so they could rest more.

Packing List: 2 pairs of gloves, home and away kit (top, shorts, & socks), one pair of cleats, sliders, shin guard sleeves, warmup shirt, team jacket and slides.

Thank you all for your responses! DS is guesting with the team he is traveling with so I need to see if I can snag a warm up shirt from the coach. So at least he can match with the team.

And if you are going to Dallas, getting soaked in a thunderstorm and not having time to dry overnight.

One year in Dallas, it rained every day but we still got the games in. The next year was steady wind every day. We had one game where balls flying in the wind evaded our GK once on each end of the pitch.

And if you are going to Dallas, getting soaked in a thunderstorm and not having time to dry overnight.
One year in NC, it rained either before or during every game. At the end of that trip the inside of the rental vans were covered in brown grass clippings, including the headliner. Take enough large trash bags to hold all of the teams backpacks for rainy games.

We are heading to Florida, but you never know what to expect until you’re there. Keep the tips coming!
Some generic travel with team tips.
1. Try to avoid eating dinner at restaurants until after the last game by finding a good Italian place and get takeout trays of pasta, salad and bread. This will save money AND help keep the players rested. Chinese takeout also works well.
2. Have healthy snacks and water in the rooms for the players.
3. Be sure some parents (and at least one mom) are always at the hotel while players are there.
4. If traveling with a girls team and you as a dad need to knock on a player's door, look away from the door before it is opened.

Some generic travel with team tips.
1. Try to avoid eating dinner at restaurants until after the last game by finding a good Italian place and get takeout trays of pasta, salad and bread. This will save money AND help keep the players rested. Chinese takeout also works well.
2. Have healthy snacks and water in the rooms for the players.
3. Be sure some parents (and at least one mom) are always at the hotel while players are there.
4. If traveling with a girls team and you as a dad need to knock on a player's door, look away from the door before it is opened.

If you are heading east, have a team meal at the local evening meal time the night before the first game.

Update: It rained. Non-stop rain, then sunshine, then more rain.

If you are looking for information about traveling out of state with your goalkeeper please read all the comments and prepare accordingly.

Back