Transitioning to 9v9

WillJohn

SILVER ELITE
My daughter is a 2010 and going to 9v9 next year so looking to see what others' experience has been when you transitioned. She played in a tournament this weekend and I noticed the 2009 girls were playing on the same size fields. 9 players each side with no build out lines. Every time both goalies got the ball they booted it past mid-field. No building out of the back and connecting passes, just plain kick ball. Is that what is going to happen when my DD goes to 9v9? Does it make a difference if it's Flight 1 / Flight 2/3?

It's hard to play out of the back in 9v9 for several reasons:
  • Need all players to be at a certain skill level
  • Small field, not a lot of space/time to play out of back
  • Bad playing surface can hamper ability to control ball in back
  • First year playing out of back with no BOL
I remember watching Albion 09 first team sticking to their guns and trying to play out of the back early in the season. I had a lot of respect for them for sticking to their development plan...but they were getting punished for it. This does not mean 9v9 devolves into kick ball across the entire field. The most successful teams in 9v9 are the ones that can pass and play out of pressure. The majority of flight 1 teams can pass and play some good soccer. The bottom flight 1 and flight 2/3 teams is mostly kickball.

Gone are the days where you had that fast forward getting a touch past the last defender and going to goal. Players that relied solely on speed/size typically struggle as they go from 7v7 to 9v9. Players/teams that have been working on their technical skills start to reap more of those rewards in 9v9.

just had our first season 9v9.

Overall, it seems the long ball clubs still play long ball. The play it from the backfield clubs still play it out of the back.

But not a big change in tone. The variety in midfield play was more interesting. several clubs play 2 midfielders 9v9 instead of 1 midfielder 7v7.

Work on first touch – juggling, kicking against the wall, or Toca if you want to pay money to have machines do this. Full disclosure – I have done the latter.

This is of course always important no matter at what point in the game you are, but the first year of 9v9 it is particularly helpful as you’re dealing with long balls (usually from punts) and trying to make a play on the first ball, second ball, etc. Your first year at 9v9 you cannot head, so you have to make a first touch with a different playable part of the body.

There are many times where the fields are the same size, generally due to limitations. However, there are guidelines for 9v9 in which the dimensions are larger. Not much larger, at least not what many consider enough to absorb 4 additional field players, but more often than not we saw slightly larger dedicated fields for 9v9 when we played.

Players need to better with their first touch, need to be quicker at passing and more precise. Need quicker goalie and overall it starts getting physical.
It’s a tough year to transition

My daughter is a 2010 and going to 9v9 next year so looking to see what others' experience has been when you transitioned. She played in a tournament this weekend and I noticed the 2009 girls were playing on the same size fields. 9 players each side with no build out lines. Every time both goalies got the ball they booted it past mid-field. No building out of the back and connecting passes, just plain kick ball. Is that what is going to happen when my DD goes to 9v9? Does it make a difference if it's Flight 1 / Flight 2/3?
I think there is a big difference between teams/coaches that are focused on winning at this level and the ones that are focused on skills that lead to success at 11 v 11. I think finding a team or coach that stays focused on big picture is important. Also, due to small field with more bodies, we noticed many clubs stacking the defense with huge girls that could really block the field. With limited space these girls were quite effective. And agree that goalies with big legs really cause issues on these small fields.

Back