Tough road for 2022 class

Can only speak to the boys’ side. Sense from coaches was that a fair ant of players right now we’re choosing to use the extra year but that, after having some time, the coaches’ generally thought players would decide to move on in some form…

How widespread is the extra year of eligibility use? It seems to me that while there may be more use of an extra year, it is players using their 5th year. It seems like it should be exceedingly rare to use a 6th year. Anecdotally during my DD's process, there are schools with 1 or 2 less players in the 22 class, but it's not clear whether that is due to current players taking extra years, or whether it's budget/schedule related (schools terminating the 22 recruiting period so they can get on with a normal year).
This is just speculation on my part.

I would think not that many want to stick around for year 5.

Why?

They are done with college degrees.

I think most would want to move on after they graduate.

The caveat would be if you are at a college that has a legit chance to win a national championship. In that case I could see many wanting to hang around another year.

So heard the flip side of this from a college coach last night. He said some roster spots opened up from the kids who were getting very little to no minutes. Covid hit and they realized for the first time that there was life outside of soccer. Some of the girls have opted out of returning because they realized when covid shut them down how much more there was to life than hoping and praying for 5 minutes in a game here and there.

So heard the flip side of this from a college coach last night. He said some roster spots opened up from the kids who were getting very little to no minutes. Covid hit and they realized for the first time that there was life outside of soccer. Some of the girls have opted out of returning because they realized when covid shut them down how much more there was to life than hoping and praying for 5 minutes in a game here and there.
That aligns with what full90 was saying earlier. There might be some that drop out after the fall season too. The transfer portal helps players be more transient too.
We have a number of uncommitted 22's at our club that are hoping this creates some space for them. Tough sledding.

Looks like a whole lot of 2022 verbal commitments dropped on Top Drawer Soccer this week. this might be the last big 2022 push, at least for non-Ivy D1s, after the summer ID camps, with the 2023 verbals starting to pick up once we hit mid/late autumn. Not sure how the official visits will get split between 22s and 23s if the 22s didn’t get them in already.

Are we alone in this unfortunate scenario?

Daughter is a solid player, fast, athletic and durable. As the top programs wrap up their 2022 recruiting and are already working on 2023s, the prospects are dimming..

But she’s dead set on playing D1 soccer.

She has a legitimate chance to get into top notch schools around the country (including Ivy’s) but because the soccer pathway isn’t there for her, she takes them off the list…and considering low tier schools that give her a chance to play.

When I came on this forum just before Covid, it was all bullish, hopeful and positive she’d land on her feet at a great program. Now it’s a bleak reality and this father’s lament.

Daughter is a solid player, fast, athletic and durable. As the top programs wrap up their 2022 recruiting and are already working on 2023s, the prospects are dimming..

She has a legitimate chance to get into top notch schools around the country (including Ivy’s) but because the soccer pathway isn’t there for her, she takes them off the list…and considering low tier schools that give her a chance to play.

When I came on this forum just before Covid, it was all bullish, hopeful and positive she’d land on her feet at a great program. Now it’s a bleak reality and this father’s lament.
Sometimes what it takes is re-evaluating what “a great program” means and opening up to options that didn’t fit the narrow, glorified view an athlete started out with. It’s been said many times on this forum and elsewhere, but it bears repeating. Getting hung up on “division 1” is a mistake. Many D2, D3, NAIA and even some JC programs are just as good if not better than some D1’s. Forget the prestige and the names. Find a good fit, a good coach, a good environment. You could have a career ending injury tomorrow - is it still a school you want to be at? JC didn’t hurt World Cup winner Jessica McDonald’s soccer future. There are SO many “great” options out there and you get out what you put in. Best of luck to your girl.

Since she has the grades for Ivy's, would she not even consider excellent schools like those in NESCAC or the Claremont 5C's? IIRC, one of the Claremont schools was in the national semifinal in the last D3 playoffs before Covid.

Many in D1 don't see the pitch much in the first year or two anyway.

Best of luck to your kid and thank you for sharing your experience. One thing I learn from this forum and friends that have gone through the recruiting process is that it's very difficult to find a perfect match between academics/soccer/financial needs. Some compromise needs to be made.

It might be useful to sort out why she wants to play soccer in college. Is it the camaraderie? Then a club team might suffice — there are many schools with incredibly intense soccer club teams. Is it an identity thing, as in, if I’m not a soccer player who am I? Then looking at the competitive schools outside D1 might be useful. Is it post-college playing prospects? Then she will want to focus on places that play competitively regardless of academics and/or have a path to pros, including summer leagues with a local NWSL team or something.

You're definitely not alone. I had a heckuva time getting DD interested in some of the high academic DIII's even as backup options. However, even if these are just backup options, they are useful to generate interest that may provide some leverage elsewhere. Best of luck to her. Keep at it, I expect the remainder of the 22 period to stretch out for longer than normal.

Yeah fewer true freshman this year and next for sure.

There are a bunch of Redshirt Freshman, most all the international players redshirted including some juniors and seniors. Some Graduate Students with the extra COVID-19 year given, bottom line is fewer roster spots due to extra year of eligibility for competition.

With 33 on my son's college roster and only 4 true freshman it's going to be difficult to find playing time vs returners who where given more opportunities there freshman year for example.

It might be useful to sort out why she wants to play soccer in college. Is it the camaraderie? Then a club team might suffice — there are many schools with incredibly intense soccer club teams. Is it an identity thing, as in, if I’m not a soccer player who am I? Then looking at the competitive schools outside D1 might be useful. Is it post-college playing prospects? Then she will want to focus on places that play competitively regardless of academics and/or have a path to pros, including summer leagues with a local NWSL team or something.
I’ve heard parents articulate reasons for college soccer this way, but they often leave out one reason I hear from some kids who really want D1 (although you have to dig down before they articulate it this way). They are used to — indeed crave — an intense practice/training schedule with similarly intense people. They hear that D3 is less intense - it’s off more (or completely) during the Spring except for player-initiated stuff, while D1 has some practices/scrimmages, mandatory fitness/strength work etc. Parents think that allows for more balance, but to these kids that sounds less serious — more of an extracurricular activity than a way of life. It’s like 2 days/week practices rather than 4 to the kids. Sure, the players might be good in both, but they like the structure of more. They are the ones who want it every day and have to be convinced to take a day off. They are the ones who are annoyed when the kids aren’t serious at practice. They think it’s better even if they don’t get to play, because it has that year-round structure and intensity. They’ve gotten this far not caring so much about lost social opportunities (or the team is the only socializing they want anyway) and have found they do better academically when they are busy.

Of course, some kids get to college and find the academics more overwhelming, the social opportunities more tempting, or the practice grind more than can bear without the payoff in playing games and they quit, transfer (sometimes to D3), etc. Others thrive in it. It’s why you have scout team players who stay involved all four years in lots of sports. Point is that for some kids, they need an intense experience more than they need playing time or stardom.

This doesn’t automatically mean D1, but the rules and the facilities certainly enable it more easily. If you know this is your kid, the focus can be on what schools regardless of division level offer this experience and attract like-minded players. There are D3s that operate this way, but you probably have to dig deeper to find them.

Our problem is that our DS wants both the potential for a professional soccer path along with wanting top tier academics. Finding a fit seems like enough of a challenge in normal times, but now it feels very remote. It sounds like he might need to decide on priorities? We're not entirely sure how to help him navigate.

I’ve heard parents articulate reasons for college soccer this way, but they often leave out one reason I hear from some kids who really want D1 (although you have to dig down before they articulate it this way). They are used to — indeed crave — an intense practice/training schedule with similarly intense people. They hear that D3 is less intense - it’s off more (or completely) during the Spring except for player-initiated stuff, while D1 has some practices/scrimmages, mandatory fitness/strength work etc. Parents think that allows for more balance, but to these kids that sounds less serious — more of an extracurricular activity than a way of life. It’s like 2 days/week practices rather than 4 to the kids. Sure, the players might be good in both, but they like the structure of more. They are the ones who want it every day and have to be convinced to take a day off. They are the ones who are annoyed when the kids aren’t serious at practice. They think it’s better even if they don’t get to play, because it has that year-round structure and intensity. They’ve gotten this far not caring so much about lost social opportunities (or the team is the only socializing they want anyway) and have found they do better academically when they are busy.

Of course, some kids get to college and find the academics more overwhelming, the social opportunities more tempting, or the practice grind more than can bear without the payoff in playing games and they quit, transfer (sometimes to D3), etc. Others thrive in it. It’s why you have scout team players who stay involved all four years in lots of sports. Point is that for some kids, they need an intense experience more than they need playing time or stardom.

This doesn’t automatically mean D1, but the rules and the facilities certainly enable it more easily. If you know this is your kid, the focus can be on what schools regardless of division level offer this experience and attract like-minded players. There are D3s that operate this way, but you probably have to dig deeper to find them.
Nailed it @Dargle..

Our problem is that our DS wants both the potential for a professional soccer path along with wanting top tier academics. Finding a fit seems like enough of a challenge in normal times, but now it feels very remote. It sounds like he might need to decide on priorities? We're not entirely sure how to help him navigate.
Has he been told he has the potential to play professionally? This is a serious question and not meant to be disparaging in any way. Are you currently tied to an academy that is a pathway to hometown contracts?

My dd is grateful to just have the ability to play one more year of club soccer. No one could have guessed all this our kids have had to endure. 2022 is going to be the greatest year ever for the girls, MOO! Be patient you guys who have kids not verbally committed yet. Lot's of things will change from now and National Signing Day next year. @Giesbock. Injuries, transfers, de-commits and burn out happens every year. Tell your dd to keep working hard bro and have fun with the game. I swear a great school will have a need for a great kid, speed and hunger. My kid got a cool reach out from a great school ((can;t say where)) that I wouldnt ever imagine she would have interest. I think it's the way the coach reached out to her and the respect he/she had toward my player. Who wants to email 25 coaches and then beg them for a meet up and all you get is a come to our ID camp. I like the camp thing but 2022s have spent a lot of time and $$$$ the last 11 years. I knew when the right coach ((not saying this one is at all)) comes along and has nice things to say about my dd, then dd will feel wanted and explore and ask some questions. One of her old teammates just committed yesterday. Super stoked for her and is still my dd fav CM :)

Has he been told he has the potential to play professionally? This is a serious question and not meant to be disparaging in any way. Are you currently tied to an academy that is a pathway to hometown contracts?

He has been told by a professional coach that he has potential for a professional career. I understand the question completely -there was a recent very frank conversation. This coach doesn't care much for college soccer but also understands why college is important to my son. His club doesn't necessarily have a clear path to hometown contracts.

Back