Tough road for 2022 class

Kids been doing the ID clinics and getting good interst but coaches are all saying 2022 are screwed. So many 5th seniors staying over with the extra year of eligibility that only leaves very minimal roster openings. Fortunately, she has been invited to interview with a head coach, tour the campus and meet an admissions advisor at one of her top school choices. 2022 are going to struggle to get recruited and I feel bad for the kids. One thing I found out though is a lot of colleges have club teams to that travel, play in a league and represent their school. This might be a good option if you can't make the varsity team during your freshman year to keep your skills up then try a walk on try out when the rosters open up more next year. I've heard the club teams at college are pretty good competitive soccer too.

thanks for sharing. We are having tougher road due to injury, recovery, new injury then bad virus (not COVID). No ID camps, etc because just got cleared. Just have to pray it all works out how it is supposed to.

i
Kids been doing the ID clinics and getting good interst but coaches are all saying 2022 are screwed. So many 5th seniors staying over with the extra year of eligibility that only leaves very minimal roster openings. Fortunately, she has been invited to interview with a head coach, tour the campus and meet an admissions advisor at one of her top school choices. 2022 are going to struggle to get recruited and I feel bad for the kids. One thing I found out though is a lot of colleges have club teams to that travel, play in a league and represent their school. This might be a good option if you can't make the varsity team during your freshman year to keep your skills up then try a walk on try out when the rosters open up more next year. I've heard the club teams at college are pretty good competitive soccer too.
is there any type of relationship between the club program and the teams? guessing no?

Agree with OP. It hurts me to say it is becoming increasingly apparent that a smaller fraction of the 2022 class will be committed than previous (and probably future) years. It's getting late now, and the anxiety level amongst DD's teammates is rising by the day. Not only are there seniors taking that extra year of eligibility, but in many cases, scholarship budgets have been reduced too.
With regard to ID camps, it's my grim observation that this summer's camps are mostly aimed at 2023's and beyond. In alot of cases, if a 2022 hasn't been in direct contact with the coaches prior to going to one, they are unlikely to generate much interest. In a few short weeks, coaches will turn the corner to the coaching their current teams as students start reporting. I am guessing that coaches might be more likely to expand their 2023 class and start that process on time rather than drag out their 2022 classes, if not yet complete.

Feel bad for 2022’s. Even a good 2022 will find it hard to even get on the field vs. a 5th year senior. Coaches want to win so they will gone experience.

i

is there any type of relationship between the club program and the teams? guessing no?

Not sure but lady that told me had a kid that didn't make the big D1 school team and did the college club ball. Coach for the varsity team watched him play and offered him a roster spot but he turned it down because he liked the club environment better.

Agree with OP. It hurts me to say it is becoming increasingly apparent that a smaller fraction of the 2022 class will be committed than previous (and probably future) years. It's getting late now, and the anxiety level amongst DD's teammates is rising by the day. Not only are there seniors taking that extra year of eligibility, but in many cases, scholarship budgets have been reduced too.
With regard to ID camps, it's my grim observation that this summer's camps are mostly aimed at 2023's and beyond. In alot of cases, if a 2022 hasn't been in direct contact with the coaches prior to going to one, they are unlikely to generate much interest. In a few short weeks, coaches will turn the corner to the coaching their current teams as students start reporting. I am guessing that coaches might be more likely to expand their 2023 class and start that process on time rather than drag out their 2022 classes, if not yet complete.

You are correct. What's really troubling is seniors who are in post graduate masters programs still have an extra year also of eligibility.

Even if you take away the college recruiting side of things- I think the 2022s were the first group that was playing 11v11 when the "Birth Year" age split took place. Couple that with DA starting and collapsing for girls over the past few years. They've had it rough.
I agree. I can only smh at all the soccer stuff we have endured.

I suppose if a player is determined to play in college, but went unrecruited this year, they could take a gap year, work on their game, and try their luck in the 2023 class. Lots of pros and cons there.
Take classes at community college and stay on the club team if possible - especially if you have any desire to go to a CSU or UC school.

At this point for 2022 theres some hope in waiting. The college season will be over in November and that will shift the landscape with injuries/transfers/kids who thought they would use their bonus covid year and then change their mind.

Spots will open, rosters shift, etc.

It still may not work out but it is a reality that a full roster now may not be full come November/December. Stay in touch with schools. Keep working on your game and have several plans and options.

I know a few college rosters that were full and then once the spring season ended injuries/transfers/kids not coming back opened spots.

The class of 2022 has endured the most and worst of youth soccer changes and setbacks.

Are my calculations correct? UCLA will have a roster of 43 players this year? 36 existing + 7 incoming freshman?

UNC's roster is 37.

Are my calculations correct? UCLA will have a roster of 43 players this year? 36 existing + 7 incoming freshman?

UNC's roster is 37.

30 on the roster for D1 is about average so 43 seems high.

With 11 substitution possible plus one re-entry could get more players in the rotation but for the men's that doesn't seem to happen much with 3-6 subs getting on the field per Game.

UNC's roster is 37.
Are you saying you've seen a roster for the Fall 2021 season already or are you just assuming everyone is coming back who is eligible? If the latter, there might be some melt from that 36 number.

Are you saying you've seen a roster for the Fall 2021 season already or are you just assuming everyone is coming back who is eligible? If the latter, there might be some melt from that 36 number.
just got back from college id camp tour de force Summer 2021. heard several consistent things from coaches about covid and recruiting.

One, the extra year of NCAA eligibility applies to all athletes rostered in 2020, regardless of class. i.e. red shirts, freshman, sophomores, juniors, seniors and graduate students all get an extra year if they want it. had thought (lazily it turns out) that the extra year was only for seniors but having it apply to all years intuitively makes sense.

Two, coaches generally seem certain that rosters work winnow themselves down way sooner than five years from now because:

a) Pro level players will continue to leave early and the number of players going pro from college may be expanding
b) Seniors and grad students who aren't making the game day roster - either any more or at all - will figure out it's time to move out as the 2020-21 season wears on. In some cases, coaches are having conversations to assist with this process.

Three, overall level of younger players coming in is increasingly higher than older current players (eg, 2-3 years back TDS only had 5-10 oldest grad year players committing pro. this year the 40-50 of the top TDS ranked 2021s are committed to pro), pressure/incentive is to aggressively recruit, not only because the younger players are better than current players but also because going pro after high school - for the top 50 and soon top 100 players - is now real competition to college

Four, all said, the consensus is also that it does suck to be a 2021 grad, and is only a little less sucky for 2022 grads, to use a technical term...

just got back from college id camp tour de force Summer 2021. heard several consistent things from coaches about covid and recruiting.

One, the extra year of NCAA eligibility applies to all athletes rostered in 2020, regardless of class. i.e. red shirts, freshman, sophomores, juniors, seniors and graduate students all get an extra year if they want it. had thought (lazily it turns out) that the extra year was only for seniors but having it apply to all years intuitively makes sense.

Two, coaches generally seem certain that rosters work winnow themselves down way sooner than five years from now because:

a) Pro level players will continue to leave early and the number of players going pro from college may be expanding
b) Seniors and grad students who aren't making the game day roster - either any more or at all - will figure out it's time to move out as the 2020-21 season wears on. In some cases, coaches are having conversations to assist with this process.

Three, overall level of younger players coming in is increasingly higher than older current players (eg, 2-3 years back TDS only had 5-10 oldest grad year players committing pro. this year the 40-50 of the top TDS ranked 2021s are committed to pro), pressure/incentive is to aggressively recruit, not only because the younger players are better than current players but also because going pro after high school - for the top 50 and soon top 100 players - is now real competition to college

Four, all said, the consensus is also that it does suck to be a 2021 grad, and is

Four, all said, the consensus is also that it does suck to be a 2021 grad, and is only a little less sucky for 2022 grads, to use a technical term...
How do you explain the whole host of players that have been drafted but are choosing to play out that extra year of eligibility? It's not a disagreement with what you're saying, just wondering why this is happening if the actual movement to go pro is increasing? The pro path will eventually rival the college path, but I don't think we're quite there yet.

How widespread is the extra year of eligibility use? It seems to me that while there may be more use of an extra year, it is players using their 5th year. It seems like it should be exceedingly rare to use a 6th year. Anecdotally during my DD's process, there are schools with 1 or 2 less players in the 22 class, but it's not clear whether that is due to current players taking extra years, or whether it's budget/schedule related (schools terminating the 22 recruiting period so they can get on with a normal year).

Back