Today in Fascism

Isn't the fact that he calls himself "Beto" to appeal to Latinos in TX a very good starting point?

As I said before, thank god TX isn't full of Scandinavians. Otherwise we would have to deal with him calling himself Sven or Ragnar.
Or if he were a Frenchman he shall be called Jean. I like Clyde for many reasons. Where would Clyde come from Hound?

Is that like the way the Cuban-Canadian Rafael Cruz calls himself "Ted" to appeal to the whites in Texas?
I like that come back. Ted Cruz does not sound right now that I think about that. Beto Cruz sounds better to me. Ralph Cruz? Rafael Cruz has a great ring to it. Ralphie Cruz?

I am neither a Democrat nor a Texan, so Beto is just an occasional news item to me.

I like the way he showed up Ted Cruz recently. How about you?

Your comment "made a failed attempt to be a publicly elected official" made me look up his biography -- El Paso City Council 8 years, 6 years in Congress.
Fair enough - just a failed Senate run.

It's my opinion that Robert Francis sole intent was political thus not impressed. Teddy was dumb for leaving, amateur (slightly human) play on his part. Not like Teddy was going to restore power. But I get it, bad optics. Good on Robert Francis for taking advantage of the situation.

Fair enough - just a failed Senate run.

It's my opinion that Robert Francis sole intent was political thus not impressed. Teddy was dumb for leaving, amateur (slightly human) play on his part. Not like Teddy was going to restore power. But I get it, bad optics. Good on Robert Francis for taking advantage of the situation.

I can understand why Republicans in Texas are so afraid of Beto - he almost beat Ted on his first try in deep-red Texas. While Beto was actually doing things to help Texans in need (isn't that what we want our politicians to do?), Ted's handlers staged a photo-op in an empty parking lot.

Ted's actions didn't surprise me at all. He has always seemed to me like a selfish asshole. His "let me help" photos were just icing on the cake.

You seem to be showing signs of that as well as being disingenuous.
In his infancy, his family gave him the nickname "Beto", a common Spanish-Portuguese nickname for first names ending in "-berto", initially to distinguish him from his namesake grandfather.
Sure, it's about me :rolleyes: .

Anyone can wiki the origins of "Beto" - nice work. It's a free country. I'm not a Francis fan. I don't take him at his word - he should have championed the "Beto" name while he was in a fancy prep school or while at Columbia. He didn't. Only when he returned to El Paso did he decide to fully transform into "Beto". Tells me enough and doesn't surprise me one bit. You may dig identity politics, doesn't do anything for me, and I am squarely in one of those demographics. I don't need 23 & Me to tell me who I am.

Anyone can wiki the origins of "Beto" - nice work. It's a free country. I'm not a Francis fan. I don't take him at his word - he should have championed the "Beto" name while he was in a fancy prep school or while at Columbia. He didn't. Only when he returned to El Paso did he decide to fully transform into "Beto". Tells me enough and doesn't surprise me one bit. You may dig identity politics, doesn't do anything for me, and I am squarely in one of those demographics. I don't need 23 & Me to tell me who I am.

"He should have..."?

So you cling to him being referred to by his proper name at school as a reason to not trust him?

So you cling to him being referred to by his proper name at school as a reason to not trust him?
Just wondering if he plays futbol. Beyond that, not emotionally invested at all. Or Teddy for that matter. I won't think anything less of you if you are a fan.

Just wondering if he plays futbol. Beyond that, not emotionally invested at all. Or Teddy for that matter. I won't think anything less of you if you are a fan.
No real interest beyond Beto doing the right thing and Cruz not. Then of course is your unusual fixation about Beto and what people call him. No one calls me by my legal name either.

Not sure if this belongs in the “today in fascism” thread or we should create a “today in racism” thread.

I’ll post it here since it’s our fascist Governor that seems to captaining this ship.

No real interest beyond Beto doing the right thing and Cruz not. Then of course is your unusual fixation about Beto and what people call him. No one calls me by my legal name either.

For a time in high school, I was known as Tailgunner. It wasn't my choice, but among our small group of friends, it stuck. Thankfully none of them went to the same college I did.

Not sure if this belongs in the “today in fascism” thread or we should create a “today in racism” thread.

I’ll post it here since it’s our fascist Governor that seems to captaining this ship.

The stats have exposed shocking favoritism to the "other and unknown" group.

Or instead of worrying about "equity", the state could just start vaccinating people. At some point most people who need it will get it.

Florida has delivered more full vaccines (6,896 per 100,000) than have perennial blue states like New York (6,004 per 100,000), New Jersey (5,746 per 100,000), Massachusetts (5,335 per 100,000), Illinois (4,422 per 100,000), Michigan (6,485 per 100,000), Minnesota (6,105 per 100,000), Washington (5,402 per 100,000), Oregon (6,302 per 100,000), and of course California (4,997 per 100,000).

For a time in high school, I was known as Tailgunner. It wasn't my choice, but among our small group of friends, it stuck. Thankfully none of them went to the same college I did.
great comparison, exactly the same. What was your preferred calibre?

I had to pause because I thought the name of this thread was Today in Fauciism. Then I realized they're synonymous. Hence the author of the thread.

Back