Time Warp - Back to the 80's - I Like it (uh huh uh huh)

Out walking the dog today in the neighborhood and I was totally brought back to my childhood. Things I haven't seen in my SoCal community except on holidays like 4th of July...kids riding bikes in groups on the street, couples on walks, older folks reading on the front porch, more kids playing in the front yard, people working in their garage. Felt like I was in a scene from Stranger Things. Life has slowed down. Youth sports craze on pause. Put a smile on my face...until I had to pick up poop.

My dad worked. Mom was mostly stay-at-home. Shes work part time during school hours.
But we still took our bikes or skateboards everywhere.

late 60s, early 70s. we would take off on our bikes and come home when it got dark. and no one batted an eye.
You left out a key piece of information...we didn't wear helmets, either.

Mid 70's for me, we also built ramps to jump off out of old pieces of plywood and rocks or random pieces of brick. We also had BB gun fights and orchard wars. Getting hit by an unripe avocado hurt like hell. Ice plant sledding was another fun one.

The funny part is our parents didn't really tell us not to do those things, but had no sympathy for us when we got hurt. Basically, they would just say "Well what the hell did you think was going to happen?"

Were fortunate that we live in an old school neighborhood and the pack of kids just roam around and usually make it home before dark. The main difference between old school then and now is that I can track my kids on Life360.

So with all the fun that kids are having and no pressure for club anything? Do we think that club soccer is going to take a big hit or will more kids want to play? I think that if this last for more than 2 months, disposable incomes will shrink and it will have a significant impact to club soccer in Socal. Thoughts?

So with all the fun that kids are having and no pressure for club anything? Do we think that club soccer is going to take a big hit or will more kids want to play? I think that if this last for more than 2 months, disposable incomes will shrink and it will have a significant impact to club soccer in Socal. Thoughts?

I think when this is over soccer will come back stronger than ever. With my dd playing college soccer and my two other kids in college and no longer playing, I miss club soccer. Give it a few months and you will agree.

How will we know when this is “over”?
Will it be when there’s a cure? A vaccine? The spreading stops due to social distancing?
It’s not like a war where someone says “we quit. You win”.

Will it be when there’s a cure? A vaccine? The spreading stops due to social distancing?
We will know when the restaurants and bars are open again. ;)

When the daily growth in the number of new cases starts to decline.

Back