Thoughts on split team practices

I've seen those proposals as well (SD County), because 12 is a lot safer than 15, WTF. I suspect that cutoff will be ignored or worked around after a couple practices, as well it should. File this one under better to ask for forgiveness than permission.

12-player limit sounds like it was crafted by Little League coaches.

This number is going higher. A week ago it was 10.
I found the source and it is 12 because this is the number permitted by San Diego for daycare. See exert below:

"The plan emphasizes “Stable Sports Groups.” Stable Sports Groups are up twelve participants, not including coaches. These twelve players must remain the same. Players can not be in one group for one practice then a different group of twelve at another practice session.

Why twelve? The Health Officers of San Diego County have already allowed daycare providers to have up to twelve children in daycare facilities. Adhering to numbers that have already been allowed and proven safe is the best hope for getting the San Diego Health Officer’s seal of approval."

Hello All
I had a question and needed some thoughts and opinions.
My Child got offered a spot to join a newly formed ECNL team for 20/21 The team will consist of players from a combination of 3 teams. A DA team, an ECNL team and an ECRL team.
The practices will be split with 1/2 of the players practicing with the Head Coach in the Pasadena area and the other half with an assistant coach in Irvine. Eventually the two teams will come together on the weekends to form a full team for league, tournaments, and scrimmages.
Before I fully commit I want to hear from others. Do you foresee this working out? Pros and Cons? Has anybody’s child ever played on a team with split practices, if so how did it work out?

it doesn’t work. As much as they tell your getting 2 great coaches for the price of 1 it’s BS. Ask em how often the Pasadena coach is gonna attend the Irvine practices and vise versa ? The answer is zero. It’ll be two separate programs (literally) on their own islands. No continuity between the coaches. Your kid would basically be signing up for being on 2 Half Teams, while paying the price of 2 full teams. The clubs already dragged you guys all the way down to great park and now wants you to go to Pasadena. It sounds like strikers isn’t taking your time, money and efforts into consideration with any of their decisions.

I found the source and it is 12 because this is the number permitted by San Diego for daycare. See exert below:

"The plan emphasizes “Stable Sports Groups.” Stable Sports Groups are up twelve participants, not including coaches. These twelve players must remain the same. Players can not be in one group for one practice then a different group of twelve at another practice session.

Why twelve? The Health Officers of San Diego County have already allowed daycare providers to have up to twelve children in daycare facilities. Adhering to numbers that have already been allowed and proven safe is the best hope for getting the San Diego Health Officer’s seal of approval."

State opening for those sports activities is phase 3. We are still in the middle or start of phase 2.

If the SD supervisors agree to trying to request a move of youth sports gatherings to phase 2 they can try but the governor has to approve that as well or modify the current orders. Until all those things happen it's where things are now. It's good to hope things will change rapidly and give a call for action, let's see what goes down today and the next couple of weeks.

Oh and I’m willing to bet that at some point along the way they say “sorry, we need to combine practices”. Everyone is going to to Pasadena or Irvine.

Strikers has done this a couple of times, starting the u13 ECNL near the core group of players further north, then moving the practices to Irvine once you have them locked in (in order to be closer to recruits with better portfolios, I assume).

This reeks of Esteban Chavez. Do not trust him. He says whatever it takes to get you to sign then does whatever benefits him. Check his history. Same pattern. End game here is Pasadena for all players.

Given the long commutes to practice, I am surprised more clubs dont try to do multiple practice locations.

If your only concern is winning at soccer, then go ahead and insist the whole team be together every time.

If you want to do well on the history final, then one or two days of local practice sounds great.

Given the long commutes to practice, I am surprised more clubs dont try to do multiple practice locations.

If your only concern is winning at soccer, then go ahead and insist the whole team be together every time.

If you want to do well on the history final, then one or two days of local practice sounds great.
Dad, why on God's green earth would I let my dd risk her life with Corona and not be all about winning? That is the stupidest quote ever on this forum. It's all about winning and winning the right way Dr Dad4.....lol!!! You seem like a nice dad but winning is everything brother!!!!

Dad, why on God's green earth would I let my dd risk her life with Corona and not be all about winning? That is the stupidest quote ever on this forum. It's all about winning and winning the right way Dr Dad4.....lol!!! You seem like a nice dad but winning is everything brother!!!!
I’m with Dad on this one! Why on gods green earth the obsession with winning in youth athletics?
I met a guy who bragged about a ridiculous 20-0 record at AYSO U-8 or something. He’d teach his entire team to crash the little part time goal keeper whenever a goal kick. They scoop up the miffed kick and score. Ruthless. And he was proud of that bs. Knew nothing about the game other than win baby! Completely nuts. AYSO booted him.

Granted, not fair to directly compare a U-8 AYSO Team to the Strikers ECNL squad, but the win at all cost approach is just taking it too far.
Remember when Sweden’s women beat the US and everyone was up in arms about their lousy play but bunker mentality defense? I think it might have been the great Hope Solo complaining the loudest.

anyway, kids, teens, youth players of all level are still on a learning curve and will benefit more from sound coaching than a win at all cost.

I’m with Dad on this.

Isn't EC from SoCalAcademy/LA Surf now the 06 coach at Strikers? Is this their attempt to merge the best LA Surf players with the existing Strikers infrastructure?

This number is going higher. A week ago it was 10.
We have been told supervisors will be tasked with going out to the fields daily to assess training set ups and count groups. If you don't adhere to the numbers they give, you lose your permits. As hard as fields are to get, that is a big risk. The number may grow in time but I bet at the start people will adhere to it out of fear or retribution. No coach wants to be the one that lost his clubs' fields.

I’m with Dad on this one! Why on gods green earth the obsession with winning in youth athletics?
I met a guy who bragged about a ridiculous 20-0 record at AYSO U-8 or something. He’d teach his entire team to crash the little part time goal keeper whenever a goal kick. They scoop up the miffed kick and score. Ruthless. And he was proud of that bs. Knew nothing about the game other than win baby! Completely nuts. AYSO booted him.

Granted, not fair to directly compare a U-8 AYSO Team to the Strikers ECNL squad, but the win at all cost approach is just taking it too far.
Remember when Sweden’s women beat the US and everyone was up in arms about their lousy play but bunker mentality defense? I think it might have been the great Hope Solo complaining the loudest.

anyway, kids, teens, youth players of all level are still on a learning curve and will benefit more from sound coaching than a win at all cost.

I’m with Dad on this.
Ya, i figured my kid and I are not like most. Always play to win. I never said win at all cost bro. That's what cheaters do. I said why play soccer and risk the Corona just to develop. We play to win bro!!! Go with Dad on that all day. I know many dads like the both of you. To each his own. Strikers are looking to pull off a miracle and win it all!!! How about you?

Ya, i figured my kid and I are not like most. Always play to win. I never said win at all cost bro. That's what cheaters do. I said why play soccer and risk the Corona just to develop. We play to win bro!!! Go with Dad on that all day. I know many dads like the both of you. To each his own. Strikers are looking to pull off a miracle and win it all!!! How about you?
“The both of you” smacks of categorizing people. Doesn’t sit well with me Ellejustus.

You’re right...I took it down the win at all cost road unfairly. Willing to take that back.

if you think my kid ever steps out not wanting to win, surprise coming.

Her team not invited to the now glorious ECNL so regrettably, no head to head play. But that’s ok. Kid is out there right now working to make sure she’s ready to git up and go!

Like you and probably everyone here, let’s get it on!
Good luck.

“The both of you” smacks of categorizing people. Doesn’t sit well with me Ellejustus.

You’re right...I took it down the win at all cost road unfairly. Willing to take that back.

if you think my kid ever steps out not wanting to win, surprise coming.

Her team not invited to the now glorious ECNL so regrettably, no head to head play. But that’s ok. Kid is out there right now working to make sure she’s ready to git up and go!

Like you and probably everyone here, let’s get it on!
Good luck.
I hate reading into text or comments on the forum. Sorry about that. My dd is always trying to win :) Not saying her Strikers team will win it all but they will give it their all. I'm hearing a lot of rumors about some teams getting really really good. The rich get richer...lol!!! I wish your dd team could join the party. Which one is it bro? I'm still trying to get Beach & Legends in but........if they do join this year, it could hurt my dd team chances to win it all in 2021.However, in the spirit of pure competition I would persoanlly rather lose and not make the playoffs with Beach & Legends then make the playoffs without those two teams. That is pure bro and how real sports are played brah....:)

Splitting the team can be a good idea depending on the alternative.

If the splited teams play good soccer vs the alternative that plays random kick ball, then go with the split team. Also see which Coach is better.

If all else are equal then of course having the team together is the best but at higher levels of play, this can be difficult as it is difficult to find high level talents concentrated in a small geographic area.

Splitting teams could work but how do you stop the “us vs them” mentality that parents and players will have once they combine teams.
Also, I keep hearing that the best talent is in Irvine (south oc). Is it really the best talent or the fact that this is where the deep pockets live and parents willing to be in ECNL/ECRL at all cost. Club coaches screaming : “Show me the money!”

There’s a lot of talent between Pasadena and Irvine. Oh wait, parents from mid/lower incomes are not willing to pay $4k a year.

Splitting teams could work but how do you stop the “us vs them” mentality that parents and players will have once they combine teams.
Also, I keep hearing that the best talent is in Irvine (south oc). Is it really the best talent or the fact that this is where the deep pockets live and parents willing to be in ECNL/ECRL at all cost. Club coaches screaming : “Show me the money!”

There’s a lot of talent between Pasadena and Irvine. Oh wait, parents from mid/lower incomes are not willing to pay $4k a year.

There is nothing wrong with selling a premier training service, VIP entrance, front-of-the-line passes, or whatever. It would be wrong, however, for national sports bodies (like USSF, for example) to restrict or prefer their programs to those services.

Back