Those looking to move clubs but playing spring season, logistically when would you do it?

Don't want to debate about the merits of moving clubs as I'm sure the situation is unique to each player/family.

Just curious on logistics of moving within SoCal League if your team is also playing spring. We are new to SoCal League and it seems spring season will run March to May(?)...

So if one is moving clubs when spring season is also played, when would you do that?

In Feb/March when state cups are done and before spring season?
In May/June when spring season is done?
Any time in the summer before fall season?

The So Cal transfer rules are draconian and designed to protect clubs - not players.

1. The DOC of the transfer-out club must approve the transfer.

2. He is supposed to allow the transfer if the player is "fully paid." However, he has the option to retroactively amend the player's contract. For example, if any scholarship or discount was given to the family, then the DOC has the right to retroactively jack-up the player fee if a player requests a transfer. Or, he can just tell the player's family to eff off, regardless of payment status. The So Cal league has no protest mechanism for the family. If the DOC refuses to allow the transfer for any reason, even pure vindictiveness, then he can block that player from playing for any other So Cal team.

3. The way the So Cal rules are written, the DOC's right to block a transfer is permanent; he can disallow transfers for the life of the player.

4. Finally, the right to block does not extend just to the So Cal league. The way the rule is written, the ban applies to transfers to ECNL, NPL, and even Academy teams if those clubs also have an affiliate in the So Cal league.

will SoCal have a spring season? If no, they should allow the player to move by February. If a player received a scholarship, yes they should be held accountable until the season is over.

will SoCal have a spring season? If no, they should allow the player to move by February. If a player received a scholarship, yes they should be held accountable until the season is over.
Unless the Doc is a liar and its not a safe place to be. Besides that, you should finish what you started, especially if you're on a Ride :)

Last edited:
If a player received a scholarship, yes they should be held accountable until the season is over.
A player should be accountable if the Club, but only if the Club lives up to its obligations. We all know that this is often not the case. When a Club fails a player, then the Club should also be held accountable. The So Cal rules provide no accountability to the Club.

A club can punish any player without having to follow any rules. Players have no recourse. A club can change its coaches whenever it wants. Change practice fields whenever it wants. Change playing fields whenever it wants. Sit, play or position your child however it wants. Move the player to a different team if it wants. Amp up the roster to 22 players if it wants so original players' minutes will be eliminated. Make promises and break them whenever it wants.

Where is Curt Flood when we need him?

Last edited:
A player should be accountable if the Club lives up to its obligations. We all know that this is often not the case. When a Club fails a player, then the Club should also be held accountable. But the rules provide no accountability to the Club.

A club can punish any player without having to follow any rules. Players have no recourse. A club can change its coaches whenever it wants. Change practice fields whenever it wants. Change playing fields whenever it wants. Sit, play or position your child however it wants. Move the player to a different team if it wants. Amp up the roster to 22 players if it wants so original players' minutes will be eliminated. Make promises and break them whenever it wants.

Where is Curt Flood when we need him.
I said this three years, "Parents need a voice at the table and a vote to make this better for the next generation of players." We don't need anymore dads buying clubs and getting on boards all for the wrong reasons.

I said this three years, "Parents need a voice at the table and a vote to make this better for the next generation of players." We don't need anymore dads buying clubs and getting on boards all for the wrong reasons.
I know of a San Diego club that doesnt have a single parent of a player on the board of directors. Be careful for what you wish for reguarding not including overly involved parents.

Personally I think all clubs need a couple of overly involved parents keeping leadership honest.

I know of a San Diego club that doesnt have a single parent of a player on the board of directors. Be careful for what you wish for reguarding not including overly involved parents.

Personally I think all clubs need a couple of overly involved parents keeping leadership honest.
Not at the club level bro. Too late for that. Need big time parents helping with all the leagues with Premier and Elite and in between. We need a standard and a clear way of entry. Too much confusion in the market place. Spain does it the best.

How does Spain do it?
Well, this is what crush know so far from the little research I did. If a dad or coach wanted to get into real Academy soccer and the Pros, they have to prove themselves first and not with a check or cash. I think they have four levels. EVERYONE starts at level 4 or the bottom. You then work hard AT SOCCER and see if your academy can move up. You win, you can be Premier. I dont know how to get to level 4 but you can;t get to level 1 without winning on the field and not behind closed deals where the real deals are made. Plus around 14 or 15 in Spain, they tell the kid and their parents the truth. Either you got it or you dont. You can;t pay someone to develop you to be world class. Were doing it all wrong. You have to pay and kiss so much ass in the states it's a true mess.

Unless the Doc is a liar and its not a safe place to be. Besides that, you should finish what you started, especially if you're on a Ride :)

Wait but DOCs all tell the truth at all times and looks after the individual development of each and every player. /s

Besides that, you should finish what you started, especially if you're on a Ride :)

Not on a ride. So when do you finish what you started? End of state cup?

Wait but DOCs all tell the truth at all times and looks after the individual development of each and every player. /s

No no no no, not all Docs. So far, I can say two for sure were the most honest, even when it hurt. Sugar coated gum ball Docs is for the birds. Look man, you need to pay extra to be Elite, that's how it works. Extra Extra read all about it!!!

We always finished State Cup with the team we started with and always in it to win it. She wanted to win it with all her teams, no matter how many teams she hooped around with. One year she told the coach the truth because the coach cornered her at practice because the coach heard a rumor we were bailing to greener pasture so she told her boss the Doc. The Doc got with my kid and warned her not to leave and it was very hard on my kid emotionally trying to leave one top club to another. These clubs dont like losing customers, especially one's that bring goals and a winning attitude. After that fiasco, we decided to wait until after State Cup but it got even worse bro, if you can imagine that.

Last edited:
The So Cal transfer rules are draconian and designed to protect clubs - not players.

1. The DOC of the transfer-out club must approve the transfer.

2. He is supposed to allow the transfer if the player is "fully paid." However, he has the option to retroactively amend the player's contract. For example, if any scholarship or discount was given to the family, then the DOC has the right to retroactively jack-up the player fee if a player requests a transfer. Or, he can just tell the player's family to eff off, regardless of payment status. The So Cal league has no protest mechanism for the family. If the DOC refuses to allow the transfer for any reason, even pure vindictiveness, then he can block that player from playing for any other So Cal team.

3. The way the So Cal rules are written, the DOC's right to block a transfer is permanent; he can disallow transfers for the life of the player.

4. Finally, the right to block does not extend just to the So Cal league. The way the rule is written, the ban applies to transfers to ECNL, NPL, and even Academy teams if those clubs also have an affiliate in the So Cal league.

oh man, this sounds terrible

how did it get worse?
Oh man, it was so horrible bro. BTW, welcome to the fabulous socal soccer forum. I see your a new member and have questions like so many do. Luis had questions and I helped him out as well. Crush is here to help my fellow parent any time. Basically, I pissed off a Doc that cheated and lied all the time and had questionable behavioral issues with the moms and the coaches and held all the power and control of my dd future in his hands. I went to the high command and was told to STFU or you will be blacklisted. I laughed at first but now I dont laugh anymore.

Back