This should be implemented across the board - Field setup

One of the things I hate is the whole canopy and bench setup. Figuring out who volunteers to carry them, hope parents get there early to put it up, etc, etc.

This whole thing should be changed so that the home club sets up two canopies and two benches at the home field for the day. I saw this at Slammers' home in orange this weekend. It should be implemented across the board for CSL and SCDSL (and whatever you guys have in San Diego).

One of the things I hate is the whole canopy and bench setup. Figuring out who volunteers to carry them, hope parents get there early to put it up, etc, etc.

This whole thing should be changed so that the home club sets up two canopies and two benches at the home field for the day. I saw this at Slammers' home in orange this weekend. It should be implemented across the board for CSL and SCDSL (and whatever you guys have in San Diego).
So who pays for the extra canopy and does your team really want to sit under the banner of the Club you’re playing against?

Most managers keep the benches and canopy. Up to the manager, if they don’t want the responsibility, to get others to volunteer. If you have a bunch of parents who don’t want to help then you collect more Money in fees. Some clubs mandate/require certain canopies and benches - they want to market even when they are away. This isn’t a big deal or even an inconvenience unless you really don’t like to be bothered or parent who Doesn’t get kids to games on time consistently or miss games.

Also you haven’t taken in to account fields where you might be the only game. I’m often at fields where the home team hasn’t even played at the field before or field is locked up until 15 minutes before we are suppose to start. You would then be responsible for carrying two canopies and two benches with you. Not a logical arrangement

Also you haven’t taken in to account fields where you might be the only game. I’m often at fields where the home team hasn’t even played at the field before or field is locked up until 15 minutes before we are suppose to start. You would then be responsible for carrying two canopies and two benches with you. Not a logical arrangement

Keeping the bench and canopy is a hassle. Also, not everyone can fit the canopy in their car.

And yes, as everything, there are exceptions, e.g. games at Corona, games at some random field (not the main "home"), etc. But, as a general solution it works. Clubs make a one time purchase of, say, 6 to 8 canopies and 6 to 8 benches (added to club fees among the 15 to 20 teams or some special one - time collect) First home team(s) in the morning sets up, last home team(s) of the day tears down. Done. Everyone is happy.

The exceptions can be solved on a case by case basis. Maybe clubs have extra canopies the team managers can borrow for the day/weekend or something.

Anyway, this model works nicely for ECNL.

The home team pays. It works out even for each club. I guess if you have that big of a problem sitting under someone else’s canopy you could just go sit in the sun.
Not all clubs provide canopies for their teams. It’s often the team (aka Parents) who fund the EZ Ups. You think it’s hard coordinating an EZ up for a team try paying for and coordinating 2 EZ ups for each field, set up, break down, storage, etc. per Club.

I don’t need to sit in the sun, I bring the EZ up!

Of all the things I have to deal with at soccer during the week and ending the week on the game field - canopy/bench at bottom of list. Keeping Teens healthy enough to play, finding replacements and dealing with club politics tend to be at top of the list. I carry the canopy, bench, extra chair, game backpack, ball bag and sometimes corner flags by myself in small car. I do it because I trust myself more than anyone. Bench - Check. Shade - Check. Cards - Check. Game Sheets - Check. Money- Check. Balls - Check. Excuses - None. Let’s Play.

Big Clubs are not going to sit under another teams logo. Sounds stupid but they won’t. I’m all about cheap EZ Ups - even when I get shit from the clubs I’ve been at about them. I tell them you pay for it, I’ll use it. Usually shuts them up. most Clubs also don’t have storage for all the canopies and managers/teams still going to be forced to lug them around. Admins not going to drive to fields to drop off and pick up the gear

Not all clubs provide canopies for their teams. It’s often the team (aka Parents) who fund the EZ Ups. You think it’s hard coordinating an EZ up for a team try paying for and coordinating 2 EZ ups for each field, set up, break down, storage, etc. per Club.

I don’t need to sit in the sun, I bring the EZ up!
Nail Hammered

I remember a few clubs ago and we had to share EZ up "volunteer" duties and take goal post down and lock them up if we played last game of the day. Of course I was the one to complain. All I said was, "how come the club coaches and Docs don't set all this stuff up?" One dad told me to stop complaining and just help out. I told him to pound sound......lol :) :) :) and "I have a bad back too sir." First off, it sucks, especially after your team loses and you have to strip that sucker down and try to avoid getting your fingers pitched and then haul it to your car. That could be a long haul depending on where the game is. Bad on the back too for old guys like me. I also told the dad I pay $2500, plus all the other fees that come with club soccer. It seems like all we do as parents is "Volunteer" for tournament help, snack stand help, parking control help, sell golf balls, go to city hall to root for soccer city and so on. Free labor is what I call it. I did all the volunteering when I coached AYSO and so did all the other parents on the team. We chalked up the fields, set up goal posts and so on and no one complained. I enjoyed it. All paying club customers should have fields ready just like DA and ECNL. Nice fields and all decked out too. I show up 5 minutes before tip off and watch game and then go home. We parents have a life too and with some of these Docs making over $200,000+ a year they can at least provide free EZ Up service for all games :)

EZ ups are a pain in the ass to drag around. A nice branded one will run $600+.
I’d love it if all of the big venues would provide them for both teams.
The only one that I think provides them is Galloway Downs.
Any field that charges for parkjng should include EZ-ups and benches.

Should the coaches drive all the vans on out of state trips? How about the laundry, feeding the team and booking the flights. Sorry, but this all sounds like whining.
Call it what you like. I know some rich dads who had the money to pay teens to handle all their "volunteering" duties.

Some DA , other leagues, and select tournament provide or recommend the home team provides canopies at least. Benches also but with some clubs home team parents are the ones schlepping those are around and the water, ice for both teams. At least is just for home games so with a rotation just once a season per family.

Back