Things going down at Cal....

so because it was 12 years ago and nothing happened means it has nothing to do with abuse? GTFOH! My bad about saying you said he didn't do nothing wrong. my point is there is a pattern and should be followed up on. To say it's not, is minimizing everything these kids say. Only time will tell if this is true or not.

You’re pretty soft if you think quitting out of frustration and then walking it back constitutes player abuse. Actually, that’s about as soft as it gets.

I did not minimize or dispute the factual statements they made. I do dispute the article’s hyperbole that their alleged facts constitutes physical and emotional abuse. Again, this is the problem with hit pieces like this. As you and others are showing, the soft and weak-minded can’t tell the difference between fact and opinion, and the youth soccer community has a high percentage of both.

And for those of you who think McGuire should be fired for failing to go far in the tournament, how do you feel about USD’s coach, for example? She can’t make the tournament at all or even do well in a conference that isn’t nearly as strong as the Pac-12. What is the standard for firing women’s soccer coaches?

You’re pretty soft if you think quitting out of frustration and then walking it back constitutes player abuse. Actually, that’s about as soft as it gets.

I did not minimize or dispute the factual statements they made. I do dispute the article’s hyperbole that their alleged facts constitutes physical and emotional abuse. Again, this is the problem with hit pieces like this. As you and others are showing, the soft and weak-minded can’t tell the difference between fact and opinion, and the youth soccer community has a high percentage of both.

And for those of you who think McGuire should be fired for failing to go far in the tournament, how do you feel about USD’s coach, for example? She can’t make the tournament at all or even do well in a conference that isn’t nearly as strong as the Pac-12. What is the standard for firing women’s soccer coaches?

You're comparing USD to Cal? this is her third year at USD and everyone knows that it takes at least 3 years to build a program. Compared to what she inherited, it's apples to oranges. To be honest, I'd imagine if she doesn't win in the next 1-2 years then yes, she'll probably not get rehired. Also, Cal is a Pac-12 school. Best public school in the USA...you're telling me that kids want to got to OSU or any school besides UCLA and Stanford over Cal? You're crazy to think that. Hey I'm not saying he should be fired so quit putting words in my mouth. I posted this because it's newsworthy subject.

I never said he should be canned because he can't get out of the first round of the NCAA tourney. I never said he should be canned period! All is said was the facts will eventually come to light. Sorry if all of us don't have the rock solid mental toughness that you and I suppose your offspring have.

Potentially fatal consequences? You are nuts. There is not a single fact that supports that. There’s not a single fact that supports any of the conclusions you reached about the hazing incident. You don’t like that he included the freshman with the community service requirement, but you also have no idea why he did - or even whether he did or the AD.
Tied to a chair while someone else sprays alcohol in your mouth?

Yes, things like that have caused deaths from alcohol poisoning. Usually at fraternities.

And anyone in a position of authority in a college should be aware of it.

Tied to a chair while someone else sprays alcohol in your mouth?

Yes, things like that have caused deaths from alcohol poisoning. Usually at fraternities.

And anyone in a position of authority in a college should be aware of it.

Neil had nothing to do with it. Nothing. And there is no evidence it was a systemic issue or even foreseeable. Maybe you disagree with the punishment, but you can’t claim that it shows McGuire is “abusive”. Like I said, “hit piece”.

You're comparing USD to Cal? this is her third year at USD and everyone knows that it takes at least 3 years to build a program. Compared to what she inherited, it's apples to oranges. To be honest, I'd imagine if she doesn't win in the next 1-2 years then yes, she'll probably not get rehired. Also, Cal is a Pac-12 school. Best public school in the USA...you're telling me that kids want to got to OSU or any school besides UCLA and Stanford over Cal? You're crazy to think that. Hey I'm not saying he should be fired so quit putting words in my mouth. I posted this because it's newsworthy subject.

I never said he should be canned because he can't get out of the first round of the NCAA tourney. I never said he should be canned period! All is said was the facts will eventually come to light. Sorry if all of us don't have the rock solid mental toughness that you and I suppose your offspring have.

UCLA is the best public school in the US. Regardless, Cal is not the ideal destination for many kids. The expectation that the coach should be fired if the program doesn’t do better than its ever done is silly. It was no good before McGuire got there, and now they make the tournament almost every year. And they graduate, although that doesn’t seem particularly important to you.

The problem with your assertion that it will “eventually come to light” is that it probably won’t, just as it never did with Cromwell. You will never hear the context of the hazing event. You’ll never know how many players refute the allegations. You will never know whether Sekany’s interpretation of raingate is accurate or if she’s a lazy hypochondriac with a terrible attitude and who was bitter that she would never play again once a better goalie arrived. All you will hear are allegations that, so far, are very thin and by few people and don’t even remotely rise to the level of abuse, coupled with hyperbole. The school isn’t going to discuss individual students, it shouldn’t, and it probably can’t. So what you’ll get is one sided hyperbole, conspiracy theories and rampant speculation, all at the expense of other people’s livelihoods. That’s the petty game you youth soccer whackadoos play.

UCLA is the best public school in the US. Regardless, Cal is not the ideal destination for many kids. The expectation that the coach should be fired if the program doesn’t do better than its ever done is silly. It was no good before McGuire got there, and now they make the tournament almost every year. And they graduate, although that doesn’t seem particularly important to you.

The problem with your assertion that it will “eventually come to light” is that it probably won’t, just as it never did with Cromwell. You will never hear the context of the hazing event. You’ll never know how many players refute the allegations. You will never know whether Sekany’s interpretation of raingate is accurate or if she’s a lazy hypochondriac with a terrible attitude and who was bitter that she would never play again once a better goalie arrived. All you will hear are allegations that, so far, are very thin and by few people and don’t even remotely rise to the level of abuse, coupled with hyperbole. The school isn’t going to discuss individual students, it shouldn’t, and it probably can’t. So what you’ll get is one sided hyperbole, conspiracy theories and rampant speculation, all at the expense of other people’s livelihoods. That’s the petty game you youth soccer whackadoos play.
Look at you growing up and all....you made it 3 whole posts without calling someone who has an opposing view a degrading name and bringing in conspiracy theories. You’re really growing, I’m almost prowled of you.

Neil had nothing to do with it. Nothing. And there is no evidence it was a systemic issue or even foreseeable. Maybe you disagree with the punishment, but you can’t claim that it shows McGuire is “abusive”. Like I said, “hit piece”.
He had an alcohol based hazing incident on his team, and failed to deal with it even remotely appropriately.

In fact, it looks like he tried to punish the person who blew the whistle.

That puts him in the Houston/Dorrance bucket for me.

Look at you growing up and all....you made it 3 whole posts without calling someone who has an opposing view a degrading name and bringing in conspiracy theories. You’re really growing, I’m almost prowled of you.

That’s what happens when someone doesn’t try to bring their bigotry into a soccer forum. Sometimes
an idiot needs to be told they’re an idiot, but @HoopsCoach hasn’t reached that level, at least not yet.

I really wanted to view this post to get more information about these accusations regarding Coach Mcguire. I am often frustrated by coming to these boards and viewing shouting matches between overzealous soccer parents (mostly dads that are waaayyy to vested in their DDs soccer life). The biases are obvious and I could probably pinpoint your daughter's college program or verbal committed program. Once again, we go down this unproductive rabbit hole...sigh...

I really wanted to view this post to get more information about these accusations regarding Coach Mcguire. I am often frustrated by coming to these boards and viewing shouting matches between overzealous soccer parents (mostly dads that are waaayyy to vested in their DDs soccer life). The biases are obvious and I could probably pinpoint your daughter's college program or verbal committed program. Once again, we go down this unproductive rabbit hole...sigh...
Having expectations for anonymous posters is a road that invariably leads to disappointment and frustration. I recommend a more pragmatic approach. Respond to those that engage in a way you appreciate and ignore the rest. I use the Ricky Watters mantra, "For who, for what?" It wasn't exactly his mantra, but it was his quote and I find it useful when posting on boards.

Anyone that's been on these boards knows who I am and knows who my daughter is. I love talking soccer and how much the youth sports model is screwed up in this country (in every sport). Like I said before, I don't have a dog in this race but do think it's newsworthy. AGAIN, I'm not saying he's guilty of this but I'm not saying he's not either. What I am saying is that we will have to wait till all is played out before taking any concrete position-at least I will.

@EOTL I've reached idiot status many times so calling me an idiot is nothing new..lol. Happy Thanksgiving

Anyone that's been on these boards knows who I am and knows who my daughter is. I love talking soccer and how much the youth sports model is screwed up in this country (in every sport). Like I said before, I don't have a dog in this race but do think it's newsworthy. AGAIN, I'm not saying he's guilty of this but I'm not saying he's not either. What I am saying is that we will have to wait till all is played out before taking any concrete position-at least I will.

@EOTL I've reached idiot status many times so calling me an idiot is nothing new..lol. Happy Thanksgiving
I was told my dd and ME are on the Black List from two assholes. One is out of the game and the other one is still lying to parents ((the customer who pays for the service)). They warned me to STFU and hear I am. Listen and listen some more to what the females have to say. Be open minded to their pain. If male coaches want to treat female players like shit, then they will get shit thrown back at them is all I can say. In fact, all the men in this country need to get their shit together, including me. I'm trying to be better everyday, I promise. Look at our leaders........Let's face it, girls have not been treated very well. I will do my part to help out and be a better man. I'm not saying girls shouldn;t be challenged at the highest level of soccer, but let's keep out all the BS, control, power trips and manipulation out of their lives. The girls are truly innocent. Let's clean up the game and then get back out there. Happy Thanksgiving to one Hoops coach to another.

Has anybody seen following up article?

Yah I saw it the other day...Again, not sure what to believe but I'm sure we'll see what happens in the coming months, if anything. What was most interesting was the kid who was a 3 year starter...

Has anybody seen following up article?

I read through the testimonials. Did you see anything in them that stuck out? I thought they they were pretty thin in terms of proof of any serious issues.

I read through the testimonials. Did you see anything in them that stuck out? I thought they they were pretty thin in terms of proof of any serious issues.
Are you serious? A corroborated theme of nightmares, anxiety, and anguish across 10 yrs and 10 new testimonials from scholarship athletes, some who now play pro and have nothing to gain from this is ‘thin’ proof and ‘not serious’? Lines were repeatedly crossed beyond coach tough love. They’re letters were heart breaking.

Are you serious? A corroborated theme of nightmares, anxiety, and anguish across 10 yrs and 10 new testimonials from scholarship athletes, some who now play pro and have nothing to gain from this is ‘thin’ proof and ‘not serious’? Lines were repeatedly crossed beyond coach tough love. They’re letters were heart breaking.

Someone didn’t actually read the statements. The allegations in the most recent batch are borderline pathetic. Especially the one from the dad of an adult.

Generally speaking, I think it is a serious concern whenever a manager receives this many complaints of emotional and verbal abuse because it exposes the employer to potential liability. At the very least, I think it would be a good idea for the school to document the reports, the school's actions in response, and provide counseling to the players and the coach.

More specifically as to these complaints, the following stood out to me:

1. 2015 incident during practice where the Coach forced players to head driven balls from 20m away without protection, notwithstanding player concerns, and 4 players suffered concussions during the practice.

2. Pressuring a player with an injury to give up her scholarship or get back on the field.

3. Disparaging remarks about a player’s relationship with her family.

4. Blowing up during individual meetings and telling a player “he’ll sign her transfer papers tomorrow” and “she won’t make it anywhere else”.

5. Pressuring a player to give up a scholarship by saying, “don’t bother training over the summer, you won’t be playing your senior year”, “if you come back, you’ll make things toxic”, and that “you are a financial disappointment”.

Generally speaking, I think it is a serious concern whenever a manager receives this many complaints of emotional and verbal abuse because it exposes the employer to potential liability. At the very least, I think it would be a good idea for the school to document the reports, the school's actions in response, and provide counseling to the players and the coach.

More specifically as to these complaints, the following stood out to me:

1. 2015 incident during practice where the Coach forced players to head driven balls from 20m away without protection, notwithstanding player concerns, and 4 players suffered concussions during the practice.

2. Pressuring a player with an injury to give up her scholarship or get back on the field.

3. Disparaging remarks about a player’s relationship with her family.

4. Blowing up during individual meetings and telling a player “he’ll sign her transfer papers tomorrow” and “she won’t make it anywhere else”.

5. Pressuring a player to give up a scholarship by saying, “don’t bother training over the summer, you won’t be playing your senior year”, “if you come back, you’ll make things toxic”, and that “you are a financial disappointment”.

I totally missed your #1....I think I misssed that whole letter. I wonder if the reporter investigated that one.

"Oneevent that sticks out to me as showcasing how fear of Neil influenced the team occurred after apreseasongamein 2015.Neil decided that most ofthe team had been backing out of headers during the game and the following week we had a practice dedicated entirely to heading. It became very clear at the beginning of practice any player that ducked out of a header would be shamed and labeled as cowardly. It is hard to put into words how intimidating and volatile Neil is when he is in these types of moods. As players, we all learned to recognize the signs and knew when to put our heads down and not question or make eye contact with him until practice was over. In this case, we all got on withpractice, individually attacking and clearing balls that were driven to us from 20m away. These were not lofted crosses, but line drives, driven with power. Four players from this practice suffered concussionsand had to miss a week of class. Instead of apologizing to us for putting us in harms way, Neil got us all concussion headbands which we were forced to bring to every practice incase we ever were “practicing heading”. If anyone forgot their headband they would be sent out of practice in disgrace. This exemplifies the intimidation Neil employs and how it resulted in putting the players in a position resulting in serious injury.The underlying issue of this situation looking back was the fact that all of us as players knew if we had backed out it would have been used as justification for not being given minutes later in the season. "

Back