The Next Hope Solo??

pewpew

SILVER ELITE
College Cup Final on Sunday night.. Stanford vs UNC. I don't know about the rest of you GK parents..but the Stanford GK could very well be Hope Solo 2.0 And not in a good way. Back up to the semi-final vs UCLA Friday night. About 3 mins left in the first half and a Stanford player fouls in the box drawing the PK. Stanford GK makes the save. UCLA tries for the rebound. Shot goes wide. Stanford GK walks up on UCLA striker getting in her face while other Stanford players are pulling her back. Totally classless and un-sportsmanlike if you ask me. It's one thing to get pumped after making a key save and celebrate. It's another to go and get in the other player's face.
On to the final Sunday night. Game goes 0-0 thru regulation and OT, and moves to PKs. (UNC GK kept her team in the game with multiple big saves. Stanford GK had a few but UNC never really threatened to score the way Stanford tested the UNC GK repeatedly.)
You have to watch the shootout to really see what I'm talking about. They each had a few saves. The Stanford GK was wayyyyy too arrogant for me. My G03 GK was so irked by her behavior. Mine is more of the quiet professional. She's made her share of game-saving PKs and regular saves. The UNC GK showed nothing but class the whole time.
(Again it comes down to the strikers needing to score to win the game. UNC came up short 2x)
I've never wanted to see a team lose so badly based solely on the behavior of one player.

Although I certainly understand where you are coming from, she is a SoCal girl and her dad is a regular poster on these boards so her antics didn’t bother me as much. Probably because I was already cheering for Stanford once UCLA was eliminated. Goalkeeping is inherently stressful so I suppose that persona helps her stay mentally strong. But yes, I’m sure you weren’t alone in thinking that her behavior might have been over the top.

College Cup Final on Sunday night.. Stanford vs UNC. I don't know about the rest of you GK parents..but the Stanford GK could very well be Hope Solo 2.0 And not in a good way. Back up to the semi-final vs UCLA Friday night. About 3 mins left in the first half and a Stanford player fouls in the box drawing the PK. Stanford GK makes the save. UCLA tries for the rebound. Shot goes wide. Stanford GK walks up on UCLA striker getting in her face while other Stanford players are pulling her back. Totally classless and un-sportsmanlike if you ask me. It's one thing to get pumped after making a key save and celebrate. It's another to go and get in the other player's face.
On to the final Sunday night. Game goes 0-0 thru regulation and OT, and moves to PKs. (UNC GK kept her team in the game with multiple big saves. Stanford GK had a few but UNC never really threatened to score the way Stanford tested the UNC GK repeatedly.)
You have to watch the shootout to really see what I'm talking about. They each had a few saves. The Stanford GK was wayyyyy too arrogant for me. My G03 GK was so irked by her behavior. Mine is more of the quiet professional. She's made her share of game-saving PKs and regular saves. The UNC GK showed nothing but class the whole time.
(Again it comes down to the strikers needing to score to win the game. UNC came up short 2x)
I've never wanted to see a team lose so badly based solely on the behavior of one player.
To add a little perspective, KM’s post PK emotional response was 100% justified (not saying I condone it, but based on the events leading up to it, I can certainly see from whence it came). Didnyou know the UCLA player was talking smack to the Keeper after scoring in her earthier in the game? How about said players Father sitting behind the goal yelling nasty stuff at KM (to the point security had to get involved)?

I here you, but I’m willing to bet with the family and group of people around KM that this becomes a learning experience for further personal growth.

Why arrogant? We need more of this. Hell, PaPa Bear got involved which is awesome too. MF is all world and didn't finish. I think it's because she's from Stanford and young ladies aren't supposed to behave like that. I loved every minute of it. Go KM!!!

Why arrogant? We need more of this. Hell, PaPa Bear got involved which is awesome too. MF is all world and didn't finish. I think it's because she's from Stanford and young ladies aren't supposed to behave like that. I loved every minute of it. Go KM!!!
Yah....a grown ass man verbally attacking an 18 year old women is “awesome”....smh

I am old, and I guess I am old school. I watched the PK clip and she had an amazing 1st save - phenomenal. She was rightly fired up. She did a great job and they won - the last game of the season. Do I prefer the more stoic approach the UNC goalie took, yes. But I also don't like the celebrations in football after a TD. My preference is that you hand the ball to the referee and act like you have been there before. But that is not the society we live, hasn't been for years.
Congrats to Stanford and the goalie.

I am old, and I guess I am old school. I watched the PK clip and she had an amazing 1st save - phenomenal. She was rightly fired up. She did a great job and they won - the last game of the season. Do I prefer the more stoic approach the UNC goalie took, yes. But I also don't like the celebrations in football after a TD. My preference is that you hand the ball to the referee and act like you have been there before. But that is not the society we live, hasn't been for years.
Congrats to Stanford and the goalie.

Big Joe likes to say there are two types of keepers. The beasts that are big, have a certain swagger and are fearless. And the professionals that are good with their feet, composed, cool and collected. Your preference for one or the other may vary.

Big Joe likes to say there are two types of keepers. The beasts that are big, have a certain swagger and are fearless. And the professionals that are good with their feet, composed, cool and collected. Your preference for one or the other may vary.
I want KM style. She just helped her team win the NCAA Woman's Soccer National Championship. Her attitude won the game for the Cardinals 100% IMHO. NC brought major Ganas. Did you see the size of those girls? They were fast, physical and good. Leadership at GK is huge. Nothing like a Pro taking you to the promise land too but not what I want in my GK :)

I see both angles. I always hated playing against mouthy, arrogant players. But, to be a great keeper (or anything for that matter) you gotta be you. She was fiery on the sidelines after each OT period, trying to keep her team pumped up, so I gotta believe that's just who she is. And, the biggest thing is that she backed it up. If you can back it up, it's not smack it's fact.

I also heard the backstory on her reaction to the PK save against UCLA. Apparently, when she gave up the early goal which was a bit soft, the PK shooter was shouting to her teammates "It's the keeper! She's the weak link!" If you watch the replay of the PK and read her lips as she gets in the player's face, you can see her shouting, "Is it the keeper?!" So I believe that story is probably true.

Given that backstory, I can give her a pass on getting in her face. It wasn't like she was disrespecting the shooter and gloating, but rather responding to the trash talk earlier with some of her own.

As for her behavior during and after the shootout, yeah, it's a bit much for my personal taste, and it was a stark comparison with how business like the UNC keeper was. At the same time, it was exciting as hell and my kid loved it. Plus, she gets the last say, because, well, scoreboard.

Hope Solo, for all her negative traits, was probably successful as a keeper because she had that edge naturally and didn't try to tame it. If a fiery personality tries to play it cool, they are going to struggle. Same thing if a cool cat tries to play with too much emotion. I remember playing basketball in HS and having a teammate tell me I needed to talk junk to my opponents, that it would make me play better. I tried it out, and I played terribly. It just wasn't me.

You do you, Katie Meyer, and don't apologize for it.

I see both angles. I always hated playing against mouthy, arrogant players. But, to be a great keeper (or anything for that matter) you gotta be you. She was fiery on the sidelines after each OT period, trying to keep her team pumped up, so I gotta believe that's just who she is. And, the biggest thing is that she backed it up. If you can back it up, it's not smack it's fact.

I also heard the backstory on her reaction to the PK save against UCLA. Apparently, when she gave up the early goal which was a bit soft, the PK shooter was shouting to her teammates "It's the keeper! She's the weak link!" If you watch the replay of the PK and read her lips as she gets in the player's face, you can see her shouting, "Is it the keeper?!" So I believe that story is probably true.

Given that backstory, I can give her a pass on getting in her face. It wasn't like she was disrespecting the shooter and gloating, but rather responding to the trash talk earlier with some of her own.

As for her behavior during and after the shootout, yeah, it's a bit much for my personal taste, and it was a stark comparison with how business like the UNC keeper was. At the same time, it was exciting as hell and my kid loved it. Plus, she gets the last say, because, well, scoreboard.

Hope Solo, for all her negative traits, was probably successful as a keeper because she had that edge naturally and didn't try to tame it. If a fiery personality tries to play it cool, they are going to struggle. Same thing if a cool cat tries to play with too much emotion. I remember playing basketball in HS and having a teammate tell me I needed to talk junk to my opponents, that it would make me play better. I tried it out, and I played terribly. It just wasn't me.

My most aggressive episode as a coach was when I told our nuttiest defender to man-mark the other team's best player and to tell him that he was doing it - "You're not going to get the ball all day".

I want KM style. She just helped her team win the NCAA Woman's Soccer National Championship. Her attitude won the game for the Cardinals 100% IMHO. NC brought major Ganas. Did you see the size of those girls? They were fast, physical and good. Leadership at GK is huge. Nothing like a Pro taking you to the promise land too but not what I want in my GK :)
I’d have to say her backline is what made her job easier. And the fact that Stanford has such a strong offense as well. In this case it’s not the GK holding the team together. Where as I’d go so far as to say the UNC keeper is what definitely kept her team alive in that game.
My G03 is a combo of both. Minus all the swagger. The confidence is there. She’s more of the silent operator after a big save. She doesn’t feel the need to act like an arrogant jackass. She’s happy to do it. And appreciates the gratitude from her teammates.

And the Stanford GKs actions after the UCLA PK are what gets benches cleared in other sports. There is a stark disparity between confidence and arrogance.

A bit of humility goes a long way. Everything can change in an instant that impacts our lives forever.

I think this is really well said. You hear a lot of "back stories". My DD has friends on both teams and there is a lot of differences in what they claim was said in that exchange. Good for KM and her entire TEAM for winning that Championship. A great game. Just think that some of the extracurriculars distract from the game! Not a good look for me. My DD is different......she is the one who calms things down for the backline. Everyone is different. But I would ask everyone the question I posted on a different forum...what if the forward ran into the goal after scoring and stood over the keeper and had to be pulled away by her teammates. Would that be fine and justified by prior trash talk? Pretty sure that would be a straight red. Opinions do vary as do styles and personalities of players.

I think this is really well said. You hear a lot of "back stories". My DD has friends on both teams and there is a lot of differences in what they claim was said in that exchange. Good for KM and her entire TEAM for winning that Championship. A great game. Just think that some of the extracurriculars distract from the game! Not a good look for me. My DD is different......she is the one who calms things down for the backline. Everyone is different. But I would ask everyone the question I posted on a different forum...what if the forward ran into the goal after scoring and stood over the keeper and had to be pulled away by her teammates. Would that be fine and justified by prior trash talk? Pretty sure that would be a straight red. Opinions do vary as do styles and personalities of players.
Absolutely not!!
If a forward ran up to my kid after scoring a PK and started a bunch of trash talk my GK would simply tell her to get out of her face. Beyond that my GK would probably be facing a red. Any actual physical contact with her and you've now crossed a line with her that you probably won't be able to cross back over. You'd be lucky to get away with just a shove. How far my kid takes it depends on how far over the line the forward steps. My kids have all been taught that they sure as hell had better not start trouble...but they have a green light to finish it. Teaching them all martial arts helps. ;)

Back