Switching clubs next year questions...

Wait until the league season is over, ask who's taking new players in for practices in advance of tryouts. Until then, what's the point?

So despite saying she was going to finish the season with her current team, in your opinion, she shouldn't even discuss her move and how to best go about it?

When does the season end officially, after State Cup? That could be well into tryout season, so she isn't allowed to ask questions here until well after next tryout season has begun?

Me thinks you dislike the thought of anyone leaving a club for any reason...at least that's how it seems.

I hope if anything this helps other parents learn more about the rules about this stuff. I didn't know about the August 1st rule or after Thanksgiving. I never thought to ask as I didn't sign up for the club thinking I wouldn't be happy with it. As for me loyalty and commitment are different. My loyalty lies with my kiddo. However she is committed to playing her best for this team just as I am committed to making sure she is well rested, conditioned, at practice and games to the best of our abilities. I think we're kind of beating a dead horse now. I get you disagree with what I'm asking, your opinion is noted. Thanks everyone for your input.

I think this thread is also a good reminder to make sure that your kid is on a team that is at the right level. If your kid is a superstar on a Flight 3 team (not saying this is the case with the OP), then they may get frustrated with players that aren't as advanced. Kinda like having a 3rd grader that reads at a 7th grade level reading books for 3rd graders. They get bored and can't understand why the rest of the kids are on page 7 when your kid has finished the book.
Timbuck this! How do you find out a) what level your kid is at? And b) what team plays at that appropriate level? The names and labels are horrible. Her old B team was far more advanced skill set wise than her current A team. Even though one is considered a 'premiere' team. Her coaches call her an 'impact player' or a 'playmaker' but I've seen her beat numerous times against better trained teams. It is crazy to try and navigate this without any knowledge of the area, clubs, coaches and teams.

So up until August 1 you can switch clubs? Thus play with the club for a few months and make a decision? When is the earliest that you could leave a club once signed after August 1? Once again not interested in doing any of this, just wondering what the rules of these things are.

You can still switch during the Roster Freeze (Aug 1 through Thanksgiving weekend), it just takes more time and paperwork, and the team/club losing the player has an opportunity to deny or delay the transfer.

The rules on transfers seem to swing back and forth over the years, so it is always wise to review the latest edition. Release and transfer is Rule 1.5, starting on page 8 --

http://media.calsouth.com/data/Downloads/About_Us/08.2013CalSouthRulesandRegulations.pdf?rev=CA0E

There's a full spring and summer to feel that stuff out and split if you were lied to.
In reality, practically all clubs require players to make full payment before Aug. 1 without getting any refund should a player decide to leave before Aug. 1. There's a builtin deterrence for players to leave. There're relative few games in spring and summer. Many coaches do change. A coach's fit with player changes. Practically, all a parent can, and should do, is to constantly look for the best fit for his/her own kid. And worry about his own kid's development.

I find it ironic that most parents who demand loyalty from other players tend to do so only with starters. They don't give a damn if a bench player leaves. Pretty obvious what their priorities are.

In reality, practically all clubs require players to make full payment before Aug. 1 without getting any refund should a player decide to leave before Aug. 1. There's a builtin deterrence for players to leave. There're relative few games in spring and summer. Many coaches do change. A coach's fit with player changes. Practically, all a parent can, and should do, is to constantly look for the best fit for his/her own kid. And worry about his own kid's development.

I find it ironic that most parents who demand loyalty from other players tend to do so only with starters. They don't give a damn if a bench player leaves. Pretty obvious what their priorities are.

In reality, practically all clubs offer payment plans spread over the fall season with a small discount for paying the whole fee early.

In reality, practically all clubs offer payment plans spread over the fall season with a small discount for paying the whole fee early.
We had to pay $500 over 10 months. Just put our checks in an envelope with the date we wanted it to be cashed, either one lump sum, $100 x 5, $250 x 2, our choice. The $500 was less than I pay for one month of my older daughters dance. The moral of the story is to not let your daughter dance competitively. :)

Depends on the club, but I tell parents who are shopping around to keep it to themselves. Many coaches who hear that you are practicing with another team take it as a personal insult. I know this first-hand, years ago. My son's best friend played for another local club and he joined a few practices in a row since he was staying over with the friend while we visited family out of state. When we got back we started getting the stink eye on the sidelines and then suddenly my son who never came out was playing 10 minutes a half. Asked the coach about it and he basically said "I give playing time to kids who are committed." and "You literally spit in my face by going behind my back". I was stunned - it's physically impossible to spit in someone's face if their back is turned to you, but whatever. Somehow I doubt telling him about the practices beforehand would have made his reaction any better. That was followed by a conversation with an aggressive DoC who basically told us to leave the club.

Point of the story is I would be careful about how you go about looking for another club midseason.

When we got back we started getting the stink eye on the sidelines and then suddenly my son who never came out was playing 10 minutes a half. Asked the coach about it and he basically said "I give playing time to kids who are committed." and "You literally spit in my face by going behind my back". I was stunned - it's physically impossible to spit in someone's face if their back is turned to you, but whatever. Somehow I doubt telling him about the practices beforehand would have made his reaction any better. That was followed by a conversation with an aggressive DoC who basically told us to leave the club.

Point of the story is I would be careful about how you go about looking for another club midseason.

A clear example of the club forgetting who writes the checks. If it was a full sponsorship thing I could understand more, but my paying huge money "and" giving tons of my time to help manage my kids teams, in my mind, means I set the rules, not the other way around. If another team has something of value to offer my kids, you can bet your ass I'm going to explore it. That doesn't mean I'm going to break any commitments, but nobody here has said that is what they are doing.

Asking questions here is the right thing to be doing and what you do with your child in your time is your business, not anyone else's.

It is all about the kids development, right?

I think telling/not telling is a touchy situation. You need to really judge it by how you think the coach will handle it. And align what you say with any expectations that the coach / club set early on.
As a parent, you absolutely have the right to do what is ever best for your kid. If that means leaving a club mid-season, that is up to you. You also need to decide if you should tell your coach about it. I don't see it really helping anything. Especially if you say "Hey coach. We are 90% sure we are going to leave next year." Does the coach then need to kiss a$$ to try and sway you to stay?
As a coach, if you are focused on development and you have a parent saying "You've got my kid for 3 months and then I'm going somewhere else", you are in a tough situation. You want the kids who are planning to stick around to really develop because they will be with you next year. As a coach, you probably want to feel like all of your kids are going to leave at the end of the season. That way you put in extra effort to make sure that they all love the game, develop and get good playing time. But if you know someone is DEFINITELY leaving, why give that kid extra minutes?

Here's how I "might" approach it.
"Hey Coach. Let me know when you have a few minutes. I wanted to talk with you about Little Suzie. What do you think about her? Her role on the team? How she will develop playing with this team?"
If the stuff the OP mentioned are obvious, the coach is probably already aware of your concerns.
The coach might have a master plan for Little Suzy. He may realize that she is on the wrong team. He may even have recommendations for where she would be a better fit. And he may tell you his plan to keep her engaged and what he will do to push her development on her current team.

I know as a kid, I played for plenty of bad coaches. I don't ever recall any discussion of being taken off of the team to move to something else. I sucked at baseball and played on a really good team. I barely played. I hated it. But there was NEVER a thought to bail out. I was 11 years old. And the first year I played tackle football, I was terrible Many of the kids had already been playing for a few year. I didn't HATE it, but the coaches saw me as a 3rd string nobody as a 6th grader. I never missed a practice. I never missed a game (even though I barely played). And I'm pretty sure I liked it.

Wait until the league season is over, ask who's taking new players in for practices in advance of tryouts. Until then, what's the point? I fail to see how it's anything but hypocritical to complain about parent loyalty when you're on a board discussing next year's move in August.
Once again you are mincing words...the "loyalty" in question would be better served using the word "commitment". It would appear based on her account that the other parents lack the commitment to the team. She plans to keep her commitment to the team by showing up, practicing and remaining with the team thru the season. How is that hypocritical??? If you lease a car and it just isn't running right, are you disloyal to the car manufacturer if you look at other cars before your lease is up?

Here you are attacking individuals again for things you perceive to be wrong, thought you learned from the last time....from everything I've read, she is trying to go about this in the best way possible and with as little disruption to their current situation as possible and you find the need to troll her for it....why? What is more hypocritical, someone who has stated they will honor their commitment or someone bashing that person even though they themselves have done the same thing (switched teams at the end of the season that is)?

What time in the season did you start looking at other clubs last year? Did you wait till after it was all over to start reaching out to people about certain coaches and/or teams?

Lighten up on the people looking for help!

It hasn't been my experience either that you have time to pay until fall either, but my reality is limited as we are only 3 years into this. The pattern seems to be you pay uniform and club fee first, then get a breakdown of tourneys and whatever other moneys due for the year and we pay that in payments but for us it was due within the first 3 months. So we had tryouts in Jan, paid dues/uniform in Feb, started spring season, had one big fundraiser and then paid the rest of the years fees either in one chunk or in 3 payments. Last year was pretty much the same except the parents opted out of fundraising and we just paid the whole thing out of pocket. But on the bright side we are done paying for the year, except hotel costs for out of town tournaments.

This is true with most average to larger clubs. It is the case for both my DD's club but uniform as and Team Fees are separate.

Loyalty: I'm going to do everything I can promote the club because I am an invested partner or I'm sure that we will be part of this club for the next 7 years! Nothing is going to change that, because I love my club so much! Even if the coach leaves or other players come onto my team or my player's situation changes! Heck, I don't even check to see if the monthly direct-deductions from my checking account are correct!

Commitment: I'm going to make sure my child is at practices and games, and do my best to support this team. The coach and club will be recruiting new players after this season, just like they do every year, and my child is free to check out other opportunities as well.

IMHO, loyalty only applies to coaches who are vested financially in a club. Otherwise it's all a series of short commitments.

To others who might be considering this type of move - at all times when dealing with anyone only provide information on a need to know basis and November is around the time you contact other teams to practice with them to see if you like the team and coach and vice versa.
The hard part comes when the new team wants you for State cup and you might feel committed or loyal to the previous team to paly State cup with them, in most cases your best off going with the new team as you're looking to the future and moving on. The main reason for this is because tryouts for the next season take place before State cup and new teams need the player commitment. It sucks, but that is the way it is. And if the current coach is pressuring you in December to commit to the next season they don't necessarily deserve an honest answer. All is fair in love and war and club soccer. Again that is just the way it is.

So if you try out and make a new team you are expected to play State Cup with your new team? Not your old team? I thought there was a roster freeze date for State Cup early on? Can you guest with your new team for State Cup? For example, my daughter plays 04 but is an 05. If she tries out and makes an 05 team could she not guest with them while still playing with her old team and fulfilling that commitment? This stuff is confusing!

Well this thread certainly has evoked various perspectives and emotions from our community about changing teams and when. One of the things that make the subject so difficult is that we all have our own kid's vested interest.

If one removes the child and look at it purely as business relationship, then the following couple of things stand out:

1) One enters a contract for a season (as defined in each respective contract) and the termination clause are articulated within the contract (e.g., no refunds, may not be released to play for others and so on...). The contract implies that both parties will honor the terms. This include the signed players will not be dropped during the contract period, in favor of new/better player by the team/club side, and parents will not take the player out of the contract in favor of another team. It also typically includes that the club soccer is the priority sports for the player. There are things that change, like moving out of the area, player wants to quit playing, and so on. But for the most part, its a two-way agreement that is supposed to be honored by both sides.

2) Since its a business relationship, one has to look after the best interest of own benefit. Problems occur usually as results from the other party not living up to the expectations, implicit or explicit, when the agreement was signed. Once the failure to meet exceptions is established, there are various remedies that include corrective actions to get back on track to ending the relationship. The range is large and the remedy is different case by case (including the personality of the coach and the parents). If departure is selected during the contract period, CalSouth (governing body) will arbitrate and most often will force the club to release the player.

Like anything in business, ethics and integrity is a paramount - by both sides. Which now brings the discussion back to this thread. There is no simply if this, then that type of response that fits every situation, I believe. It is highly case-by-case situation.

Most club contracts stipulates the season as from the time of signing to the end of the State tournament. It is typically April~March for Younger and June~May for Olders. The notion of leaving your current team to go play State Cup with the new team, my sense, is a mistake. Because most teams want to sign you for the new upcoming season while the majority of the current team players have not renewed their contract. One has no idea if all, most, half or few players are coming back. This include the coach. Most coaches are on annual renewal and they change clubs just as players do for a better deal. I've seen a coach sign players up then move to a new club. It may or may not workout with the new coach the club assigns or if you've paid and want to follow the coach, its money lost in the transaction.

If you know that the new team is willing to have you kid just "guest" during the State tournament, and you move before the roster freeze date, maybe....

So, there you go....

Btw, the best way to get onto a new, good team is by skipping the official "Tryout" date and workout with the team prior to the official date. When I moved my then U12 kid years ago, I had him workout in January and secured a spot (verbal commitment only) with the new team while finishing State Cup with the old team. At the end of the tournament, we left and moved onto the new club. He attended one practice a week with the new team, while finishing with the old.

Last edited:
So if you try out and make a new team you are expected to play State Cup with your new team? Not your old team? I thought there was a roster freeze date for State Cup early on? Can you guest with your new team for State Cup? For example, my daughter plays 04 but is an 05. If she tries out and makes an 05 team could she not guest with them while still playing with her old team and fulfilling that commitment? This stuff is confusing!
There're two sets of rules in play: CalSouth's and each individual league's. CalSouth allows players to move the first Monday after Thanksgiving. Some leagues have more restrictive rules, and I'm only familiar with SCDSL rules. SCDSL allows transfer only after State/National Cup. The more restrictive rules govern. If the outgoing DOC approves the transfer and releases you, these rules don't apply.

On the other hand, there no rules restricting clubs from getting new players who just moved from outside CalSouth's or league's jurisdiction. It's a one-sided restriction. Clubs are not restricted to keep the roster size the same, and are free to change coaches anytime, but players cannot move around even when the coach or club no longer fits his/her development and you've made full payment.

Guesting is a whole different topic.

Back