SW Division Updates

So this is just going out now in terms of how the SW will be split.

Slammers
Real So Cal
Eagles
Heat
Beach
LA Breakers
Arsenal FC
Legends FC
RSL/Royals

And

AZ Arsenal
Phx Rising
Surf
Blues
LAFC
Rebels
del Mar Sharks
Strikers

Slammers
Real So Cal
Eagles
Heat
Beach
LA Breakers
Arsenal FC
Legends FC
RSL/Royals

And

AZ Arsenal
Phx Rising
Surf
Blues
LAFC
Rebels
del Mar Sharks
Strikers
Oh goodie Hound. Look's like our bet is back on brother. I was scared that the rumors were true...lol. For U18/19 division, this split up looks fair and balanced.

I was curious if they’d split them 9/9 like they did up here in the north east where the two groups don’t play each other any more.
Right now it is just 17 teams. We have 14 this year. They added Beach, Legends and Royals.

My understanding from before is that in your split your club will play the other clubs 2 times. Then for the other group your club isn't part of you play them 1 time.

Surf, blues and lafc on the same side seems odd to me. In general, aren't these the top 3 in most age groups?

The cynic in me thinks so much of this stuff is political. When they split the old northeast conference into New England and North Atlantic (9 & 9) PDA was right in the geographic middle (Massachusetts to Maryland). PDA white was placed in the New England conference and PDA Blue (their much stronger sides) were placed in the North Atlantic conference. Both PDA Blue & White train out of the same location in northern NJ.

Supposedly it was done that way so PDA Blue & Stars Blue (Stars also has two licenses they call Blue & White) could avoid each other and wouldn’t be fighting for the same champions league spots.

Surf, blues and lafc on the same side seems odd to me. In general, aren't these the top 3 in most age groups?
Other than splitting the two Slammers teams, it appears it was done geographically for the CA teams. Orange and San Diego County teams are in one group, while Ventura/Los Angeles/Riverside teams are in the other.

Slammers
Real So Cal
Eagles
Heat
Beach
LA Breakers
Arsenal FC
Legends FC
RSL/Royals

And

AZ Arsenal
Phx Rising
Surf
Blues
LAFC
Rebels
del Mar Sharks
Strikers

Does ECNL ever drop clubs if they continuously perform poorly over an extended period of time?

How are the Del Mar Sharks able to stay in ECNL?

Does ECNL ever drop clubs if they continuously perform poorly over an extended period of time?

How are the Del Mar Sharks able to stay in ECNL?
Del Mar Sharks stay in ECNL for two reasons. The first is that they're run by a woman. In CA women owned / run businesses are in demand. The second is that Surf likes it this way. By keeping Sharks around they guarantee first shot at all up and coming recruits. If ECNL brought on Albion or City there would be competition for players.

Del Mar Sharks stay in ECNL for two reasons. The first is that they're run by a woman. In CA women owned / run businesses are in demand. The second is that Surf likes it this way. By keeping Sharks around they guarantee first shot at all up and coming recruits. If ECNL brought on Albion or City there would be competition for players.
If SD parents were smart theyd get together and create their own super team and use Sharks as the gateway to ECNL.

This seems like it makes some sense but does 1 club have the power to dictate the rules to a national league? The answer seems to be YES but then why would another club subject themselves to this? I appreciate being top of the pack. I appreciate being middle of the pack and battling for wins.. why on earth regularly go 1-9 and 0-13.. isn't this demoralizing for the club and team?

This seems like it makes some sense but does 1 club have the power to dictate the rules to a national league? The answer seems to be YES but then why would another club subject themselves to this? I appreciate being top of the pack. I appreciate being middle of the pack and battling for wins.. why on earth regularly go 1-9 and 0-13.. isn't this demoralizing for the club and team?
I'm oversimplifying but...

Surf was a founding member of ECNL but jumped ship to DA when they thought it was a better play. When Surf + other teams started moving to DA ECNL brought in different teams to take their place. This is how Sharks were brought into ECNL.

Last year DA blew up and Surf, Blues, others went back to ECNL.

General FYI, A couple of years ago Surf tried to "buy" DMCV Sharks like they recently "bought" SDSC. I'm using "quotes" around buy because it wasn't a true buyout. More like a patching over but they would never be part of the Surf SD club. Sharks leadership put joining out to a vote and Parents chose to decline Surfs offer.

Culturally Surf and Sharks are very different. Surf has no problem cutting / moving players around. Sharks want to win but they're a little more sensitive to the repercussions of cuts.

For what it's worth there's a lot of SD parents starting to reach out to Sharks because of ECNL now that DA's gone. Over time assuming ECNL does't offer membership to any other SD clubs the Sharks record will improve.

I'm oversimplifying but...

Surf was a founding member of ECNL but jumped ship to DA when they thought it was a better play. When Surf + other teams started moving to DA ECNL brought in different teams to take their place. This is how Sharks were brought into ECNL.

Last year DA blew up and Surf, Blues, others went back to ECNL.

General FYI, A couple of years ago Surf tried to "buy" DMCV Sharks like they recently "bought" SDSC. I'm using "quotes" around buy because it wasn't a true buyout. More like a patching over but they would never be part of the Surf SD club. Sharks leadership put joining out to a vote and Parents chose to decline Surfs offer.

Culturally Surf and Sharks are very different. Surf has no problem cutting / moving players around. Sharks want to win but they're a little more sensitive to the repercussions of cuts.

For what it's worth there's a lot of SD parents starting to reach out to Sharks because of ECNL now that DA's gone. Over time assuming ECNL does't offer membership to any other SD clubs the Sharks record will improve.
Nice summary. I just don't see the Sharks improving. Wanting to win and being willing to do what it takes are 2 different things and thus far DMCV has not shown a willingness to do what it takes to win. Sharks have talent, but plenty of players are willing to drive north to OC for the Blues and the Rebels are going to pull some of the talent pool that would otherwise go to DMCV, not to mention Surf is in their backyard. DMCV seems like they would rather be "liked" than be successful.

I appreciate the answer and insight. I'm new to this formum and at first was not sure if this was just filled with crazy kooky people or actual useful information..I'm kidding. I do see some crazy but also valuable information and thoughtful comments. Thanks.

Albion San Diego and City SC have much stronger teams for top to bottom than DMCV Sharks. Perhaps it would be better for the Sharks to drop ECNL and join the GA?

Albion San Diego and City SC have much stronger teams for top to bottom than DMCV Sharks. Perhaps it would be better for the Sharks to drop ECNL and join the GA?
So they can lose in GA instead of losing in ECNL? I think they would end up toward the bottom in most GA age groups too.

I'm still surprised that Albion isn't ECNL.

Back