Surf Players Being Discouraged from playing HS?

High school soccer is garbage. From my personal experience in a CIF-LA league, the teams are never built to full potential. You have talented kids who get grade cut (which in my opinion is the dumbest thing ever), you have coaches who show favoritism to players who are sometimes absolutely terrible but because they were in JV the years before they get an automatic spot. Nobody watches the games, sometimes not even the players families because it’s on a school day where they might be at work. And last but not least you have coaches who keep their jobs every year even though they have terrible results because of seniority. I compare HS Soccer to playing CSL Bronze maybe Silver if we’re being generous.
In my opinion it sounds like the OP is just trying to stir something up because this is Surfs choice. If a kid wants to play HS soccer then leave Surf simple as that. But don’t go saying “oh I thought ECNL said HS soccer is okay so why is surf saying to not do it” because like I said that’s the clubs personal choice.
Your League might be that way, but our girls league has a CIF winner from last year D3 and a Quarter Finalist D1. Teams have 5-10 ECNL players each as well as top players from SoCal League and CSL. Only one poor team out of 6, the rest produce great games.

As many have mentioned, if you kid wants to do it then we as parents should let them.

You have talented kids who get grade cut (which in my opinion is the dumbest thing ever)
You raise some good points, but telling kids they don't get to play HS soccer unless they keep a certain grade point average gives some motivation to a few kids to do better in school. I can't see how that is the dumbest thing ever. School is more important than soccer for almost everyone.

MW just watched his ‘05 thru ‘07 DMCV Sharks ECNL girls lose by a combined 16 goals this past weekend in league play to Deza.
I hope MW can turn it around, but it’s gonna take a lot of patience, coaching, and most of all….recruiting.
It's going to take time for MW to get things going at Sharks. Assuming he doesnt leave any time soon.

Surf has been funneling top level talent (both player and coaching) for a long time. Sharks only recently stopped sucking as much as usual.

High school soccer is garbage. From my personal experience in a CIF-LA league, the teams are never built to full potential. You have talented kids who get grade cut (which in my opinion is the dumbest thing ever), you have coaches who show favoritism to players who are sometimes absolutely terrible but because they were in JV the years before they get an automatic spot. Nobody watches the games, sometimes not even the players families because it’s on a school day where they might be at work. And last but not least you have coaches who keep their jobs every year even though they have terrible results because of seniority. I compare HS Soccer to playing CSL Bronze maybe Silver if we’re being generous.
In my opinion it sounds like the OP is just trying to stir something up because this is Surfs choice. If a kid wants to play HS soccer then leave Surf simple as that. But don’t go saying “oh I thought ECNL said HS soccer is okay so why is surf saying to not do it” because like I said that’s the clubs personal choice.

Maybe your kid had a bad experience, but it's hardly typical. HS allows many elite players, who spend years working hard in club but get zero recognition from their peers, to be finally recognized which can be a big deal. HS soccer can also help elite players develop leadership and individual skills since they get to be the undisputed alpha for a change, whereas they're just one of many on a top club team. If you're upset HS soccer isn't helping kids reach their full potential, you're missing the point because it isn't about that. Of course HS won't help anyone reach their full potential as soccer players but, honestly, that's highly overrated and usually a stupid priority. HS can help many kids reach their potential as well rounded people during some hugely important formative years, however.

Kids also don't get grade cut if they're actually good, with the exception that freshmen playing varsity often presents concerns about physical or emotional maturity. If a kid is cut from HS, or not getting PT due to perceived favoritism, the inescapable reality is they just aren't very good even if reasonable minds differ whether they're better than the crappy kid who barely made the team over them or the worst of the other 10 or more field players who are getting more PT. Almost always, the parent who is angry about these things had ridiculously inflated opinions about their kid's ability, because truly good players are never, ever at risk for those problems. Bad players might be but, if so, it also means they're part of the problem with the sometimes low quality of HS play that you are complaining about.

And if you're upset a coach selected a player for varsity because they worked hard, put in their dues, and showed loyalty over the course of multiple years, I highly recommend you take a step back and re-evaluate, because you are missing a very important life lesson that is so obvious it doesn't need explaining. You are also missing an important lesson if you're upset about HS coaches keeping their job despite poor results, namely that HS soccer is not important to a HS administration compared to pretty much anything. In fact, good for any HS coach who rewards good kids who work hard and show commitment over prima donnas who have bitter angry parents with delusional opinions about their kids' ability and who expect to be given whatever they want just by rolling in and without having to put in any work.

And your assertion that no one watches HS games is wrong. My kid's team had better attendance at every HS game she ever played than any ECNL, GDA or even YNT game, and at least 3 with more than 1,000 fans. I'm sure there are schools where no one watches because they team is shit but, really, if a team is so bad it can't beat other "garbage" opposition, that's the real problem, not HS soccer generally.

Well, my dd is playing HHS for the fourth year in row and ain't no one going to tell her not to either. She had some top Docs tell her HSS is shit and dangerous and stay clear of hss. Her hss team is in the #1 league in the country, moo. Everyone and everyone who plays ECNL or GA will be playing HSS. Not all leagues are the same. I'm getting ready to watch our home opener against the power house JSierra. This is a Diana vs Goliatha type of game and we need miracle. Shall we park da bus and go for the tie? Kickball anyone? How about just play for fun and play the passing game and not worry about the "W." I will say I'm super duper looking forward to watching a match with a full house of students and family. Good luck to all the great high school matches tonight and this season. Play possession, pass it on :) P.S. If your a ref, please call quick fouls early on and please hand out yellow and reds. If my kid needs a card, give it to her. I'm really grateful to watch this last season. I'm not happy about being called up to Division 1 but oh well. Safety first refs!!!

IT
MW just watched his ‘05 thru ‘07 DMCV Sharks ECNL girls lose by a combined 16 goals this past weekend in league play to Deza.
I hope MW can turn it around, but it’s gonna take a lot of patience, coaching, and most of all….recruiting.
It was not pretty for Sharks but to be accurate:
U19 1-0 Surf
U17 2-0 Surf (Deza coached)
U16 6-0 Surf
U15 4-0 Surf (includes MW recruits) (Deza coached)
U14 6-0 Surf (MW coached team with multiple Albion recruits)
U13 6-1 Surf (MW coached team and 90% his Albion 09 team)

MW is not the savior everyone seems to think he will be for Sharks. He doesn't have the patience, coaching skill, nor does San Diego have enough talent outside Surf to be competitive in the Sonoran division. MW was out coached by CB in the 09 game as well by DT in the 08 game. The older Sharks coaches made better adjustments than MW in their games to keep it close.

IT

U19 1-0 Surf
U16 6-0 Surf

MW is not the savior everyone seems to think he will be for Sharks. He doesn't have the patience, coaching skill, nor does San Diego have enough talent outside Surf to be competitive in the Sonoran division. MW was out coached by CB in the 09 game as well by DT in the 08 game. The older Sharks coaches made better adjustments than MW in their games to keep it close.
MW hasn't been there six months. You have to give him some time!!

IT

U19 1-0 Surf
U16 6-0 Surf

MW has had these teams for 2 months and yes there were alot of 09 girls from his old team that came but the other teams only have 1-3 new players if that. I know that the 07s have 2-3 new players and the 08 have 2 new field players (not enough to completly transform a team no matter the talent). And you are going to measure sucess by wether or not they beat Surf one of the top teams? MW hasn't even had tryouts yet. He hasn't even picked his team. Give him a full year and then you can say something. It's great to see another ECNL option for girls in SD. I have no doubt he won't have any problem recruiting this year and from clubs other than Albion. I am rooting for them.

IT

U19 1-0 Surf
U16 6-0 Surf

The multiple recruits you speak of has not happened yet. The 09 team does have multiple but also includes multiple 2010 players playing up. 07 and 08 maybe at most has 1 or 2 recruits. MW is having tryouts soon so we will see what happens then. Any type of judgement is just way too early. Most rosters are still 90 percent original shark players, he is doing the right thing to allow the original players to play until a proper tryout.

I don't know MW. I know that CB & DT are both good coaches. Maybe MW was out coached, but unless changes are made you may see a reshuffling of SD talent. I am hearing there are quite a few unhappy parents.

Can one of you all define what you mean by "grade cut".

I have no idea whether you mean
- cutting someone whose academic grade is too high ( decent, but too old for JV)
- cutting someone whose academic grade is too low. ( Good enough, but no frosh on varsity.)
-putting someone in a reduced grade, to give them an age advantage. (Redshirting)
-cutting someone who can't compete because of bad grades

The last seems most likely, but I can't see why that would qualify as a dumb idea.

Sharks have 1 , Flight 1 team between 2010-2014 girls ( 2010 girls )

Give CIty SC Carlsbad ECNL status and take away from sharks :)
Not likely to happen for a while. Duggan went all in on DA, GA, and DPL a while ago + doesnt seem to want to change.

Also City licensing its name to smaller clubs would make a switch to ECNL difficult.

Also also Surf and to a lesser extent Blues dont want City in ECNL.

Not likely to happen for a while. Duggan went all in on DA, GA, and DPL a while ago + doesnt seem to want to change.

Also City licensing its name to smaller clubs would make a switch to ECNL difficult.

Why in the world would Blues care about City?

Duggan begged for ECNL, applied every year until he was bailed out with DA. What Surf and Blues want is Duggan to stay DOC and chase every high level player to their clubs. He also chases his high level coaches from BG to now AW to Surf, let alone all the others that are coaching around North County. Lightning/Wave/Galaxy/City will never have ECNL until the club gets a new DOC. It is a shame for all the talented players in Carlsbad that could stay in their own backyard but are forced to continue their development elsewhere because of his narcissistic approach to running a club. Every ECNL roster at Blues and Surf has Carlsbad girls. A sad story to look at the Carlsbad High/Sage Creek rosters and see the best players are those that play club soccer at Surf and Blues. City’s affiliate network has nothing to do with not getting ECNL. Surf and Slammers have affiliates all over SoCal, no problem there.

Why in the world would Blues care about City?
Surf and Blues have the same reasons for keeping City out of ECNL. North County SD has a lot of talent. Surf likes to comb through all of the City/Galaxy/United teams for players to recruit.

Before MW went to Sharks Carlsbad/Oceanside players would go to Blues if they didnt get into Surf. Believe it or not the drive to Blues from North San Diego is pretty much the same as Surf /Polo fields (when you factor in traffic)

Surf and Blues have the same reasons for keeping City out of ECNL. North County SD has a lot of talent. Surf likes to comb through all of the City/Galaxy/United teams for players to recruit.

Before MW went to Sharks Carlsbad/Oceanside players would go to Blues if they didnt get into Surf. Believe it or not the drive to Blues from North San Diego is pretty much the same as Surf /Polo fields (when you factor in traffic)
MW is a fantastic coach and an even better guy but if any of you seriously think that Surf will lose out you are nuts. I watched 4/5 of the games on Sunday and the scores didn’t tell the story. Every game could have been 10+.

MW is a fantastic coach and an even better guy but if any of you seriously think that Surf will lose out you are nuts. I watched 4/5 of the games on Sunday and the scores didn’t tell the story. Every game could have been 10+.
It doesnt matter if Sharks beat Surf or not. However Sharks will get better over time and eventually one of the teams will beat Surf. (What I would pay to be a fly on the wall in that coaches meeting)

For now pressing for a culture change in Sharks + fostering a winning attitude is the first step.

It doesnt matter if Sharks beat Surf or not. However Sharks will get better over time and eventually one of the teams will beat Surf. (What I would pay to be a fly on the wall in that coaches meeting)

For now pressing for a culture change in Sharks + fostering a winning attitude is the first step.
To beat the best, you need to give full rides to your top 11 players. My advice to MW is to offer a "free 4 year development offer" to all top players in SD, South OC and Temecula and even Mexico. I'm serious. Pay the top players to come play for your club and you win, trust me!!!

Last edited:

I don't think anyone here is saying that Red. Surf's rock solid starting 11 are not going anywhere, or even the 12-14 that get enough playing time. It's the 15 to 20, and solid ECRL players that Sharks may be able to pick up here and there that improve their starting 11. At least to a point to give other teams in the league better games. That's clearly the objective, and that situation would be better for everyone involved I would think.

Back