Surf Players Being Discouraged from playing HS?

Was talking to a friend who has a DD on a Surf ECNL/RL team and she said that they are being discouraged from playing High School soccer. Has anyone else heard this? I thought that the big advantage of ECNL versus the old DA was playing HS with their school friends. Hope it isn't true as it would be a shame to not give these girls this opportunity.

Was talking to a friend who has a DD on a Surf ECNL/RL team and she said that they are being discouraged from playing High School soccer. Has anyone else heard this? I thought that the big advantage of ECNL versus the old DA was playing HS with their school friends. Hope it isn't true as it would be a shame to not give these girls this opportunity.

Some club coaches in general with discourage playing HS but doesn't Surf girls have a far number of HS players each year? Boys always seem to outside of DA.

Some club coaches in general with discourage playing HS but doesn't Surf girls have a far number of HS players each year? Boys always seem to outside of DA.

In the boys DA years, some players would play on Surf until their Senior year, and then drop DA to get some fun time with their HS friends.

... it's the Surf way or the highway.
I say it's more of the Deza way, moo. This guy is the two touch guru and I like the style for safety reasons and it's the right way to ball. HSS is rugby and refs never call early yellow and quick red to end this madness. No more waivers needed because Deza is a real coach and he will say it like it is, which I prefer. I was only mad because of the waiver issue with the GDA. Deza will just waive you goodbye if you want to play HSS and that's that.

Hs soccer isn't pretty. But many kids like it. If you are on the D1/NT/Pro-Track- I could see Surf discouraging it.
But what if you are on the ECNL team but only get garbage time in blowout games. You are number 19 on the roster (and they can only bring 18 to each game).
If Surf wants to produce pros- this is a good move. If they want to retain players- might not be a good move.

I say it's more of the Deza way, moo. This guy is the two touch guru and I like the style for safety reasons and it's the right way to ball. HSS is rugby and refs never call early yellow and quick red to end this madness. No more waivers needed because Deza is a real coach and he will say it like it is, which I prefer. I was only mad because of the waiver issue with the GDA. Deza will just waive you goodbye if you want to play HSS and that's that.
Is Deza going to wave goodbye to all the talented surf players that don't like his mouth and have won alot of games for surf?? Surf girls ECNL teams didnt win a game last weekend... has that ever happened?? Player pools and Deza....MW is sounding real good for north county girls

I was waiting for that "like" from you Kicking & Screaming. You know exactly what the real deal soccer is. You guys were a fun team for my dd to play against way back when. My kid would have given up HSS to train with PD or Deza if they were the coaches. He pulled mine aside after a tough loss a few weeks ago and had some nice things to say her and that made her day :) Not trying to brag or think because he said __________________________________ this & that, that she deserves a virtual call up is a totally out of the question. My kid 100% played his style and I wish he came three years ago if I were to be honest. I love the style!! Hey Timmy, if you really want to know what he said I'll PM you.....lol!

Last edited:
Is Deza going to wave goodbye to all the talented surf players? that don't like his mouth and have won alot of games for surf?? Surf girls ECNL teams didnt win a game last weekend... has that ever happened?? Player pools and Deza....MW is sounding real good for north county girls
Yes! He will pull the best from all of Socal, not SD Nest big thing. Sharks is nice for the locals that can;t hang with his style. His style is not for most and most can;t think fast enough. I honestly wish his style was mandated for all soccer. He will produce, give him some time.

I was waiting for that "like" from you Kicking & Screaming. You know exactly what the real deal soccer is. You guys were a fun team for my dd to play against way back when. My kid would have given up HSS to train with PD or Deza if they were the coaches. He pulled mine aside after a tough loss a few weeks ago and had some nice things to say her and that made her day :) Not trying to brag or think because he said __________________________________ this & that, that she deserves a virtual call up. My kid 100% played his style and I wish he came three years ago if I were to be honest. I love the style!! Hey Timmy, if you really want to know what he said I'll PM you.....lol!

Very cool for your player. That had to feel good.

Thanks for the info. I think it is too bad. Playing against a more physical style has its risk but as they get older they will see more of it, Looking back on past Surf, National Team stars like Mia Fishel playing HS didn’t seem to stunt her development. Played 2 years before the archaic DA rules seemed to force her to HS Basketball her last two years.

A lot of DOC’s love controlling players. That is not specific to Surf though.

That 2 month winter break is a long layoff for games and it is fun to play with your classmates.

Very cool for your player. That had to feel good.
It did after all she has been through injury wise this season and Covid the last two seasons has been horrible. She got some real good praise at her only ID Camp as well and she keeps that close to her heart. Deza is not easy to please as most tough coaches can be and all good coaches rarely give praise to other players. I actually appreciated it as well if I were to be honest. I'm not trying to brag or boast about how great my kid is. She has only played in about 15 games the last three club seasons. She really loves HSS and she can;t wait for senior season. He called her by name too so that was nice for her as well. Trust me Tim, he remembers her when she scored two goals on K & S old team. Her team won 2-0 and he was pissed. This is where she was at her peak bro, like three years ago. She really loves to battle in matches still and will look to finish her career with a great attitude.

Yes! He will pull the best from all of Socal, not SD Nest big thing. Sharks is nice for the locals that can;t hang with his style. His style is not for most and most can;t think fast enough. I honestly wish his style was mandated for all soccer. He will produce, give him some time.
Please tell me what age groups he's going to dominate in. Seems he's a Tad late in the ECNL ages...

Please tell me what age groups he's going to dominate in. Seems he's a Tad late in the ECNL ages...
I caught that, nice one :) He did inherit a program that was not producing from when my dd was winning championships there. Let's give him a year more and then he will have a ECNL Championship at one of the age groups

For those who know Deza from Nor Cal days, I'd be surprised if the kids have a choice in playing HS or not. I thought it was part of the contract no HS.... :)

Options…

play fun, comraderie, home crowd cheering you on to victory High School soccer for a coach who played one year of HS soccer himself…

or, play and learn the Game from seasoned, smart coach but club parents who more or less sit on their hands except when their team scores…

I guess it depends on how and when you want your soccer journey to end…

Options…

play fun, comraderie, home crowd cheering you on to victory High School soccer for a coach who played one year of HS soccer himself…

or, play and learn the Game from seasoned, smart coach but club parents who more or less sit on their hands except when their team scores…

I guess it depends on how and when you want your soccer journey to end…

False dichotomy. In San Diego Section, at least, many of the HS coaches have been playing and coaching (and some refereeing) their whole lives. Don't allow your bad experience to color the whole universe.

Back