Surf Players Being Discouraged from playing HS?

I can substantiate your post. My youngest 06 DD played for LAGSB and LAG DA. We went head to head with MW 06 Albion team for several years. Great battles playing possession minded soccer. I won't post it but I have the film from some of those games.

To be fair, and this is by no means a knock on MW, but its easier to play good soccer and make the coach look good when you are flush with smart, athletic and skilled players. When a team is outmatched is when you tend to see more panic long balls and lumpier soccer. That Albion 06 team was pretty stacked. Many of those players bailed to Surf last year though when the DA folded.

To be fair, and this is by no means a knock on MW, but its easier to play good soccer and make the coach look good when you are flush with smart, athletic and skilled players. When a team is outmatched is when you tend to see more panic long balls and lumpier soccer. That Albion 06 team was pretty stacked. Many of those players bailed to Surf last year though when the DA folded.
When the DA broke, 1 went to Surf, 1 to Sharks, 6 to Rebels, 1 to Blues RL who is back to Albion and one moved to Texas. They were a talented group for sure.

He had those players for many years. Developed those players. They did not always play in this manner. It took time. So, the year they won Regionals at Far West was a high point.

Someone is wayyyyyy too invested and spending wayyyyy too much time with youth soccer.

MW seems like nice guy, but if I'm being completely honest, I always thought his teams played a lot of kickball. Watch his defenders, do they try to possess and pass the ball out and around or just blast the ball out of bounds or forward over the midfield? Maybe that's changed.
Nonsense, you've confused him with someone else. My kids played MW's teams for years and they were always well coached and disciplined passing/possession teams. As I recall, they could be knocked off their game with physical & speed kickball. In the end, they were always great games, losing more of the matchups than won. Given time, he'll have an impact at Sharks.

Someone is wayyyyyy too invested and spending wayyyyy too much time with youth soccer.

MW seems like nice guy, but if I'm being completely honest, I always thought his teams played a lot of kickball. Watch his defenders, do they try to possess and pass the ball out and around or just blast the ball out of bounds or forward over the midfield? Maybe that's changed.
I also disagree. We've watched him coach for years and we've watched him develop mediocre players from just being decent to true ballers. He knows how to develop players but he also knows how to adjust during the game and he defiently knows how to win. There have been so many games where on paper MW is outmatched with stronger horses but pulls out a win. He is smart and isn't bound to one style of play. Playing out the back and having defenderd that PASS and don't just kick is one of the most important ways to control a game. If you are not seeing it from Sharks now it is only becuase he has just started, they will be controlling it out of the back in no time, trust me. I think it's true...Surf will not lose any of their starters to sharks. They will be getting high Surf ECNLR players and those on the first team who are recieving very little playing. Besides from the Surf first team....it should be a no brainer for any G07 and below to move to Sharks. It is 1 of 3 ECNL clubs in socal, has a strong new DOC who is a great coach and good guy, and is local. I honeslty can't think of a reason why anyone who is decent would not go. I have never heard of or seen anything other than great things come from MW. I predict that by the end of next season Sharks will have at least 5 Girls teams in top 4 of their league...I've seen him do it. If my girls weren't in their final year of recruitng I'd take them in a heart beat.

I also disagree. We've watched him coach for years and we've watched him develop mediocre players from just being decent to true ballers. He knows how to develop players but he also knows how to adjust during the game and he defiently knows how to win. There have been so many games where on paper MW is outmatched with stronger horses but pulls out a win. He is smart and isn't bound to one style of play. Playing out the back and having defenderd that PASS and don't just kick is one of the most important ways to control a game. If you are not seeing it from Sharks now it is only becuase he has just started, they will be controlling it out of the back in no time, trust me. I think it's true...Surf will not lose any of their starters to sharks. They will be getting high Surf ECNLR players and those on the first team who are recieving very little playing. Besides from the Surf first team....it should be a no brainer for any G07 and below to move to Sharks. It is 1 of 3 ECNL clubs in socal, has a strong new DOC who is a great coach and good guy, and is local. I honeslty can't think of a reason why anyone who is decent would not go. I have never heard of or seen anything other than great things come from MW. I predict that by the end of next season Sharks will have at least 5 Girls teams in top 4 of their league...I've seen him do it. If my girls weren't in their final year of recruitng I'd take them in a heart beat.
This is exactly how I see things going as well.

Surf will always have the name and brand but it's going to get diluted as Sharks start pulling sidelined talent.

Seems like a no-brainer if you're a bubble player at Surf. Continue sitting on the bench or start at Sharks. They play in the same ECNL league + you have a better chance of being ID'd.

This is exactly how I see things going as well.

Surf will always have the name and brand but it's going to get diluted as Sharks start pulling sidelined talent.

Seems like a no-brainer if you're a bubble player at Surf. Continue sitting on the bench or start at Sharks. They play in the same ECNL league + you have a better chance of being ID'd.
I firmly believe that anyone who signs up to play soccer under the age of 17 should actually get in the game and play minutes. Seriously, why sign up? I know one player when she was 11 was super fast but didnt make the A team. In fact, she was on the C team. Why C team? Because she wanted to play most of the game so she could get better. Today, she is on the A team going to one of the best schools in our country on a soccer scholarship. Based on all the great things about MW, the club will do great and will be a great option for the girls who dont want to be in a pool of 40 hoping to be called out of that pool so they could play in the game.

Eh that's too bad. I was hopeful that MW would be able to lure him to Sharks. Great pickup for Surf. I assume that implies CB will be moving up to olders?

How will this change things? View attachment 12238
I've heard great things about Walker. I think it shows that GA clubs are not only losing top players but top coaches to ECNL clubs and the true state the GA and GA clubs are in, which isn't good. GA had a weak debut last year and is even worse this year with top GA teams and GA players moving to ECNL. I think more and more will jump the GA ship before it sinks.

CB's Surf G2009 team got a scare today from MW's G2009 Sharks team at Surf College Cup. Sharks came close but lost 0-1 in the Final.

Also hearing that CB's Surf 2010s barely beat Eagles.

Surf better wake up + make some changes quick. Other clubs are coming and arrogance is not bringing in talent.

CB's Surf G2009 team got a scare today from MW's G2009 Sharks team at Surf College Cup. Sharks came close but lost 0-1 in the Final.

Also hearing that CB's Surf 2010s barely beat Eagles.

Surf better wake up + make some changes quick. Other clubs are coming and arrogance is not bringing in talent.

How about one of their u-little teams deciding to win a game 25-0 in so cal league this year

can’t confirm because no scores posted , but did hear that one a couple weeks back

Back