Surf Cup

I'm starting to feel like "we play possession soccer" is an excuse for losing. Which clubs play pretty soccer against strong defensive teams in a crowded 9v9 field? If you aren't possessing much of the soccer ball and can't connect passes due to pressure, are you really playing posssession soccer? Or is just the act of trying to pass possession style soccer now?

That's what I'm wondering? Which 2011 girls team had great possession and controlled the ball on The Blue's Side of the field for most of the game? To be disappointed, one must have seen this somewhere? Or is one just coming up with their own idea of disappointment with unrealistic expectations with 2 physical, aggressive, and defensive teams?

My comments were not about what team plays this style and which team is better. I was driving more to the fact that girls soccer in America can grow so much more in terms of quality of play. US Soccer has falsely believed that everything will be fine for the USWNT since we've been #1 for so long and we have a huge pool of athletic girls. But here's a good example of how countries will catch up and surpass the US:

PDA vs. FC Barcelona in the Championship Match Final 2020 Girls Soccer at IMG Academy in the Women's ICC Futures Cup

Again, I encourage people here to check out (high level) youngers boys games to see some very good soccer being put on display.

My comments were not about what team plays this style and which team is better. I was driving more to the fact that girls soccer in America can grow so much more in terms of quality of play. US Soccer has falsely believed that everything will be fine for the USWNT since we've been #1 for so long and we have a huge pool of athletic girls. But here's a good example of how countries will catch up and surpass the US:

PDA vs. FC Barcelona in the Championship Match Final 2020 Girls Soccer at IMG Academy in the Women's ICC Futures Cup

Again, I encourage people here to check out (high level) youngers boys games to see some very good soccer being put on display.

And our men's team and/or boy's youth programs are spitting out successful world cup/olympic teams in America?

I would suggest that our women's programs have had superior results compared to our mens?

The apples to apples comparison for mens vs womens would be in results vs the world imo. You can't compare boys to girls or men to women. You can compare results vs the same sex though.

The Men's U.S. Team beat Mexico by surprise to me through awesome defense far more so than possession based controlling of the ball as well. I'm holding my breath on how they go from here. I am rooting for them though!

I think it might be fair to say that some would be disappointed with how you described 2 teams that made it to the finals in a contentious soccer tournament with 16 flight 1 teams and several that flew from other states to compete. It just sounds bitter or spiteful. To win 4 games and get to the final against this many teams is a great success for any team. Winning the final is amazing and that should not be diminished unless they did not earn that win. You win the trophy by earning your victories with more goals than the other teams!

As far as your development concerns, these girls are all becoming amazing athletes and can be molded into whatever style of soccer any elite team plays with so long as they make the team in tryouts. To make elite teams, you need to be an incredible athlete as well as developing incredible technical skills. My daughter does not even know the difference between these styles and to be honest, will turn her attention away as soon as you talk too much about it. They are 10 and becoming athletes. I would not discount where these girls will go. I just hope the mens can step it up in America! LOL!

And our men's team and/or boy's youth programs are spitting out successful world cup/olympic teams in America?

I would suggest that our women's programs have had superior results compared to our mens?

The apples to apples comparison for mens vs womens would be in results vs the world imo. You can't compare boys to girls or men to women. You can compare results vs the same sex though.

The Men's U.S. Team beat Mexico by surprise to me through awesome defense far more so than possession based controlling of the ball as well. I'm holding my breath on how they go from here. I am rooting for them though!
The men are newer to soccer and there are other priority sports in the US like football, basketball and baseball. In Europe, soccer is THE sport and everything else is second if they're not good enough at soccer. Watch that video and watch boys play, especially TFA youngers. You'll see something that parents of boys encourage, be fancy with your play and learn the different skill moves because the positioning and the runs can easily be learned at a later age and most kids will be able to do it if they have a decent brain.
Girls focus too much on responsibilities and not enough individual skills and selfishness because it creates results at a younger age and parents give them positive reinforcement for it. Boys care more about whether they score or did an amazing rainbow, more than winning the game at a young age. When they get to U14, then the focus goes to positioning and winning but they've already developed very great individual skills and creative touches. The girls are playing the same way all the way until they're adults. There are a few girls who don't follow this pathway but we need more in order to create a larger pool of players to compete globally now that European leagues are taking girls development into their wings and training them with their boys. Predictability in soccer is easy to defend no matter how fast and strong you are.

The men are newer to soccer and there are other priority sports in the US like football, basketball and baseball. In Europe, soccer is THE sport and everything else is second if they're not good enough at soccer. Watch that video and watch boys play, especially TFA youngers. You'll see something that parents of boys encourage, be fancy with your play and learn the different skill moves because the positioning and the runs can easily be learned at a later age and most kids will be able to do it if they have a decent brain.
Girls focus too much on responsibilities and not enough individual skills and selfishness because it creates results at a younger age and parents give them positive reinforcement for it. Boys care more about whether they score or did an amazing rainbow, more than winning the game at a young age. When they get to U14, then the focus goes to positioning and winning but they've already developed very great individual skills and creative touches. The girls are playing the same way all the way until they're adults. There are a few girls who don't follow this pathway but we need more in order to create a larger pool of players to compete globally now that European leagues are taking girls development into their wings and training them with their boys. Predictability in soccer is easy to defend no matter how fast and strong you are.

I think you are assuming a lot here about girls, but you're entitled to your opinions. The facts are though that women had their first world cup in 1991 I think and the men nearly 100 years ago, so incorrect about mens soccer in america. True that our best male athletes play other sports and soccer may not be as high of a priority, but the bottom line is that the women's program has been far more successful than the mens. You are assuming that this will not be the case for the future and you are entitled to that opinion, but that does not change the factual present.

I think the #1 thing girls need is speed and athleticism. You can mold them to compete internationally from there with whatever necessary skills they will need. The most important thing they need to have is desire to love and play the game. At this age, they need the basics to further develop as they decide if they want to devote as much time as other countries do with soccer. Let's also not forget that women don't make a lot of money playing pro soccer and complaining is not going to put butts in the seats. People have to go and pay for those seats.

Just like the previous discussion. Men's soccer in America has far more to prove than women and I prefer for teams to show their better skills on the field before they lecture other teams how to play.

I think you are assuming a lot here about girls, but you're entitled to your opinions. The facts are though that women had their first world cup in 1991 I think and the men nearly 100 years ago, so incorrect about mens soccer in america. True that our best male athletes play other sports and soccer may not be as high of a priority, but the bottom line is that the women's program has been far more successful than the mens. You are assuming that this will not be the case for the future and you are entitled to that opinion, but that does not change the factual present.

I think the #1 thing girls need is speed and athleticism. You can mold them to compete internationally from there with whatever necessary skills they will need. The most important thing they need to have is desire to love and play the game. At this age, they need the basics to further develop as they decide if they want to devote as much time as other countries do with soccer. Let's also not forget that women don't make a lot of money playing pro soccer and complaining is not going to put butts in the seats. People have to go and pay for those seats.

Just like the previous discussion. Men's soccer in America has far more to prove than women and I prefer for teams to show their better skills on the field before they lecture other teams how to play.

The end game for most girls is most likely college anyway if they are lucky. Like I keep saying, girls and women are different than boys and men. It seems like some want their daughters to be more like their older brothers. The brother could make good money and have success in pro soccer as a career, but the daughter won't make a lot of money as of yet and would be far more successful as an engineer or doctor with the education they can gain. The daughter probably has better probability of getting advancing though as less girls play soccer compared to boys. The female pool is smaller than the mens to compete against or better put is less young girls play soccer and sports in general vs young boys, so the development gives advantages to those who start early more than for the boys. Different personalities, different opportunities, different potentials for success and prosperity with the sport, and different desires as they age especially when families get involved.

This is probably why I hear so often to not push your daughter hard, because you will burn them out or push them to injury.

I have a girl and a boy. Yes, speed and athleticism is always a major aspect of soccer, boys or girls. Some skills can't be developed at U16 and older. Athleticism and speed will be there always. Imagine athleticism and speed comes together with creativity and skills at U15? Title 9 has given us a head start with the women's soccer program but now with professional teams in Europe taking an interest in the women's game, it's going to change. It's not about being a professional athlete, it's about whether each individual family wants to produce better soccer players for high school, college or rec, the future. Or do we want to focus on helping club coaches win at the young ages. It's a choice each family should make individually.

I don't agree those are the choices. Winning teams play more games. Winning teams recruit better players. Winning teams build stronger players. Winning teams get scholarships and opportunities. Winning is a habit and just, because a team wins, in no way means it does not develop players. Most winning teams are doing both as they are bringing in the best talent at practice which puts pressure on everyone on the team to work hard and perform. I also like the life skills that come from my daughter working hard and winning. It's not just about soccer. Working hard and competing to win makes girls strong and I like that. Winning is not everything, but it's a lot funner than losing and don't forget the #1 ingredient to the success recipe. The girl has to enjoy playing! We'll see where women's soccer goes professionally. I am not convinced the money will be there anytime soon.

I don't agree those are the choices. Winning teams play more games. Winning teams recruit better players. Winning teams build stronger players. Winning teams get scholarships and opportunities. Winning is a habit and just, because a team wins, in no way means it does not develop players. Most winning teams are doing both as they are bringing in the best talent at practice which puts pressure on everyone on the team to work hard and perform. I also like the life skills that come from my daughter working hard and winning. It's not just about soccer. Working hard and competing to win makes girls strong and I like that. Winning is not everything, but it's a lot funner than losing and don't forget the #1 ingredient to the success recipe. The girl has to enjoy playing!

Aside from the slogans, what are your thoughts?

That’s false information bro. She scored by a free kick that was caused by a handball. Our player did what she had to do to jump and chest the ball but unfortunately it hit her arm. Part of the game… it’s all about developing and trusting our coach and believe me, none of our parents were upset. Extremely proud of our girls because at the end of the day we do care about developing. The last time we faced blues at Coachella they gave us a nice 0-3 score to take the final. Coach took notes and made some changes in which I think have been working on our advantage.
I apologize for my mis-statement, the goal I mentioned was from the girls final 09blues ECNL. My mistake. Hand balls happen. A good player knowing to attempt a chest block to prevent a goal is heads up and should be commended just unlucky.

This is one of the best examples of how power soccer is beaten with the Spanish style of building from the back and passing. “Death by passing” as one of the announcers says.

This is one of the best examples of how power soccer is beaten with the Spanish style of building from the back and passing. “Death by passing” as one of the announcers says.
[/QUOTE]

I like your attention to details bimmer. A coach has to use his resources to the best of his abilities with the styles he knows imo. With 10 year old girls just imagine that complexity, but I think you already do and work with them. Am I wrong?

Some people have a hard time understanding you can develop and win I guess? What's your point?

I think Surf should use their brand-name recognition to buy their way into MLS and NWSL franchises for San Diego. Then kids will want to play for a club with an American logo, not Spanish, French, or English.

I think Surf should use their brand-name recognition to buy their way into MLS and NWSL franchises for San Diego. Then kids will want to play for a club with an American logo, not Spanish, French, or English.
What are they waiting for espola?

Wow! I just found the ignore function on here. I hope you can use it to avoid reading ignoramus points of view! I'm not looking for sales or debate. I'm looking for informative points of view. A whole new world!

Wow! I just found the ignore function on here. I hope you can use it to avoid reading ignoramus points of view! I'm not looking for sales or debate. I'm looking for informative points of view. A whole new world!
My G_d, what do I gain from this conversation here? Winning is important to avoid perpetual development to nowhere!

I don't agree those are the choices. Winning teams play more games. Winning teams recruit better players. Winning teams build stronger players. Winning teams get scholarships and opportunities. Winning is a habit and just, because a team wins, in no way means it does not develop players. Most winning teams are doing both as they are bringing in the best talent at practice which puts pressure on everyone on the team to work hard and perform. I also like the life skills that come from my daughter working hard and winning. It's not just about soccer. Working hard and competing to win makes girls strong and I like that. Winning is not everything, but it's a lot funner than losing and don't forget the #1 ingredient to the success recipe. The girl has to enjoy playing! We'll see where women's soccer goes professionally. I am not convinced the money will be there anytime soon.
No one is saying not to compete. Compete hard but try to use your skills and build on them to find out what works best for you. If booting is what works best for you under pressure, you're in trouble when you go 11v11. We've all seen the story of the great athletes who won't learn how to actually use their skills under pressure and only want to use it when it's easy. So you think kids are competing when they are just banging the ball back and forth? I disagree. I think they've given up on soccer.

No one is saying not to compete. Compete hard but try to use your skills and build on them to find out what works best for you. If booting is what works best for you under pressure, you're in trouble when you go 11v11. We've all seen the story of the great athletes who won't learn how to actually use their skills under pressure and only want to use it when it's easy. So you think kids are competing when they are just banging the ball back and forth? I disagree. I think they've given up on soccer.

Sorry, but welcome to the ignore club! Switching the field to the wing and/or hitting the 9 up top is not just booting the ball. Clearing the ball out of the box is how you avoid getting scored on. Sorry, but enough with idiocy here! Go sell your boys clubs to whoever else will listen! Just do me one favor and build the men's team to the point where they can actually play in the olympics!

Back