Surf Cup Olders Poll

Would you prefer a 2-3 game showcase format for Surf Cup Olders & be willing to pay the same?

• Yes. At U15 and older, minimizing injury risk is more important to us than winning another trophy.

• No. My kid loves playing the game & the more (s)he can play, the better, even if 5 games in 3 days.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Surf schedules I looked at for olders were 3 games in 3 days through group play. 5 games in 4 days if progress through semis and into final. So the proposed showcase format is to just drop the last day, or switch it to two games in two days, is that the idea?

On the boys/young men side, the teams that are most likely to still be playing on day 4, especially in the higher brackets, are built with these kinds of tournaments in mind, with modular systems of play and the bodies stacked pretty deep to withstand the beating. If you are not a 100% grade A certified MLS academy, I think these higher profile MLS Next, ECNL, etc teams need to demonstrate tournament victories to burnish their image. With the league structure so fractured, I think what we are looking for more and more in these tournaments is to get the chance to play teams we've been wanting to play. The fewer the games the less likely that is to happen. During the spring we were able to schedule those sort of matches through friendlies but it gets harder as the schedules pick back up. With friendlies you don't get the college recruit exposure, but on the guys side I suspect a lot of that is just focused on the MLS academies anyway.

Surf schedules I looked at for olders were 3 games in 3 days through group play. 5 games in 4 days if progress through semis and into final. So the proposed showcase format is to just drop the last day, or switch it to two games in two days, is that the idea?
No, 3 games in 4 days. For example:

Day 1 - play
Day 2 - play
Day 3 - rest
Day 4 - play

After years of losing his interest in soccer in the DA format and playing showcases, my son doesn't want to play unless there is a trophy to try to win in the end. But he is just one kid and what motivates him might not be what is best for the community in general or the betterment of the sport.

After years of losing his interest in soccer in the DA format and playing showcases, my son doesn't want to play unless there is a trophy to try to win in the end. But he is just one kid and what motivates him might not be what is best for the community in general or the betterment of the sport.
The yearning for the trophy* and the medal with the blue ribbon helps overcome the exhaustion from the third game on finals Sunday.

* one of my kid's coaches had a drawing at the season-end team party to give away all the trophies they had won that year.

Thanks to everyone who voted. Interesting that it seems most of the no votes are parents of boys. Girls parents are overwhelming "yes". Maybe that has something to do with the increased risk of acl and other injuries? Suffice to say, this is a pretty good sample size, and the CLEAR majority of olders parents would prefer a showcase format AND are willing to pay the same amount.

Surf Cup...why not make the change next year?

overcome the exhaustion from the third game on finals Sunday.
except now it's not 3 games to win the final, it is 5, semis and finals played on Monday.

I keep reading how the olympic soccer schedule is "brutal", requiring the athletes to play up to 6 games in 17 days. That's one game then two days rest. If that's "brutal" then how should playing 3 games in 3 days or 5 games in 4 days be described?

Make sure your coaches know that the Surf Cup rules allow for UNLIMITED substitutions...

"SUBSTITUTIONS: Teams may substitute only with the referee's permission at any stoppage of play. Substitutions shall be unlimited."

For those of you unable to see the results of the poll:

53 votes: 70% prefer 2-3 game showcase schedule and willing to pay the same : 30% want 4-5 game tournament with a champion crowned

It really depends on the length of the game. At Albion cup 05s played 30 minutes halves. With a 16 players roster, 2 games per day are easily doable.

Winning a trophy has long ago lost its luster. If it were something meaningful such as the ECNL playoffs that is different.

That said in the showcases the DD likes to win all the games they play. Doesn't like to lose.

What is more meaningful about the ECNL playoffs than any other tournament?

My thoughts are that with 10 college coaches on the sideline today during DD's game that whether we like the format or not, it appears to work. If the goal for girls is to get into college, this tournament seems like it can help. DD's teammate had a college coach in attendance who she has been communicating with. Sounds like a success to me.
Great turnout so far for day one. Breeze picked up after the opening games and girls played well.

My thoughts are that with 10 college coaches on the sideline today during DD's game that whether we like the format or not, it appears to work. If the goal for girls is to get into college, this tournament seems like it can help. DD's teammate had a college coach in attendance who she has been communicating with. Sounds like a success to me.
Nobody is saying to stop Surf Cup. Just go back to the format they had when DA played. 3 games over 4 days, no semifinal or finals. Unnecessary and risks injuries.

I will say that our teams and other teams I briefly watched seemed to be playing full rosters. So about half-games of PT for every player. Might frustrate the "we need to win every game" parents, but it is the smart thing to do. College scouts realize that too.

Nobody is saying to stop Surf Cup. Just go back to the format they had when DA played. 3 games over 4 days, no semifinal or finals. Unnecessary and risks injuries.

I will say that our teams and other teams I briefly watched seemed to be playing full rosters. So about half-games of PT for every player. Might frustrate the "we need to win every game" parents, but it is the smart thing to do. College scouts realize that too.

Game a day, no more than 2 consecutive, day rest in between so 5 over 7 days but that more than double the costs. Only national playoffs get people to spend that much $ time for a championship.

Paying 2k for a 3 game showcase isn't nearly as popular for most players who want something to "play for".

My kids where never really fired up or cared all that much with showcases even tough they did very well at them and meet some coaches or scouts at schools they weren't interested in or knew about.

Game a day, no more than 2 consecutive, day rest in between so 5 over 7 days but that more than double the costs. Only national playoffs get people to spend that much $ time for a championship.

Paying 2k for a 3 game showcase isn't nearly as popular for most players who want something to "play for".

My kids where never really fired up or cared all that much with showcases even tough they did very well at them and meet some coaches or scouts at schools they weren't interested in or knew about.
The poll suggests otherwise. 61 votes, 65% - 35%. 3 games over the course of 4 days would be enough for everyone, including scouts.

The poll suggests otherwise. 61 votes, 65% - 35%. 3 games over the course of 4 days would be enough for everyone, including scouts.

Yes surf offers the "college" showcase events in the fall or others times for that.

Regular Surf cup is a competitive tournament if they turned that into a showcase that would be redundant. Pre-season middle of summer is not a great time for a showcase on many levels.

Summer Surf cup is a tradition and highly doubt they will scale it back to non competitive even though they could make more $$. The parents are being protective as expected, ask the players and the poll could be flipped the other way 60/40.

You're pole question is off not all that valid since olders is now game a day, 4 games over 4 and only the 5th final is a double.

Your pole question asked about 5 possible over 3 which was the old format. 5th game could be moved to Tuesday the 5th day like what usclub does so no doubles if surf heard from enough clubs that would prefer that format. They already listened and made this new format

Back