Surf Cup Girls Olders

It appears in both girls "best of the best" and "super black" are all ECNL teams in the finals expect the '06 super black flight. Does that clearly make the ECNL girls a higher league then the others? Or was it just the teams that happened to attend the tournament? My guess is this could be a similar outcome for the girls youngers this weekend.

ECNL is far and away a stronger league. I'm not sure any GA teams even got out of group stage in the top divisions, let alone made it to the Finals. GA is on par with ECRL.

ECNL is far and away a stronger league. I'm not sure any GA teams even got out of group stage in the top divisions, let alone made it to the Finals. GA is on par with ECRL.

ECNL is definitely not far and away the stronger league. Several ECNL teams were beaten by GA and other teams and ECNL beat GA and other teams. My kids GA team beat an ECNL team, an ECRL team and lost a very winnable game against another ECNL team that was not far and away better. I'll agree that the top of ECNL is better then the top of GA. But mid table and below of both leagues are comparable. I would look for the best coaching possible instead of worrying about the league.

ECNL is definitely not far and away the stronger league. Several ECNL teams were beaten by GA and other teams and ECNL beat GA and other teams. My kids GA team beat an ECNL team, an ECRL team and lost a very winnable game against another ECNL team that was not far and away better. I'll agree that the top of ECNL is better then the top of GA. But mid table and below of both leagues are comparable. I would look for the best coaching possible instead of worrying about the league.

Exactly how many teams need to win their group in the highest bracket, and in how many age groups, before you would consider ECNL to be far and away the stronger league? How many ECNL teams actually did win their group in the highest bracket at each age group btw?

It appears in both girls "best of the best" and "super black" are all ECNL teams in the finals expect the '06 super black flight. Does that clearly make the ECNL girls a higher league then the others? Or was it just the teams that happened to attend the tournament? My guess is this could be a similar outcome for the girls youngers this weekend.
The top of the the ECNL teams are the best, without a doubt, but in So Cal that difference is much more dramatic than it is nationally. But if you look at Surf Cup only, there is often just 1, and maybe 2 GA teams in a bracket with 16 teams. Even if all teams were exactly equal, you'd only expect very few GA teams to end up in the finals.

It would be wonderful to see the top GA teams (Colorado Rush, Houston Dash, Michigan Nationals and the like) playing the top ECNL teams more often, but the different platforms like to keep them separate, it seems.

To be sure, you'd have to see whether the top GA teams were signed up for Surf Cup - if you've got the time to check. But until GA strengthens its ranks in the Southwest, there's not much argument ECNL has the stronger teams at the top of the standings for sure.

Once you get to the middle and bottom of the ECNL teams, it's less clear, though MANY people have STRONG opinions on it!

The top of the the ECNL teams are the best, without a doubt, but in So Cal that difference is much more dramatic than it is nationally. But if you look at Surf Cup only, there is often just 1, and maybe 2 GA teams in a bracket with 16 teams. Even if all teams were exactly equal, you'd only expect very few GA teams to end up in the finals.

It would be wonderful to see the top GA teams (Colorado Rush, Houston Dash, Michigan Nationals and the like) playing the top ECNL teams more often, but the different platforms like to keep them separate, it seems.

To be sure, you'd have to see whether the top GA teams were signed up for Surf Cup - if you've got the time to check. But until GA strengthens its ranks in the Southwest, there's not much argument ECNL has the stronger teams at the top of the standings for sure.

Once you get to the middle and bottom of the ECNL teams, it's less clear, though MANY people have STRONG opinions on it!
Not to rain on anyone's parade but how long do you think it will take before a midrange ECNL club chooses GA so they can run the league + rack up wins + have access to MLS Next.

It might not happen today or tomorrow but eventually someone will make the move.

Not to rain on anyone's parade but how long do you think it will take before a midrange ECNL club chooses GA so they can run the league + rack up wins + have access to MLS Next.

It might not happen today or tomorrow but eventually someone will make the move.

If the rumors are true that girls soccer parents are youth soccer's cash cow, then I'd say not any time soon. If the situation changed to where youth clubs got solidarity payments from their boys players then I think it'd be more likely.

If the rumors are true that girls soccer parents are youth soccer's cash cow, then I'd say not any time soon. If the situation changed to where youth clubs got solidarity payments from their boys players then I think it'd be more likely.
Why only for Boys?

06 GA definitely did not fare well. Or ECRL.
Top of the GA nationally is still very high quality. Albion, fresh off their 06 GA national championship played top flight at Surf Cup and tied all three games against very good ECNL opponents (MVLA, Slammers and LAFC). All 3 of their opponents made Champions League playoffs in ECNL this year, with the Slammers team making round of 16. And that Slammers team that they tied this weekend went on to beat SD Surf ECNL in the Surf Cup Semifinals today (and yes, SD Surf had their YNT players).

Top of the GA nationally is still very high quality. Albion, fresh off their 06 GA national championship played top flight at Surf Cup and tied all three games against very good ECNL opponents (MVLA, Slammers and LAFC). All 3 of their opponents made Champions League playoffs in ECNL this year, with the Slammers team making round of 16. And that Slammers team that they tied this weekend went on to beat SD Surf ECNL in the Surf Cup Semifinals today (and yes, SD Surf had their YNT players).
Anyone else or just that one team? (and good on them for a solid performance!)

Exactly how many teams need to win their group in the highest bracket, and in how many age groups, before you would consider ECNL to be far and away the stronger league? How many ECNL teams actually did win their group in the highest bracket at each age group btw?
The poster said he/she agrees the top of the ECNL is better than the top of the GA

.... and Albion G06 did not have two of their YNT players for Surf Cup

Michigan Hawks and Nationals (to both of their credits) set up matches between all of their top teams earlier this year and Hawks won at every age group. Both clubs are doing it again and over Labor Day and Hawks (per their Twitter account) have invited Michigan Jaguars do to the same.

Where I am in the Boston area, the GA & ECNL teams won’t even play in each other’s tournaments for the most part.

Well, only one GA team was in the top bracket for girls U19 (City SC)…and they had a rough weekend. U19 final (Koge/MVLA) had (3) U17 national team players on the field

It's starting to get that way in Socal as well.
Plenty of tournaments in Socal. Lots of GA teams playing in Surf Cup. Lots of ECNL teams playing in Albion Cup. Not sure what you're referring to.
Socal seems to be an anomaly for GA, few teams and weak ones at that. Elsewhere in the country its more even relative to ECNL, if not slightly tilted to GA. Will be very tough for GA to make up ground in Socal as long as Surf, Blues and Slammers are in ECNL. The top players will always migrate to those clubs in order to compete against other top players.

Back