Surf Cup - Get Your Refund Now

New California Youth Sport guidance is giving those of you who made a bad choice up until now a second (actually third) bite at the apple to get your $$ back. It's only going to get worse by 12/27 and New Year's Day in AZ. But you won't hear that from Surf--they are Big Tobacco. We elder parents with multiple kids through the system keep trying to provide good advice (as does the medical community; f the politicians btw). Seriously though, just pull the ripcord on this one, get your money back and look for another tourney to play in March/April. Or, save the money and buy a bigger TV from Best Buy to watch the second half of EPL.

What is with all of this juvenile attacks? I cannot believe an adult wrote that. Surf has been beyond generous in offering refunds. They have every right to run their business. It is not a bad choice to allow your kids to play a sport in a safe outdoor environment. Geez. Grow up.

What is with all of this juvenile attacks? I cannot believe an adult wrote that. Surf has been beyond generous in offering refunds. They have every right to run their business. It is not a bad choice to allow your kids to play a sport in a safe outdoor environment. Geez. Grow up.
Not sure I've read two lines on this website that are so personally revealing?

"Grow up" = that's your reply? Ok Mom. Sorry you are triggered by a couple softly written barbs that don't reference you specifically (or anyone)--likely you need to look inward on that.

"beyond generous" = most would disagree that a 4-day refund window after a city yanked their fields with no sharing of info re competition or new playing location in the middle of a daily changing pandemic is generous, let alone "beyond" generous. I am happy to see that Surf now has the following language on their website. (They should email everyone to ensure it is known by all.):

if a governmental order...prevents your team from traveling to the event, you will receive a full refund minus any credit card processing transaction fee

"right to run their business" - rights can differ from right. Big Tobacco has the right to sell cancer sticks. Doesn't mean it's right. You make the connection.

"safe outdoor environment" - so i assume you are flying to AZ on NetJets and camping in the desert or driving your own RV and bringing groceries, all the while self-isolating for 4 days? If so, then I concede this point despite the mandatory travel ban which some CA residents feel obligated to follow as honorable citizens who believe in collective good when it comes to health and safety.

May I be excused?

If I lived in AZ, I’d be mad at anyone trying to run a convention right now, too.

Nothing to do with whether they are running a business. It‘s just not the time to bring 60,000 people together.

Anyone know which southern CA clubs are committed to play in Surf Cup (olders). Heard from a parent who's DD plays for Blues that they backed out due to a lack of competition. Today's the deadline to register and our club is considering it....

If I lived in AZ, I’d be mad at anyone trying to run a convention right now, too.

Nothing to do with whether they are running a business. It‘s just not the time to bring 60,000 people together.

Surf is the only organization that I know of that is trying to do anything big in the greater phoenix area. Many outside entities have postponed, cancelled, etc. I won't list them, those that want know can use the google.

It's bad timing. It was a great idea in AUG but the environment has changed. They have the right but doesn't mean it's right.

Well, I won't list the clubs that have backed out either....but, through the course of a few phone calls and texts, let's just say that several (at least 3) of the So Cal clubs listed on the Surf Cup website as attending....have backed out. No doubt Surf is scrambling for teams. Timing is horrendous. As is true for most, I want my kid to play....but it needs to be worthwhile. Club soccer is expensive enough.

Well, I won't list the clubs that have backed out either....but, through the course of a few phone calls and texts, let's just say that several (at least 3) of the So Cal clubs listed on the Surf Cup website as attending....have backed out. No doubt Surf is scrambling for teams. Timing is horrendous. As is true for most, I want my kid to play....but it needs to be worthwhile. Club soccer is expensive enough.
I asked my dd an honest Q last night. Only truth can be spoken I told her. No this or that or eyes shifting away. I asked, "if all the top teams from CA, WA, OR, TX, NV, AZ, CO, WY, ID, NM and the true "best of the best" were balling , would you ball?" She said 100% she would have Bday party the week after. However, with all the top teams from Nocal and Socal skipping ((minus the Blues)), it's not worth it. I want Surf Cup to happen with the top top best best teams. That's us in a nut shell. That's why I got all mad when the first year of the GDA had no playoffs for the 04s and they were going to forbid HS Soccer for public school kids and split socal into two competing leagues.

Betting pool is now open for the first person to take this thread back into the "covid isn't so bad" territory... over/under is page 2.5.

Still no schedules posted, enjoy your holiday break everyone!

Anyone know which southern CA clubs are committed to play in Surf Cup (olders). Heard from a parent who's DD plays for Blues that they backed out due to a lack of competition. Today's the deadline to register and our club is considering it....
different age groups at various clubs are sending teams. So if Beach decided their 04 was out their 05 may say they are in.

different age groups at various clubs are sending teams. So if Beach decided their 04 was out their 05 may say they are in.
I know that this Surf thing is hitting a fever pitch and the horse is being beat...but...isn't it crazy that we are having a discussion on what clubs are sending what teams to Surf? It's even more crazy that top clubs aren't even going, who cares about the reason.

I just spoke to a friend of younger and they are making the trip. I had the choice before me in my little brain???????? Do I rain on my friends joy and excitement for Surf Cup in AZ and piss on his parade and make his drive that much worse? Or do I pump him up and make it sound like the best of the best will be playing? Think about that? We all have that choice, dont we? Dad? Happy, be honest? I told him it's the dam best tournament out there and over 450 of some of the best talent in the country will play. I told him my dd is threepeat surf cup champ, five time finalist and two time Thanksgiving Cup Champ and Man City champ. Bring home the gold I told him and nothing short of making it to the finals is good. His dd is all excited so go have fun and let the kids play.

I just spoke to a friend of younger and they are making the trip. I had the choice before me in my little brain???????? Do I rain on my friends joy and excitement for Surf Cup in AZ and piss on his parade and make his drive that much worse? Or do I pump him up and make it sound like the best of the best will be playing? Think about that? We all have that choice, dont we? Dad? Happy, be honest? I told him it's the dam best tournament out there and over 450 of some of the best talent in the country will play. I told him my dd is threepeat surf cup champ, five time finalist and two time Thanksgiving Cup Champ and Man City champ. Bring home the gold I told him and nothing short of making it to the finals is good. His dd is all excited so go have fun and let the kids play.
My thoughts? You told a polite lie. Surf AZ is not Surf. But plan on some good local games in April.

I'd like a study on that please....by Fauci if at all possible. :D:p:D

You see @soccersc, even the wanna be con law scholar @Grace T., who claims to be a zealous but neutral advocate for keeping politics out of a youth soccer website, has no real intention of doing that. She just likes a fact free zone that includes only her fellow Qanons. I have no idea why they want to bring it to youth soccer, but I’m game if that’s how they want to play it.

Back