Surf Cup - Best of the Best ECNL vs DA

"The Developmental Player League (DPL)was initially created through collaboration between the Southwest Division
Girls DA clubs."

Let me interpret this. Surf created the DPL with some help from Legends and Beach so they can keep as many customers at their clubs and not go to ECNL. Many girls have dreams of playing at the highest level in youth soccer. This is a pure trap. I can hear the coaches saying with their English accent, "you know Mrs Jones, your little Sally has some tremendous abilities. With some great coaching from me I think I can have little Sally up with the DA team next season. Don't go play ECNL. This also allows for your little one to also play HS. We try and offer a little bit of everything here."

"The focus was to expand the player pool for the DA and align with some of the core US Soccer
Initiatives."
Find a clever way to knock ECNL out with a side punch. All you need to do is #allowHSsoccer and it's all over.

"Through the success of the program the DPL has expanded into key markets for the 2019/20 Season"
What's up with "key markets?" How are they measuring success? If your not lying, your not trying. Liar, liar pants on fire.....

"The Developmental Player League (DPL)was initially created through collaboration between the Southwest Division
Girls DA clubs."

Let me interpret this. Surf created the DPL with some help from Legends and Beach so they can keep as many customers at their clubs and not go to ECNL. Many girls have dreams of playing at the highest level in youth soccer. This is a pure trap. I can hear the coaches saying with their English accent, "you know Mrs Jones, your little Sally has some tremendous abilities. With some great coaching from me I think I can have little Sally up with the DA team next season. Don't go play ECNL. This also allows for your little one to also play HS. We try and offer a little bit of everything here."

Don’t know who created DPL, but it was not Surf. Surf in the 1st year of DA/DPL had DA and ECNL and didn’t have any teams in DPL. Surf went to DPL last year when they lost ECNL for their second teams.

In your experience, do you think its odd that US Soccer picked 12- 05s out of 48 spots in the 04's first year of eligibility for u14? Is that normal in past selections for that many "youngers" getting the early call up? Making that list gets you a meeting with the DM at a big time University. Freaking UCLA and Stanford is ROME to many as is some other gr8t schools. This was right when DA was starting and the new rules were coming. Just curious on your thoughts.
There are so many opportunities for good programs at the college level, both in terms of academics, coaching, and competitiveness. I would encourage you to expand your horizons and keep an open mind and not worry so much about DA and YNT. As MAP has stated before, the YNT doesn't frequently lead to anything other than some fun experiences during high school. What matters is where you end up not what call ups you got when you were 14 yo.

Maybe it was all three, maybe Legends and Beach made a call to Surf. Surf offered my kid ECNL 04' as an alternative so she could play HS Soccer. Imagine if we took them up on it. I don't see ECNL there now do you? My kid was a very important piece to that team and she was forced out because she didn't attend private school. I'm sure they could have used her this year. My dd misses playing with her old friends all the time. My dd took a stand for what SHE believed in. She's a leader. She was the first one to bolt to Surf from Blues. A few teammates followed and low and behold, 11th National Championship. Her coach at the time parlayed a nice deal to Indiana Fire and my kid for all she did was kicked out because of an unfair rule that allows Private School kids a waiver. Some of us can't afford that. This had a direct impact on her.

Perhaps some insight?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-03-15 at 6.08.40 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-03-15 at 6.08.40 PM.png
    204.8 KB · Views: 132
  • Screen Shot 2017-04-07 at 1.05.30 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-04-07 at 1.05.30 PM.png
    254.2 KB · Views: 124
Last edited:
Maybe it was all three, maybe Legends and Beach made a call to Surf. Surf offered my kid ECNL 04' as an alternative so she could play HS Soccer. Imagine if we took them up on it. I don't see ECNL there now do you? My kid was a very important piece to that team and she was forced out because she didn't attend private school. I'm sure they could have used her this year. My dd misses playing with her old friends all the time. My dd took a stand for what SHE believed in. She's a leader. She was the first one to bolt to Surf from Blues. A few teammates followed and low and behold, 11th National Championship. Her coach at the time parlayed a nice deal to Indiana Fire and my kid for all she did was kicked out because of an unfair rule that allows Private School kids a waiver. Some of us can't afford that. This had a direct impact on her.

That sucks. As the poet Method Man once said, “Cash Rules Everything Around Me, CREAM, Dolla, Dolla Bill yall!”

Girls DA clubs."

Let me interpret this. Surf created the DPL with some help from Legends and Beach so they can keep as many customers at their clubs and not go to ECNL.

Accept Surf was still ECNL when DPL was formed and do not participate in DPL. Was more like Albion, Galaxy SD, Beach and Legends.

Accept Surf was still ECNL when DPL was formed and do not participate in DPL. Was more like Albion, Galaxy SD, Beach and Legends.
I was told from everyone who is anyone at Surf that it would be DA or ECNL, no ifs and or butts. Once that 5 year contract was finalized it was all over. That's why I said no to their ECNL offer. Lot's of 03s had to find other teams, remember? Somehow this DPL League came out of no where. Legends got poached a little but also kept girls from leaving with the new DPL. I watched it all unfold before my very eyes at Surf. I could see right through that. I see all the moves they have made and I find it hard they weren't helping out maybe with a little biz advice. This is all marketing. Capitalism at it's finest :) Also, US Soccer is behind this league too.

I was told from everyone who is anyone at Surf that it would be DA or ECNL, no ifs and or butts. Once that 5 year contract was finalized it was all over. That's why I said no to their ECNL offer. Lot's of 03s had to find other teams, remember? Somehow this DPL League came out of no where. Legends got poached a little but also kept girls from leaving with the new DPL. I watched it all unfold before my very eyes at Surf. I could see right through that. I see all the moves they have made and I find it hard they weren't helping out maybe with a little biz advice. This is all marketing. Capitalism at it's finest :) Also, US Soccer is behind this league too.
It is? Thought that was the whole issue the “anti” crowd was pushing, that it wasn’t sanctioned by US Soccer.

Remember our conversation at the pitch back when my dd took a side tour back to Legends when the first age groups of DA had 03/04 combo. I think I was drinking some strong Koolaide. I got sold for sure. Surf said no one is allowed to play up and they were selling me hard for 04' ECNL? I told them my dd has a goal to reach. JH reached out and we jumped ship. A month later DA went 03 and 04'. My dd saw an opening and let me have it and told me how much she missed her teammates at Surf (worse decision I ever made and my dd still lets me know how wrong it was and it was). We went back and all torn out great for everyone.
It is? Thought that was the whole issue the “anti” crowd was pushing, that it wasn’t sanctioned by US Soccer.
Sanctioned, no. Why? Because they would look a little hypercritical allowing HS Soccer. Let's just say they support DPL more than ECNL.

I thought the recruiting rules recently changed, and they couldn’t commit until they were a junior or something??

There were some 2023 commits prior to the rule change; just not many. And not THIS particular situation. UCLA has some commits from the 2022 class but I think they're all YNT names. Apparently this mom or dad is breaking new ground. You just commit wherever you want to go and let the coach figure it out when you show up.

Ellejustus, You okay? Keeperpops has you on his watch list and I can buy you a beer or two if you need it. I was at West Coast this weekend and had a good time between games at Left Coast Brewery a few minutes from OCGP. Good bbq to go with the suds.

I know your dd has had a crazy ride but at the same time she has played with and against a lot of great players/teams. That is valuable experience for her moving forward where she can fit in on any team and any system as well as adjusting to any coaching style. Be thankful that when she shows up to a new training session they ask her what her jersey size is. Out of all the lessons my dd has learned from club soccer is to keep working, never quit, and keep having fun along the way.

I was at West Coast this weekend and had a good time between games at Left Coast Brewery a few minutes from OCGP. Good bbq to go with the suds.

Sparky!! We were out there too. 3rd year in a row guesting for West Coast..3rd year in a row helping a team get to the semi-finals..3rd year in a row it ended there. :mad:
I told my kid your team was out there playing so she said she wanted to wait around a minute to say hi to your coach after your game on Sunday. Never heard of Left Coast Brewery but I looked it up after seeing your post. My kids know I'm always down to eat some good Q!! I'll have to try that place out next time we are out there.

Ellejustus, You okay? Keeperpops has you on his watch list and I can buy you a beer or two if you need it. I was at West Coast this weekend and had a good time between games at Left Coast Brewery a few minutes from OCGP. Good bbq to go with the suds.

I know your dd has had a crazy ride but at the same time she has played with and against a lot of great players/teams. That is valuable experience for her moving forward where she can fit in on any team and any system as well as adjusting to any coaching style. Be thankful that when she shows up to a new training session they ask her what her jersey size is. Out of all the lessons my dd has learned from club soccer is to keep working, never quit, and keep having fun along the way.
How good is the BbQ there? I ended up at first class pizza they have a good beer to have tselection.Going to hit up left coast during practice now that I know it's right there thanks for sharing that haha

How good is the BbQ there? I ended up at first class pizza they have a good beer to have tselection.Going to hit up left coast during practice now that I know it's right there thanks for sharing that haha

Website pics look pretty good. And the menu shows some really good options. And it was right around the corner from where we played.
Missed it..:(
Saturday morning we ate at Bruxie. That was new for us. Everyone like that too.

I had the mac n cheese with bacon and brisket on top. It was better than I thought it would be. Place was packed by 1130 on sunday.

I guess if a thread is going to go off the rails of the original topic, food and beer is a good option.

Back on topic of ECNL and DA but rolling with West Coast Classic lots of DA, DPL (pre DA), ECNL matchups in the semis 07 through 04. Mostly the same clubs but decent Sunday matchups of the teams that got to play 4 to 5 games in 2 days.

I had the mac n cheese with bacon and brisket on top. It was better than I thought it would be. Place was packed by 1130 on sunday.

I guess if a thread is going to go off the rails of the original topic, food and beer is a good option.
Good hearing from you Sparky! Stay thirsty my friend!

Back