Surf Cup 2019

I called it yesterday....Solar Angelone to the finals...beat the #1 Slammers team....NTX soccer representing well

Upset, according to whom?

Me and anyone outside of North Texas. The third ranked team from North Texas should not be able to come onto SoCal turf and beat the #1 ranked team.

Either SoCal is even more over-rated than I thought or North Texas is more under-rated than I thought.

Last edited:
Me and anyone outside of North Texas. The third ranked team from North Texas should not be able to come onto to SoCal turf and beat the #1 ranked team.

Either SoCal is even more over-rated than I thought or North Texas is more under-rated than I thought.

Or maybe it is just one game, with the significance of just one game.

Me and anyone outside of North Texas. The third ranked team from North Texas should not be able to come onto to SoCal turf and beat the #1 ranked team.

Right on, good luck to both teams in the finals!

Or maybe it is just one game, with the significance of just one game.

Clueless parents commenting on the forum; PA has had a target on their back for 2 years since they been top. They get everyone’s A game; had at least 200 plus people attend their games. Anyone see the game who commented? Game was 0/0 and PA had much better ability. Texas parents were low level.

PA has not been top for 2 years, Cruz held that for quite some time. As far as getting everyone's best game when you are on top I agree with that statement. Just goes to show how difficult it is to stay on top.

PA has not been top for 2 years, Cruz held that for quite some time. As far as getting everyone's best game when you are on top I agree with that statement. Just goes to show how difficult it is to stay on top.
Definitely been one of the ones for two plus years. No idea what ur speaking of. Marspeed is an angry bitter person who hides behind post. FYI, Don’t listen to a moron like him...

I took a look at the YSR rankings today and compared them with the Surf Cup pool-play results for the highest 16-team G2009 bracket. The expected bracket results (1st-4th) based on the YSR rankings proved correct for 14 of the 16 teams. Nearly every team finished where it was expected. True, nobody knows which teams brought ringers, and which teams were missing players, but overall, I am impressed with YSR’s accuracy.

If I recall, MarSpeed’s original objection (described in a different thread), was based on his belief that there is no way that YSR should rank 32 of Calsouth’s teams in the top 100. Based on how well YSR tracked this tournament, I would say that its rankings of the top 100 are likely also accurate. I would go farther than that. Based on intuition and having seen so many teams play over the years, I believe the number of Calsouth teams is probably closer to 50 out of the top 100.

My grid is below. Sorry for the wonky formatting.

YSR
Rank Team Surf Bracket Projected finish Actual Finish
1 Slammers - Aguirre (Cal South) B 1st 1st
3 Slammers - Cruz (Cal South) D 1st 1st
6 Players Elite (Nevada) B 2nd 2nd
5 Blues - Mulligan (Cal South) A 1st 1st
8 Legends FC (Cal South) A 2nd 2nd
13 Blues Navy (Cal North) B 3rd 3rd
21 Solar Angelone (Texas) C 1st 1st
24 FC Sporting Pumas (Cal North) D 2nd 4th
28 Blues - Vaught (Cal South)
29 Slammers - TD (Cal South) C 2nd 2nd
30 Liverpool (Cal South)
33 Seattle United Copa (WA) D 3rd 2nd
34 San Diego Force - Allnut (Cal South)
41 Dallas Texans (Texas) A 3rd 3rd
44 LA Galaxy San Diego (Cal South)
50 Beach - Perez (Cal South) C 3rd 3rd
53 OC Surf Pre-Acad. Hernandez (Cal South)
54 IR Academy Purple (Cal North) C 4th 4th
55 Albion - Whitaker (Cal South)
58 LA Galaxy South Bay (Cal South) B 4th 4th
101 SD Surf Academy Select (Cal South) D 4th 3rd
161 Santa Barbara Elite (Cal South) A 4th 4th

Solar Angelone Champion of Surf Cup Best of the Best 1-0 over Slammers Cruz...Congratulations Solar...North Texas won both Supercopa (Defeeters-Solar South Co -champions) and now Solar Angelone winning Surf Cup....Guess this says it all....

I took a look at the YSR rankings today and compared them with the Surf Cup pool-play results for the highest 16-team G2009 bracket. The expected bracket results (1st-4th) based on the YSR rankings proved correct for 14 of the 16 teams. Nearly every team finished where it was expected. True, nobody knows which teams brought ringers, and which teams were missing players, but overall, I am impressed with YSR’s accuracy.

If I recall, MarSpeed’s original objection (described in a different thread), was based on his belief that there is no way that YSR should rank 32 of Calsouth’s teams in the top 100. Based on how well YSR tracked this tournament, I would say that its rankings of the top 100 are likely also accurate. I would go farther than that. Based on intuition and having seen so many teams play over the years, I believe the number of Calsouth teams is probably closer to 50 out of the top 100.

My grid is below. Sorry for the wonky formatting.

YSR
Rank Team Surf Bracket Projected finish Actual Finish
1 Slammers - Aguirre (Cal South) B 1st 1st
3 Slammers - Cruz (Cal South) D 1st 1st
6 Players Elite (Nevada) B 2nd 2nd
5 Blues - Mulligan (Cal South) A 1st 1st
8 Legends FC (Cal South) A 2nd 2nd
13 Blues Navy (Cal North) B 3rd 3rd
21 Solar Angelone (Texas) C 1st 1st
24 FC Sporting Pumas (Cal North) D 2nd 4th
28 Blues - Vaught (Cal South)
29 Slammers - TD (Cal South) C 2nd 2nd
30 Liverpool (Cal South)
33 Seattle United Copa (WA) D 3rd 2nd
34 San Diego Force - Allnut (Cal South)
41 Dallas Texans (Texas) A 3rd 3rd
44 LA Galaxy San Diego (Cal South)
50 Beach - Perez (Cal South) C 3rd 3rd
53 OC Surf Pre-Acad. Hernandez (Cal South)
54 IR Academy Purple (Cal North) C 4th 4th
55 Albion - Whitaker (Cal South)
58 LA Galaxy South Bay (Cal South) B 4th 4th
101 SD Surf Academy Select (Cal South) D 4th 3rd
161 Santa Barbara Elite (Cal South) A 4th 4th

So I am guessing now that #21 from Texas just won back to back against the top SoCal teams that would make 75 of the top 100 from North Texas and 25 from SoCal and everyone else in the country is just bad. Looks like I am going to have to explain how the algorithm works again...

In reality though, SoCal and North Texas are without doubt a step above in the number of quantity of good teams. I’ve said that all along. Where I differentiate is that SoCal are saturated too high. This happens at the start of the Algorithm which is controlled and can be changed at any point by the owner of YSR. It is also a fact.

So I am guessing now that #21 from Texas just won back to back against the top SoCal teams that would make 75 of the top 100 from North Texas and 25 from SoCal and everyone else in the country is just bad. Looks like I am going to have to explain how the algorithm works again...

In reality though, SoCal and North Texas are without doubt a step above in the number of quantity of good teams. I’ve said that all along. Where I differentiate is that SoCal are saturated too high. This happens at the start of the Algorithm which is controlled and can be changed at any point by the owner of YSR. It is also a fact.
Except for a Transitive Properties don’t work in Sports...only Math!

Congrats Solar!

Keep trolling....you’ll always find someone to take the bait....until you don't.

Except for a Transitive Properties don’t work in Sports...only Math!

Congrats Solar!

Keep trolling....you’ll always find someone to take the bait....until you don't.
If I’m correct YSR just started following these teams last season and each year the great magnet clubs recruit more and get better. These tourneys are a tough way to judge teams IF they are using guest players. Some teams load up on guest players just to win a tourney, but does that make the team good? Congratulations Solar, they are a great club and they will get better each year as they have a wide area to recruit, just like the So Cal Blues & Surf etc.

Solar Angelone used ZERO guest players.....I know for fact..
Clueless parents commenting on the forum; PA has had a target on their back for 2 years since they been top. They get everyone’s A game; had at least 200 plus people attend their games. Anyone see the game who commented? Game was 0/0 and PA had much better ability. Texas parents were low level.
Sounds like somebody is butthurt....LOL....

How many age groups did TX win?
I am curious what you are implying with this comment. Is it that your 2009 age bracket is weaker than the rest of the Cali groups or that the NTX 2009 group is noticeably stronger than other NTX age groups. Either way, we will consider it a compliment.

I am curious what you are implying with this comment. Is it that your 2009 age bracket is weaker than the rest of the Cali groups or that the NTX 2009 group is noticeably stronger than other NTX age groups. Either way, we will consider it a compliment.
And to answer your question, 2.
U08 - CAS
U09 - NTX
U10 - CAN
U11 - NTX
U12 - CO
U13 - CAS
U14 - CAS

A couple things about this garbage that seems to fill this forum a lot of the time.

First, why the hell are you NTX folks going out of your way to sign up for a forum that isn’t even in your area. I’ll give you the fact it does have some decent info, but it seems you come out of the woodwork when you happen to win. There is obviously one team that is the target - that is the D’Feeter team. What I admire about them from afar is I don’t think any of their parents have been on here boasting about rankings, or winning a game. If anyone has that right to do that it would be them. Maybe you should concentrate on trying to beat them, since I hear no one has in NTX.

Lastly, as for the stupid rankings and whether SoCal has too big of a representation in the top 100. I’ve lived in both markets and will say, the best teams in each area are evenly matched, but SoCal has more depth. SoCal should have more depth because of the size of the market compared to DFW.

Congrats to Solar. Congrats to all the teams for a great year. Wish everyone the best of luck this upcoming season. Enjoy it while it lasts.

Back