Strikers ECNL rumors

And don't believe everything you hear from parents. Trust me, lots of parents are all to happy to let you believe their kid got a full ride when all they really got was a partial scholarship, or even walked on with the promise of a scholarship in future years. So much misinformation out there, and interests of the powerful who profit from it, are perfectly aligned with those enormous parental egos.
100%! Makes me think of an acquaintance whose daughter was playing volleyball at an Ivy League school. Mom told us all that, "My daughter has a scholarship to play volleyball at Columbia." Daughter had a one time $500 scholarship from a local women's group for her community service. Lovely accomplishment. Not an athletic scholarship.

100%! Makes me think of an acquaintance whose daughter was playing volleyball at an Ivy League school. Mom told us all that, "My daughter has a scholarship to play volleyball at Columbia." Daughter had a one time $500 scholarship from a local women's group for her community service. Lovely accomplishment. Not an athletic scholarship.
Ivy League schools are not allowed to offer athletic scholarships. I wonder if anyone told this mom that!

Ivy League schools are not allowed to offer athletic scholarships. I wonder if anyone told this mom that!
I bet her friends have no clue, only we would know that. This is the juice that parents thrive on. They want everyone to know how great of parents they are and how great their kids are. "Scholarship" sales big time in sports.

True, but -- there are ways. One of the good measurres of an Ivy League school (and schools that wish to be thought of as "ivys") is that if you can get in, you can afford it. Now if tall blonde Betty happens to be such a good volleyball player that the volleyball coach will put her on his list of sidedoor entries, the parents can certainly feel that the money they invested in Betty's volleyball development is paid back by the discount they got from the full price, perhaps based on the fact that they have no savings left after financing Betty's training.

The Varsity Blues scandal of the last few years was a different side of the coin. Parents who could easily afford to pay the full retail price of any school, Ivy or not, had enough money to pry open that side door despite a lack of athletic talent.

And then there is the old legend of Ned Harkness in his days as Cornell ice hockey coach. He took advantage of the fact that Cornell housed the NY State Agriculture College in a cooperative agreement with the Regents of the University of New York, which resulted in one of the best veterinary medicine schools in the country. The ag school students overlapped with the mainline Cornell students in housing, many of the classes, and all student social activities, including athletic teams playing under the Cornell banner. While Cornell itself gave out no athletic scholarships, the Ag College was not so constrained, so a lot of Canadian farmboys brought their hockey skates south to study animal husbandry. Savvy fans at rival schools carried cowbells to games when Cornell visited.

True, but -- there are ways. One of the good measurres of an Ivy League school (and schools that wish to be thought of as "ivys") is that if you can get in, you can afford it. Now if tall blonde Betty happens to be such a good volleyball player that the volleyball coach will put her on his list of sidedoor entries, the parents can certainly feel that the money they invested in Betty's volleyball development is paid back by the discount they got from the full price, perhaps based on the fact that they have no savings left after financing Betty's training.

The Varsity Blues scandal of the last few years was a different side of the coin. Parents who could easily afford to pay the full retail price of any school, Ivy or not, had enough money to pry open that side door despite a lack of athletic talent.

And then there is the old legend of Ned Harkness in his days as Cornell ice hockey coach. He took advantage of the fact that Cornell housed the NY State Agriculture College in a cooperative agreement with the Regents of the University of New York, which resulted in one of the best veterinary medicine schools in the country. The ag school students overlapped with the mainline Cornell students in housing, many of the classes, and all student social activities, including athletic teams playing under the Cornell banner. While Cornell itself gave out no athletic scholarships, the Ag College was not so constrained, so a lot of Canadian farmboys brought their hockey skates south to study animal husbandry. Savvy fans at rival schools carried cowbells to games when Cornell visited.
I heard some parents were paying above the asking price for tuition to get their kid on the team and in the school. Some of these coaches know exactly what some parents will give up to get Bette in the school, on the team, priority for classes, nice dorm room and all the nice things money can buy :) BTW, my buddy sold his condo and got 15% over asking price so it;s not unheard of.

Last edited:

Neighbor's son played for Seattle Sounders Academy as a starting goalie. He selected Harvard U mostly for the academics (family has money). They got zero athletic scholarship. Kid quit in his sophmore year due to changing his focus on academics.

That's like saying you beat Qatar in the first round of the World Cup so you're heading to the finals. Let's see how they do this weekend against Blues.
Most of the girls at DMCV who had talent and commitment left for Surf, Albion, SDSC Surf and City. They brought in warm bodies, it's going to be another tough ECNL and ECRL season. Fields and coaching just aren't at the same level as all the clubs mentioned above.
Oh, I agree 100%. It was a good weekend for them but like I said, most of the Breaker teams they faced are at the bottom but you gotta take the wins when you can. There's a lot of tough, well-rounded teams out there. SD Surf is the OG down there. My daughter's team just played Sporting San Diego 05 and they're pretty solid also. They're heading to Colorado with us for Nationals in July.

Exactly. That kind of puffery is epidemic in these circles of grandstanding parents. Not to mention I'm pretty sure Columbia and other Ivys don't give athletic scholarships in the first place!

What i am saying is Pats ECRL teams have been a lot better since the break. Not sure if they got new players, coach told them they are getting ECNL or what but there is a real uptick in how they are doing in the league. Likely a combination of those things.

When are ECNL/RL tryouts in CA?
Anytime after May 1st. Nothing has been announced as far as I am aware. From all the movement that I am hearing about, all teams will have their hands full with decisions after May 1st.

Neighbor's son played for Seattle Sounders Academy as a starting goalie. He selected Harvard U mostly for the academics (family has money). They got zero athletic scholarship. Kid quit in his sophmore year due to changing his focus on academics.
This was common when I was in school. Kids got in because of sports, but then lost interest (or maybe never had that level of interest in the first place). I suspect it's even more common at Ivy-League schools because there's no scholarship to "throw away".

Where does elite 64 fall in line with the rest of the leagues? Will this be a good option with clubs without ecnl?

That would be a mistake. Pats boys have been strong in the past. MLS Next is a must if you want to go the pro level for boys.
Strikers should join DA and give more life to their league. ECNL will still be better but ultimately all it matters is to get a showcase for these young girls going to college. It sucks that kids and parents got screwed thanks to ECNL execs. Very shameful. They should have allowed a retirement of the youngers and allow the older teams to stay in ECNL until they graduate.
This is a boys comment

why is MLS Next a must to become a pro? I can’t imagine a pro team saying Sorry your the best player in your age but you didn’t play MLS Next so tough luck. Galaxy and LAFC academies are the only ones that have a direct link and don’t think they are not looking at ECNL players for their academies.

Pats have done very well in ECNL. Strikers not so much. The completion in MLS next in inferior to ECNL. Look at Surf Cup super group results.

why leave- Pats and Strikers coaches want to play Galaxy and LAFC. It’s their egos and that’s it. It is by no means a better path to anything. ECNL is a path to college and for a very very few the pros. Guess what MLS next much smaller path to college and the similar very small percentage to the pros.

BTW- most going pro from MLS next will play on the B team. Please look at that pay scale before you wish that for any player. Then see how many B team players get promoted. Then look at their life outcomes after a VAST majority of B team players A team spots go to international contracts. I know SO many kids that gave their life to B teams and no have nothing to fall back on.

This is a boys comment

why is MLS Next a must to become a pro? I can’t imagine a pro team saying Sorry your the best player in your age but you didn’t play MLS Next so tough luck. Galaxy and LAFC academies are the only ones that have a direct link and don’t think they are not looking at ECNL players for their academies.

Pats have done very well in ECNL. Strikers not so much. The completion in MLS next in inferior to ECNL. Look at Surf Cup super group results.

why leave- Pats and Strikers coaches want to play Galaxy and LAFC. It’s their egos and that’s it. It is by no means a better path to anything. ECNL is a path to college and for a very very few the pros. Guess what MLS next much smaller path to college and the similar very small percentage to the pros.

BTW- most going pro from MLS next will play on the B team. Please look at that pay scale before you wish that for any player. Then see how many B team players get promoted. Then look at their life outcomes after a VAST majority of B team players A team spots go to international contracts. I know SO many kids that gave their life to B teams and no have nothing to fall back on.
Everyone gets the College vs Pro discussion.

The problem with a college focused league is all the "less academically inclined" kids that are good enough to play will filter to MLS next. If the only focus is playing soccer + going pro it's going to bring a higher level of competition because players aren't distracted by their studies.

If colleges started paying players things might tip back into ECNL for boys.

Back