Strikers ECNL rumors

I think the attached article is old news. I saw this letter posted on another forum:
To: The GA Family

To All:

When the Girls Academy launched in 2020, US Youth Soccer (USYS) put aside all competitive differences to our National League, an elite competitive environment established 15-years ago, consisting of 13 conferences, over 3,500 teams and 80,000 players to show unbridled support. Specifically, we built a national registration process to allow the GA to register its players in one fluid motion, through USYS to their respective State Association.

Our goal was to support the GA off the field so they could create an elite environment to allow the players to succeed on it. We also hoped that given our 48-year history, that the GA would want to utilize many of our programming assets to complement their on-field efforts. For example, USYS offered all GA teams the opportunity to partner with our National League, to join forces with our National League P.R.O. and USYS National Showcase events, which would have provided incredible showcasing opportunities for all teams.

We offered our Olympic Development Program (ODP). ODP has been active since 1977 and provides over 40,000 players each year an opportunity to take advantage of a high-performance training experience that helps every player elevate their game on and off the field.

We opened the door for teams to enter our State Cup Tournaments. The State Cups represent the first-round action for our prestigious National Championship Series (NCS). The NCS is a competition that has earned its place as the premier National Championship in youth soccer since 1974.

Finally, we are launching this fall, the National League Elite 64. This top-tier platform of the National League will invite the best 64 clubs across 8 geographic conferences to compete together. Every game will be a recruitable moment. Once the season begins this fall, only teams in the National League will have the right to be promoted into Elite 64. The National League will embrace a promotion/relegation system allowing USYS to live-up to its principles that every team must "Earn Your Place" and regardless of skill level, every team will "Have A Home".

Our vision is to bring communities together through the power of soccer, making life-long fans of the game. As a part of that vision, we operate under four core priorities. One, to create programming that provides any child the opportunity to learn and love our game. Two, to create pathways that support any level of skill to encourage all players to stay playing straight through their teenage years. Three, to invest in player development platforms that will allow every player the ability to elevate their game to the highest level possible. Four, to invest resources behind the acquisition, retention and development of coaches, and referees while creating a learning center to help parents embrace positive support techniques and sideline behavior.

Unfortunately, the GA has taken a stand to discourage any team or player from taking advantage of the USYS portfolio of assets and most recently, mandating that no club accept our invitation to join the USYS National League Elite 64. As I write this, the GA Board is planning to meet Wednesday to decide if they as a league should remain a part of the overall USYS Family or move over to a separate sanctioning body.

To me, this simply does not appear to be a true partnership. Because of this, and beginning with the fall 2022 season, should the GA remain within the USYS Family, we will make one change in our offered support. We will no longer recognize the GA as a national platform. As such, we will no longer offer the GA a single registration process but ask that each team register directly with our National Network of State Associations. This is the same process that is embraced by tens of thousands of teams and over 2.3 million players every year.

While we value the GA and what they are bringing to the sport, we must remain fair and consistent to the 2.3 million other players that do utilize our vast resources. Again, since most teams within the GA already had a direct relationship with its State Association, registering direct through them will not be a burden and will not impact any specific player.

Have a great spring season and feel free to reach out with any questions. My email address is sgilbert@usyouthsoccer.org.
Certainly an old article. The GA has more to gain from a partnership of some sort with the MLS rather than USYS.

You mean the 50% scholarship worth $20K, but which requires about a thousand hours of work to keep your spot on the team?

That's called a part time job. Soccer is more fun than Starbucks, but it's not exactly huge money either.
So at what school is $20 a 50% scholarship?

If

Crush is right. Look at the 10 class of 2022 recruits for UCLA (just as an example). At least 5 of those players accepted verbal offers four years ago when they were in 8th grade, right before the "new" NCAA recruiting rules went into effect. It was either accept the offer or wait until the summer after their sophomore year.

Maybe because they were verbal offers/acceptances, not everyone was aware. But many parents and players were. Clubs made announcements, etc. No question, at least 5 of those girls verbally committed to UCLA back then while they were in 8th grade. Obviously, that doesn't happen anymore with the newer rules.
My DD is also an ‘04 and rejected all of her 8th grade offers with the comment that she doesn’t know what she wants to do in her future Sonia t prepared to commit at this time. She knew the NCAA rule was changing and was willing to gamble on herself.

Anyone who felt “pressure” to commit before then and made their choice has to live with it (that’s the thing about decisions).

Fortunately, it all worked out and her gamble paid off, but I took leadership and guidance from us (not her coach) to stay the course. Too many people think it’s the Coach’s job to dictate and control the narrative.

Sometimes you have to be a parent!

I wonder if there is a database anywhere that shows the success of those early commitments. Did they end up at the intended school? Did they play, and if so, how well?
The facts that women’s college soccer and women’s college lacrosse have the 2 highest transfer rates in college sports—lends some credibility to the early commitments being way to early.

What i am saying is Pats ECRL teams have been a lot better since the break. Not sure if they got new players, coach told them they are getting ECNL or what but there is a real uptick in how they are doing in the league. Likely a combination of those things.

When are ECNL/RL tryouts in CA?
Sometime after May 1st and will vary by ECNL club

Thanks Dean. Crush is right. I lived the 7th and 8th grade sales pitches from those in the middle ((no coach ever talked to my kid about recruiting and my kid did not talk to them in 7th & 8th grade)). "Hey, so and so is coming to help with the drills so be on good behavior." My dd scored two goals against that Quakes team full of YNT and Bruins. My dd was fired up and why shouldn;t she be. She missed the first list and still had something to prove and boy did she. It was the first year of the GDA and her team won 2-0. They just came off winning Far West Regionals and the Natty in 2017. She circled the Quakes and the Legends because each had 5 YNT players and my dd and her teammates had something to prove and they did, by winning. Her team won 5-0 or something like that against Legends. I watched it with my eyes. The moral of story is the girls have no power in this sport and the men will do whatever they need to do to make money first.

Ashley Sanchez committed to UCLA in the 8th grade.

Sharks had a pretty good weekend going 4-1-1, so maybe things are turning around. But it was against the L.A. Breakers which most of their teams are in 8th or 9th place in their division, so take it for it's worth. Only the U16 have a winning record, and that's the Breakers team that had the only win this past weekend.
That's like saying you beat Qatar in the first round of the World Cup so you're heading to the finals. Let's see how they do this weekend against Blues.
Most of the girls at DMCV who had talent and commitment left for Surf, Albion, SDSC Surf and City. They brought in warm bodies, it's going to be another tough ECNL and ECRL season. Fields and coaching just aren't at the same level as all the clubs mentioned above.

This is what I don't understand. One of the top female soccer players in the nation + only gets 50% scholarship?

You'd do better saving up the $$$ and stapling it to your kids application. (aka providing a donation to the school)

What I also don't understand is that some of the top soccer colleges have all kinds of issues with coaches treating players like crap + most of the top teams play kickball.
We are recruiting right now. Mostly D1. Colleges have 26-28 players. Many offer 50% to 24 players, leaving 2 players to get 100%. Others give more 75-100% scholarships, but have a number of players getting 0-25% but because it is an amazing school they at least get into the school and parents have money and tell their friends their kid is at this Amazing school. Go into it hoping to get 50% and a coach that wants your player.

We are recruiting right now. Mostly D1. Colleges have 26-28 players. Many offer 50% to 24 players, leaving 2 players to get 100%. Others give more 75-100% scholarships, but have a number of players getting 0-25% but because it is an amazing school they at least get into the school and parents have money and tell their friends their kid is at this Amazing school. Go into it hoping to get 50% and a coach that wants your player.
The one's for your dd, right? The one's my kid looked at had 44, 41, 38 and 34 players on the rosters. I know FSU has a small roster. I think 50% is fair and then have great grades to get the rest.

When my DD was in 8th grade she committed to HS ;)
Sometimes I feel li
The one's for your dd, right? The one's my kid looked at had 44, 41, 38 and 34 players on the rosters. I know FSU has a small roster. I think 50% is fair and then have great grades to get the rest.
Yes for my DD. The biggest roster so far was 31, with a current top 10 D1 program we are looking at. Still looking for a couple more 2023's, including a keeper. Most schools also allow a couple spots for walk ons. Thankfully I never went into the process thinking she would get 100% (even if I think she is the best goalkeeper around, but then again I'm her dad) and for her dream school would be happy with 33% since I know she can also get about 33% academic and the school stacks scholarships.

Sometimes I feel li

Yes for my DD. The biggest roster so far was 31, with a current top 10 D1 program we are looking at. Still looking for a couple more 2023's, including a keeper. Most schools also allow a couple spots for walk ons. Thankfully I never went into the process thinking she would get 100% (even if I think she is the best goalkeeper around, but then again I'm her dad) and for her dream school would be happy with 33% since I know she can also get about 33% academic and the school stacks scholarships.
I never went into youth soccer for a college deal for my kid and I see clearly why I have beaten this horse past death. I see that clearly. Super stoked for your dd and you as a father. Great job dad and I mean that 100%.

Last edited:

Do they teach their English composition students any adjectives other than "amazing"?

And don't believe everything you hear from parents. Trust me, lots of parents are all to happy to let you believe their kid got a full ride when all they really got was a partial scholarship, or even walked on with the promise of a scholarship in future years. So much misinformation out there, and interests of the powerful who profit from it, are perfectly aligned with those enormous parental egos.

And don't believe everything you hear from parents. Trust me, lots of parents are all to happy to let you believe their kid got a full ride when all they really got was a partial scholarship, or even walked on with the promise of a scholarship in future years. So much misinformation out there, and interests of the powerful who profit from it, are perfectly aligned with those enormous parental egos.
100% the best quote all week Larzby. I know some rich dads that got their kids into some amazing and awesome schools. They paid and their dd is on the team. It is what it is. Dude walks around like his dd got a ride when all that happen is some talks with coach and then coach talks to the other coach and then the deal is doen. Dad can wear his new sweatshirt, mom can brag on Insta and the deal is done. 5% deal=Scholarship.

Back