Stay and play at Surf Cup Phoenix with rising Covid-19 cases

socalkdg you can find a bar in California behaving the same way. One bar with 20 people in it does not define Arizona. Some of us have pointed to opposite experiences in AZ.
I agree. Every state has places that choose to not abide by the rules while others require masks. But here is the thing about bars, you need to take your mask off while drinking. I know when I drink beer my mask will be off for 15-20 minutes while I drink. Multiply that by the number of beers and number of patrons and it is impossible to keep a bar safe inside even with mask requirements. Even places to eat have issues. Many have outdoor areas and keeping the drinking and eating to outside would be a great help.

Spent some time with a buddy at a local outdoor winery in Escondido last Friday, 11/20. His kids are coming back from college for TG so they all get tested just in case. All but my buddy are negative. His test results from Sunday the 22nd come back positive 11/25. Myself and the Ohana immediately get tested 11/25 and we get our negative test results yesterday morning. Thanksgiving was back on!! My buddy text me this morning, he gets another test yesterday 11/26 and it comes back negative this morn'. I ask him if he wants to go to the winery today. He hasn't been to AZ at all. I've been three times and my daughter has played against teams from 3 different States, my son is home from Sacramento and we all test negative. Go figure. I'm not surprised though. Must be the tumeric, ginger, and almond milk shots we've been throwing back.

View attachment 9430covid is real but the numbers at hospital are way lower than expect in my city I second that shifts are getting cut.
I guess not too many elective surgeries, maybe not as many sports injuries, car accidents (other than fatalities for drunk drivers, drivers driving excessive speeds), and people avoiding emergency rooms for head aches, stomach aches, cuts and bruises :). Not as much staff needed.

Spent some time with a buddy at a local outdoor winery in Escondido last Friday, 11/20. His kids are coming back from college for TG so they all get tested just in case. All but my buddy are negative. His test results from Sunday the 22nd come back positive 11/25. Myself and the Ohana immediately get tested 11/25 and we get our negative test results yesterday morning. Thanksgiving was back on!! My buddy text me this morning, he gets another test yesterday 11/26 and it comes back negative this morn'. I ask him if he wants to go to the winery today. He hasn't been to AZ at all. I've been three times and my daughter has played against teams from 3 different States, my son is home from Sacramento and we all test negative. Go figure. I'm not surprised though. Must be the tumeric, ginger, and almond milk shots we've been throwing back.
If you are having the quick test, it has a 20% false negative result. If you truly want an accurate test get the PCR test. It's a little more expensive and results take a couple of days but it is the most accurate.

If you are having the quick test, it has a 20% false negative result. If you truly want an accurate test get the PCR test. It's a little more expensive and results take a couple of days but it is the most accurate.
Interesting. Wonder how many are asymptomatic. What is your source for the 20%? What is the false positive rate for the quick test?

I agree. Every state has places that choose to not abide by the rules while others require masks. But here is the thing about bars, you need to take your mask off while drinking. I know when I drink beer my mask will be off for 15-20 minutes while I drink. Multiply that by the number of beers and number of patrons and it is impossible to keep a bar safe inside even with mask requirements. Even places to eat have issues. Many have outdoor areas and keeping the drinking and eating to outside would be a great help.
Learn to shotgun your beers. That way you only have to keep the mask off for 15-20 seconds.

What does going to bars have to do with your kid playing soccer in a tournament in AZ? I was in CA in JUL, could have posted a million pics like this.

I would expect that most families from CA that are coming to AZ are coming to play soccer. They will get take out and eat back at their hotel. I know that pre "rona" hotel bars were part of the parent experience. It's not now and for the some time into the future. Why would you walk into a bar in downtown phoenix when you know it's "dangerous", snap a pic, then post it on a soccer forum where everyone wants their kid to play soccer?

Fair enough. I haven't gone into a bar for a while and didn't while in Phoenix - just a few open-air restaurants. People wore masks until seated. This isn't surprising though as Hound has been posting picks like this for many weeks, maybe even back to September. I avoid crowds in general - especially inside - whether they have masks or not.
Actually I have been posting photos of that since June ;)

What does going to bars have to do with your kid playing soccer in a tournament in AZ? I was in CA in JUL, could have posted a million pics like this.

I would expect that most families from CA that are coming to AZ are coming to play soccer. They will get take out and eat back at their hotel. I know that pre "rona" hotel bars were part of the parent experience. It's not now and for the some time into the future. Why would you walk into a bar in downtown phoenix when you know it's "dangerous", snap a pic, then post it on a soccer forum where everyone wants their kid to play soccer?
the intent of the picture was to show that the increase in cases in AZ has nothing to do with soccer that is being blamed by the National media for the increases. It is people inside without masks. I completely agree with you. I wasn’t in that bar. Picture taken by friend who had a mask on then drank outside.

Tonight I go into Circle K in Needles. Clerk has mask on chin. Man inside no mask. Cop shows up and no mask. People still ignoring mask rules. We grabbed Subway and are sitting in our hotel with our games scheduled tomorrow.

I guess not too many elective surgeries, maybe not as many sports injuries, car accidents (other than fatalities for drunk drivers, drivers driving excessive speeds), and people avoiding emergency rooms for head aches, stomach aches, cuts and bruises :). Not as much staff needed.
Not proposing we need more car accidents, but decrease in accidents has significantly impacted transplant procedures due to lack of available organs. A friend of ours is a transplant nurse and she has had very little work.

Not sure if it has been talked about yet in this forum or any other but from what I was told several girls came back positive for Covid from the ECNL Arizona showcase a few weeks back. Can anyone confirm. Thanks

Not sure if it has been talked about yet in this forum or any other but from what I was told several girls came back positive for Covid from the ECNL Arizona showcase a few weeks back. Can anyone confirm. Thanks
I'm aware of one girl from SD that was on my buddy's daughter's team that came back sick. There was zero spread, however.

I have NOT heard that rumor..... a friend of a friend on another SW team had a kid sent home from the showcase as her mother tested positive and had given it to the kid later testing revealed....the mother had not gone on the trip she had stayed in Socal....the kid who had played two games in ECNL showcase had not given it to anybody else on her team as they all got tested..... science says it doesn't spread during outdoor youth sports and this incident would again back that up.....

I have NOT heard that rumor..... a friend of a friend on another SW team had a kid sent home from the showcase as her mother tested positive and had given it to the kid later testing revealed....the mother had not gone on the trip she had stayed in Socal....the kid who had played two games in ECNL showcase had not given it to anybody else on her team as they all got tested..... science says it doesn't spread during outdoor youth sports and this incident would again back that up.....
Wouldn't the contact when playing be with the opposing team predominantly, so the risk would be greater to them than your team mates? I assume that the team in question notified the teams they played so that they could all get tested also.

BTW, my kids have been playing club for months with no cases that I know of or have been told of.

Wouldn't the contact when playing be with the opposing team predominantly, so the risk would be greater to them than your team mates? I assume that the team in question notified the teams they played so that they could all get tested also.

BTW, my kids have been playing club for months with no cases that I know of or have been told of.

Your assumption is correct.... her club informed ECNL immediately and opponents were then contacted....

Back