Stay and play at Surf Cup Phoenix with rising Covid-19 cases

Not sure we will see a shutdown in the states that were solidly for opening. North Dakota seems to be content to have 5% of their population test positive. They may just suffer through it all the way to herd immunity. Nevada and Arizona are another story, though.

Not speaking in absolutes- I think I even said "in my area."
Not speaking in absolutes?

Let us review what you said. The part in bold is speaking in absolutes right?

Our county is on the verge of sliding back into Red, (we're in Orange but half that time we've been back to Red numbers!) as it's a direct result of all our schools opening.

Honestly, if we could just start contact scrimmaging internal to our clubs in Cali then progressively move to localized comp, there is absolutely no need to travel anywhere. We all have plenty of comp in our backyards. The notion that we have to leave the state is crazy. Risk for the sake of risk... and I'm not just talking about Covid risk.

Agreed. I feel like we will be fortunate to get in the ECNL Showcase in Phoenix starting two weeks from tomorrow. Same disclaimer, I have no inside information, and if you ask my wife, no real knowledge in general.
I'm hoping for one ECNL League game and Phoenix Showcase before the lockdown. I'm assuming lockdown is coming just in time for Thanksgiving ((stay isolated, no family visits)) and the Darkness of Winter, so no fun or sports for the kids, just more darkness Nothing for the kids except confusion, division and isolation. Happy Holidays to all of you and Merry Christmas to all. Oh joy and oh boy, I can;t wait for what's instore for all of us. I say that with much sarcasm. Ho ho ho ho ho ho!!!!

I have a feeling we are about to see a wide spread shutdown of soccer across the country pretty soon. I wouldn't be shocked if upcoming tournaments over the next 4-6 weeks are canceled.
(No inside information other than the general news of covid infections increasing and hospital beds getting full)
Not a chance in all states. Only California is the outlier. Only state to hit trifectas with children.

Not speaking in absolutes?

Let us review what you said. The part in bold is speaking in absolutes right?

Our county is on the verge of sliding back into Red, (we're in Orange but half that time we've been back to Red numbers!) as it's a direct result of all our schools opening.
LOL. Ok- you got me. Gold star for you.

Honestly, if we could just start contact scrimmaging internal to our clubs in Cali then progressively move to localized comp, there is absolutely no need to travel anywhere. We all have plenty of comp in our backyards. The notion that we have to leave the state is crazy. Risk for the sake of risk... and I'm not just talking about Covid risk.
Felt this way from the beginning - still do.

I’ve stayed in many hotels since Covid. Wear a mask, don’t take elevator With people outside your group, bring in takeout to the room if you want, most rooms were staying play have refrigerators and microwaves anyways, don’t hang out in the lobby. You’ll be fine.

Our county is on the verge of sliding back into Red, (we're in Orange but half that time we've been back to Red numbers!) as it's a direct result of all our schools opening. That's not a surprise- people in close quarters are how this thing spreads.

You're going to try and lay the blame on schools opening back up? So constant rioting and looting after some criminal breaks the law and ends up in a deadly confrontation with police has nothing to do with us sliding back into Red? Neither does all the celebrating in the streets after the Lakers or Dodgers win right? Why not add churches into the mix as well. Oh wait..nevermind. They haven't been allowed to open back up. But we can have people roaming the streets destroying property, stealing/looting, and throwing crap at police officers. But we'll chalk it up to schools being opened back up. Not sure where
you're at. I'm in LA County and don't know of any schools open. But the Lakers and Dodgers are both within LA City borders and I've seen plenty of people on the streets on the post-game news. But I'm sure they were all social-distancing......

You're going to try and lay the blame on schools opening back up? So constant rioting and looting after some criminal breaks the law and ends up in a deadly confrontation with police has nothing to do with us sliding back into Red? Neither does all the celebrating in the streets after the Lakers or Dodgers win right? Why not add churches into the mix as well. Oh wait..nevermind. They haven't been allowed to open back up. But we can have people roaming the streets destroying property, stealing/looting, and throwing crap at police officers. But we'll chalk it up to schools being opened back up. Not sure where
you're at. I'm in LA County and don't know of any schools open. But the Lakers and Dodgers are both within LA City borders and I've seen plenty of people on the streets on the post-game news. But I'm sure they were all social-distancing......
Many are fixated on a small number, or even one of their favorite factor(s) and completely ignore any other possible factors. How about seasonality? How long has the flu been around? We still don't understand it very well. I thought the second "bolded" item was relevant to what we are seeing now.

link (https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-020-02972-4)

Seasonal trends in viral infection are driven by multiple factors, including people’s behaviour and the properties of the virus — some don’t like hot, humid conditions.

Laboratory experiments reveal that SARS-CoV-2 favours cold, dry conditions, particularly out of direct sunlight. For instance, artificial ultraviolet radiation can inactivate SARS-CoV-2 particles on surfaces1 and in aerosols2, especially in temperatures of around 40 °C. Infectious virus also degrades faster on surfaces in warmer and more humid environments3. In winter, people tend to heat their houses to around 20 °C, and the air is dry and not well ventilated, says Dylan Morris, a mathematical biologist at Princeton. “Indoor conditions in the winter are pretty favourable to viral stability.”

She and her colleagues modelled5 the rise and fall in infection rates over several years for New York City with and without a climate effect, and with different levels of control measures. They found that a small climate effect can result in substantial outbreaks when the seasons change if control measures are only just managing to contain the virus. “That could be a location where climate might nudge you over,” Baker says.

More on seasonality. (link https://www.sciencemag.org/news/202...seases-wax-and-wane-seasons-and-will-covid-19)

“If we knew what suppressed influenza to summertime levels, that would be a lot more effective than any of the flu vaccines we have,” Dowell says.

Even for well-known seasonal diseases, it’s not clear why they wax and wane during the calendar year. “It’s an absolute swine of a field,” says Andrew Loudon, a chronobiologist at the University of Manchester. Investigating a hypothesis over several seasons can take 2 or 3 years. “Postdocs can only get one experiment done and it can be a career killer,” Loudon says. The field is also plagued by confounding variables. “All kinds of things are seasonal, like Christmas shopping,” says epidemiologist Scott Dowell, who heads vaccine development and surveillance at the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation and in 2001 wrote a widely cited perspective that inspired Martinez’s current study. And it’s easy to be misled by spurious correlations, Dowell says.

I wonder if 2 teams ever end up accidently showing up at the same place, at the same time & just happen to organize themselves into 2 groups, drop a ball and see what happens? Just wishful thinking I guess.

You're right! I LOVE rioting, looting... and totally think that's the way to go. You win, I cannot argue with stupid.

And you're right- you have no clue where I am so STFU. We've had schools open for a good 6 weeks.

All of my friends and family that work in hospitals say they have very few Covid cases now, at least in San Diego. Hospital beds are not full in San Diego, maybe where you are from.
Info only, family member recently hospitalized for a non covid emergency in Colorado. Hospital full, had to be admitted to cardiac unit because no beds available in rest of hospital due to Covid. :(

But, but, but they were all outside!

My kids go to a private school in LA County. They have been in classroom since early August. Not one Covid case/incident.

Back