state cup

Speed

GOLD
Is it really true that state cup will be played at the end of league? So for orders right before high school season?

State Cup starts during fall player under SoCalSoccer League. Pool play is 5 games. 3 of them during the fall season. 2 of them after the high school break. If you make it out of pool play, there are elimination rounds after that.
Apparently if you play in SoCal League - you are mandated to play in State Cup.
I got an email from the league the other day that a lot of teams haven't registered to play yet. The deadline was 8/31. First proposed play date is 9/25 for 05 and older.

I don't know anyone that is excited about it. For the older age groups that aren't ECNL- players and families would prefer less games and an actual end to the season right before HS soccer starts. And then maybe play a little bit in Spring.

Overall State Cup Info: http://www.socalstatecup.com/

SoCal Soccer League Calendar: http://www.socalstatecup.com/_files/Revised Calendar of Events 8_20_21.pdf
(Look for your age group and what division you play in to see the proposed State Cup play dates)

League cup but let's call it a state cup and get that extra $700 out of teams. Doubt any non socal league teams going to pay that 1k for a tournament not many care about.

Let's drag it out over the months after the fall so we can say there is spring play.

If a team does well top 2 maybe get to play in the new California Cup tournament vs Nocal teams. This is equivalent to playing flight 2 in a major tournament like Surf, Vegas, etc.

The marketing and pseudo names are good with this one but I don't know if that's about it?

League cup but let's call it a state cup and get that extra $700 out of teams. Doubt any non socal league teams going to pay that 1k for a tournament not many care about.

Let's drag it out over the months after the fall so we can say there is spring play.

If a team does well top 2 maybe get to play in the new California Cup tournament vs Nocal teams. This is equivalent to playing flight 2 in a major tournament like Surf, Vegas, etc.

The marketing and pseudo names are good with this one but I don't know if that's about it?

How does the $700 compare with the Cal South State Cup entry fees? Is there an additional cost (apart from the travel costs) to play in the California Cup, or is that covered already in the $700?

How does the $700 compare with the Cal South State Cup entry fees? Is there an additional cost (apart from the travel costs) to play in the California Cup, or is that covered already in the $700?

$700 is just for league members, 1k for outsiders.

CS state cup ~$700 and national cup ~ 1k. At least with those tournaments you had large numbers in the past and good chance of playing teams your don't normally play in league. If you advance you get to go to regionals and get a travel snippet.

The Cal Cup I'm going to assume is not a additional cost to enter but there are travel costs for the 08-13' groups since they have to travel to Nocal to play late March.

For the olders nocal teams have to travel down to Socal to play in that. To return that favor there is a Nocal showcase that is a cost item that Socal teams can travel to in late April..

Having a tournament play out in June like the Cal Cup is a interesting choice and the state/league cup in mid May for the olders. By June not sure that many will still be interested in that, Nocal teams might be light numbers.

Overall doesn't seem like this is setup to favor players with a haphazard disconnected schedule. Finish league, play a tournament when teams are in form would be a better more together solution but this is just really more of the same old formula that the clubs may like to retain players full-time to give them something to hold on to.

State Cup was really cool when the kids are in middle school and younger. The sweatshirt; the big tournament feel; heck- even the drive and staying in Lancaster were kinda fun.
But after 9th grade- The luster is gone. The last few years- You were pretty much guaranteed a game to be played at the beginning or end of Spring Break - Parents realize they only have a few years left with their high school kids and the chance to take a spring break vacation (or visit colleges) is more important than a tournament that doesn't mean much.

I haven't compared the new schedule to Spring Break yet- But I do know that having 3 extra games during the Fall season isn't preferred (By me- at least).

State Cup was really cool when the kids are in middle school and younger. The sweatshirt; the big tournament feel; heck- even the drive and staying in Lancaster were kinda fun.
But after 9th grade- The luster is gone. The last few years- You were pretty much guaranteed a game to be played at the beginning or end of Spring Break - Parents realize they only have a few years left with their high school kids and the chance to take a spring break vacation (or visit colleges) is more important than a tournament that doesn't mean much.

I haven't compared the new schedule to Spring Break yet- But I do know that having 3 extra games during the Fall season isn't preferred (By me- at least).

I learned so much about Lancaster and Palmdale in those days. One odd feature was the elimination weekends - if you won on Saturday, you had a game on Sunday, so there was cellphone scrambling to find a place for Saturday night.

16 League games is nuts, not to mention the ridiculous single January game on the youngers league schedules. Between that schedule, State Cup and allowing 2 games in one Day and players to play down, time to buy Coast, sell Socal.

how many teams in CSL are going to join State Cup do we think?

the fact that they keep extending the deadline makes me think they aren't getting the participation that they envisioned.

Though, my understanding is this is mandatory for anyone in F2 or above. So, it could be the F3 and F4 participation is way down.

how many teams in CSL are going to join State Cup do we think?

the fact that they keep extending the deadline makes me think they aren't getting the participation that they envisioned.

Though, my understanding is this is mandatory for anyone in F2 or above. So, it could be the F3 and F4 participation is way down.

Very few since they would also need to have US CLUB SOCCER player and staff cards to participate.

Registration doesn't come cheaply and why would they bother for a new tournament where you have to play part of group play in fall, part later in winter or spring, elimination rounds all over the calendar, with a June tournament later if you did well in the first one.

Could end up just like the socal SCDSL showcases did, light turnout and very few players really into them.

Likely there are much better competitive tournaments to spend your $ & time with that actually have good turnouts and coaches that come out to see players.

Very few since they would also need to have US CLUB SOCCER player and staff cards to participate.

Registration doesn't come cheaply and why would they bother for a new tournament where you have to play part of group play in fall, part later in winter or spring, elimination rounds all over the calendar, with a June tournament later if you did well in the first one.

Could end up just like the socal SCDSL showcases did, light turnout and very few players really into them.

Likely there are much better competitive tournaments to spend your $ & time with that actually have good turnouts and coaches that come out to see players.
My understanding that 1st SoCal showcase on Nov 13-14 is in NorCal.

My understanding that 1st SoCal showcase on Nov 13-14 is in NorCal.

For olders boys that play in discovery, girls is the following but that's not state/league cup just a new Nocal NPL showcase.

The real thanksgiving showcases are where the coaches will be spending there time & travel on @ Surf, Silverlakes, and all the other ones.

For olders boys that play in discovery, girls is the following but that's not state/league cup just a new Nocal NPL showcase.

The real thanksgiving showcases are where the coaches will be spending there time & travel on @ Surf, Silverlakes, and all the other ones.
I also understand that this Showcase is not required to attend

This was the email that was sent to the 03/04 Age Group the other day:

To all Club Officials and Team Contacts:

These email address the G2003/04 Discovery, Flight 1 and Flight 2 teams and registration for the SOCAL State Cup -

As you may or may not be aware, State Cup is required for all Discovery NPL, Flight 1 and Flight 2 teams. After reviewing registration, there are A LOT of teams that still have not registered for State Cup and the event starts for these birth years on September 25 so it's crucial that clubs make sure your teams get registered. I have reopened State CUp registration. CLICK HERE to register your team. Registration is open until 9/14 at 9pm.

Below are the teams that ARE registered for State Cup.
If you (as Club Officials or Team Contacts) do NOT see your team(s) on the list below then you have not registered and this MUST be done by the deadline above. The fee is $700 for 5-games guaranteed. All teams must register themselves, SOCAL does not register your teams for you. The Cup level the team has registered for is listed on the far right.

At this time, only payment via credit card, when you register, will be accepted. We are past the deadline for submitting payment by check.

So, if you are receiving this email and you do not see your team(s) listed below then you need to register ASAP!"

Then it listed out the teams that have registered so far. I counted 113 teams.
When I add up the number of teams in Discovery (50), F1 (37), F2 (21) for this age group- It comes out to 108 teams.
I did see a few ECNL RL teams registered. No idea if any teams from Coast or other leagues have entered.
Based on this math- Most teams appear to have registered for this age group.

This was the email that was sent to the 03/04 Age Group the other day:

To all Club Officials and Team Contacts:

These email address the G2003/04 Discovery, Flight 1 and Flight 2 teams and registration for the SOCAL State Cup -

As you may or may not be aware, State Cup is required for all Discovery NPL, Flight 1 and Flight 2 teams. After reviewing registration, there are A LOT of teams that still have not registered for State Cup and the event starts for these birth years on September 25 so it's crucial that clubs make sure your teams get registered. I have reopened State CUp registration. CLICK HERE to register your team. Registration is open until 9/14 at 9pm.

Below are the teams that ARE registered for State Cup.
If you (as Club Officials or Team Contacts) do NOT see your team(s) on the list below then you have not registered and this MUST be done by the deadline above. The fee is $700 for 5-games guaranteed. All teams must register themselves, SOCAL does not register your teams for you. The Cup level the team has registered for is listed on the far right.

At this time, only payment via credit card, when you register, will be accepted. We are past the deadline for submitting payment by check.

So, if you are receiving this email and you do not see your team(s) listed below then you need to register ASAP!"

Then it listed out the teams that have registered so far. I counted 113 teams.
When I add up the number of teams in Discovery (50), F1 (37), F2 (21) for this age group- It comes out to 108 teams.
I did see a few ECNL RL teams registered. No idea if any teams from Coast or other leagues have entered.
Based on this math- Most teams appear to have registered for this age group.

113x700 ~ $80k X 2 (boys+ girls) = 160k per Group @ 6 age groups and that's a nice cool close to $1$ million in fees to play in league cup. nah it's not about the $ were doing this for.....

113x700 ~ $80k X 2 (boys+ girls) = 160k per Group @ 6 age groups and that's a nice cool close to $1$ million in fees to play in league cup. nah it's not about the $ were doing this for.....
I'm sure it's not free to put on. But it's an unnecessary expense and an unnecessary time suck.
I think the pitch on this new league/new format was "More games for less money." I'm not sure who was asking for more games.

I'm sure it's not free to put on. But it's an unnecessary expense and an unnecessary time suck.
I think the pitch on this new league/new format was "More games for less money." I'm not sure who was asking for more games.

Yeah in reality you're not getting more games for less getting the same thing with inconvenient schedules at some far away complexes they have contracts with..

For more meaningful games or exposure can always play in the multitude of different tournaments or a real spring League where you can get 10 or so games and bulid towards postseason that way.

Yeah in reality you're not getting more games for less getting the same thing with inconvenient schedules at some far away complexes they have contracts with..

For more meaningful games or exposure can always play in the multitude of different tournaments or a real spring League where you can get 10 or so games and bulid towards postseason that way.
Yeah, but then there are going to be teams that can't claim they were State Champions or State Finalists. ;)

State Cup starts during fall player under SoCalSoccer League. Pool play is 5 games. 3 of them during the fall season. 2 of them after the high school break. If you make it out of pool play, there are elimination rounds after that.
Apparently if you play in SoCal League - you are mandated to play in State Cup.
I got an email from the league the other day that a lot of teams haven't registered to play yet. The deadline was 8/31. First proposed play date is 9/25 for 05 and older.

I don't know anyone that is excited about it. For the older age groups that aren't ECNL- players and families would prefer less games and an actual end to the season right before HS soccer starts. And then maybe play a little bit in Spring.

Overall State Cup Info: http://www.socalstatecup.com/

SoCal Soccer League Calendar: http://www.socalstatecup.com/_files/Revised Calendar of Events 8_20_21.pdf
(Look for your age group and what division you play in to see the proposed State Cup play dates)
Super helpful thank you. I fall under the not excited and don't want to do it category

Back