state cup

You’re talking talking about the girls side, and your talking about 2 or maybe three teams that are that deep. You also got to look at the teams that have their top team in discovery…one problem this year is discovery let everyone in so it’s hard to even say what is what, but I can say the top teams in discovery can compete and are probably better than any ecrl team.
05 girls Discovery. Tudela and Real So Cal LAFC White two examples of teams that can compete with ECNL teams and beat ECRL teams. I know both teams really well.

05 girls Discovery. Tudela and Real So Cal LAFC White two examples of teams that can compete with ECNL teams and beat ECRL teams. I know both teams really well.
Two good teams, sure—One is from a super club—and they’re winning their games easily, showing the strength of 05 discovery. The average team in their league would not compete with the ecnl/ECRL teams.

You are correct about the depth of Discovery, and I agree on ECNL, but ECRL is a step down from ECNL with a number of Discovery teams that can beat the middle of the pack ECRL teams. With a number of ECNL and ECRL players playing High School this year (at least in the Inland Empire) a number of these girls aren't starting because there are a number of Discovery and CSL Premier players that are better than them. Nice to see all the girls mixing together and playing for their schools. Makes for better soccer and less injuries.

Two good teams, sure—One is from a super club—and they’re winning their games easily, showing the strength of 05 discovery. The average team in their league would not compete with the ecnl/ECRL teams.

When Discovery goes back to a 15 team limit, it will definitely be better than ECRL.

From the State Cup 2021-22 Handbook:

"It is considered unethical for teams to move Players to teams in a lower-level division within the same Club for the purpose of creating a competitive advantage"

Does adding 5 ECNL players to a flight 1 team playing in the Super Cup division qualify as unethical?

From the State Cup 2021-22 Handbook:

"It is considered unethical for teams to move Players to teams in a lower-level division within the same Club for the purpose of creating a competitive advantage"

Does adding 5 ECNL players to a flight 1 team playing in the Super Cup division qualify as unethical?
what club if you dare say ;)

I'm sure its to nobody's surprise...Blues
I've been watching 2009 ECRL lately + it's more common for teams to bring 3-4 "ringers" then to not bring them.

With the new changes in ECNL that either NL or RL can play on either team (but only 1 game per day) ringers will become the norm.

Allowing NL/RL to play on either team creates a single players pool that gets defined each week. Clubs want wins and will distribute players to whatever team will make that happen.

I used to believe that defined teams was the way to go. Now that I'm seeing it happen I kind of like pool play. As long as players are never allowed to do more than one game per day.

With pool play B team players can move up to A team and A team players can assist B teams. The B players get exposed to A level play and if they get better through the season have an opportunity to play on the A team. Bubble players get exposed to the most varied types of play. Which I think is a huge benefit.

Moving players up/down from the same ECNL/ECRL pool at the same club could even have a point, but How about limiting (forbidding) ringers from other clubs? That would prevent (insert your adjective of choice here) events like in a recent ECNL game where players from a 3rd non-ECXX club played for both ECNL teams that day.

Moving players up/down from the same ECNL/ECRL pool at the same club could even have a point, but How about limiting (forbidding) ringers from other clubs? That would prevent (insert your adjective of choice here) events like in a recent ECNL game where players from a 3rd non-ECXX club played for both ECNL teams that day.
If a non ENCL player was playing for an ECNL team they would have to be registered as a Discovery player. 2 per ECNL/RL level, or 4 total per age group. Which because of pool play technically means an ECNL team could have 4 ringers.

I believe the catch is that Discovery players can only do 1 ECNL/RL event per day.

I'm sure its to nobody's surprise...Blues
No surprise there. Whenever we play a blues team in So Cal League, I check their ECNL/RL schedule to see (hope) that there are schedule conflicts.

It's one thing to move an ECNL player to a RL team. Or maybe even move an RL player to a Discovery team. But to move 4 players from an RL team to flight one when you have a bench of 7 players- Certainly not being done because they were short players.

It's hard to be mad at Blues though- If I had a kid that wanted to play D1 soccer and she was athletic enough- That's were I'd take my kid. The club wins a lot and puts a lot of kids in to college programs.
The leagues are built to appease to a program like this. By not limiting club passes, why wouldn't they (And to a lesser extent- slammers and surf) use these lazy rules to win games?

ECNL starts at u13 - the 09 Age Group. I'm only referring to girls teams here.
1. Blues has 18 teams in SoCal league that are 09 or older. They have 6 ECNL teams and 6 RL teams
2. Slammers has 7 teams in SoCal league (not including their affiliates. Pretty sure they aren't able to move players between CDA/South/etc). They have 6 slammers and 6 koge in ECNL. And 6 slammers and 6 koge in RL. (Not sure why they are allowed to have 2 encl teams- But whatever)
3. Surf has 10 teams in SoCal league (not including any affiliates). 6 teams in ECNL and 6 in RL.

For the most part- Blues teams in SoCal league are near the top of the table. Slammers and Surf are middle/bottom.

I thought this so cal state cup was a joke until I looked at the competition in the 04 Girls division as compared to National cup at the same age. 16 teams in National cup as compared to 60 teams in so cal state cup, many of which are very good like Beach RL, Legends RL, and all the other RL teams. Did I miss something or did everyone in Cal south jump ship? I'm a big National cup fan and have had pretty good competition there pre-covid but 16 teams is a ridiculous number. The 05 and 06's have even fewer teams. Why is everyone doing this so cal tournament?

I thought this so cal state cup was a joke until I looked at the competition in the 04 Girls division as compared to National cup at the same age. 16 teams in National cup as compared to 60 teams in so cal state cup, many of which are very good like Beach RL, Legends RL, and all the other RL teams. Did I miss something or did everyone in Cal south jump ship? I'm a big National cup fan and have had pretty good competition there pre-covid but 16 teams is a ridiculous number. The 05 and 06's have even fewer teams. Why is everyone doing this so cal tournament?

Because most clubs did indeed bail Cal South to join the new SoCal league this past season, so those clubs would then compete in SoCal's tournament.

I believe So Cal state cup required all teams to pay and play in National cup ahead of time.

Where does the winner of So Cal State cup play? I know National Cup winner from Cal South goes to West Regionals in Idaho.

Where does the winner of So Cal State cup play? I know National Cup winner from Cal South goes to West Regionals in Idaho.

from the site

The first annual California Cup is officially here! The quest to crown a true California State Cup champion continues on April 2-3 for the 2009-2013 Super Cup birth years. The youngers, 2009-2013, event will be hosted by NorCal Premier at the Davis Legacy Soccer Complex in Davis, CA.

The event will feature the two Champions and two Finalists from each organization going toe to toe and competing to become THE California State Cup Champion. Over 5,000 teams are anticipated to compete across the combined competition of both State Cups for a spot in the California Cup.

More information will be sent out directly to California teams that qualify for the event.

GOOD LUCK to the teams that qualify! Represent SOCAL with honor and pride!

SoCal League made it "mandatory" to play in their version of State Cup. Part of the reason why you see a handful of forfeits.

They did a good job with state cup. We played more games this season than any past state cup tournament. It’s a bit longer than I would had hoped but overall it was worth the price

Back