state cup

My kids team plays over an hour away (Oceanside) late afternoon on Halloween. Parents are not happy. The league hasnt even respond to our emails about scheduling conflicts of any kind. Our coach has a different state cup game at the same time at a different venue. Overall our team is extremely unhappy with this new league and their mandated state cup.
Hopefully SoCal will fix this problem next year and have local games for group stages of State Cup. Traveling for group stages should be done in 1 weekend at the same location on a non holiday weekend. It's kinda tough this year juggling scheduling with ref shortages and local field shortages though.

Hopefully SoCal will fix this problem next year and have local games for group stages of State Cup. Traveling for group stages should be done in 1 weekend at the same location on a non holiday weekend. It's kinda tough this year juggling scheduling with ref shortages and local field shortages though.

That would be nice for families but don't count on that since "league cup" disguised as state cup is a money maker and local fields would likely costs the league more and they can't get any parking revenue.

Those contacts with Silverlakes and other places where they need to fill the fields or be in breach are multi year deals and they don't want to jeopardize those again or give up more revenue.

The league and clubs are working together for their benefits not yours. Local play would end up costing parents less overall but clubs or leagues more so lots of people are traveling hours and paying parking weekly instead.

That would be nice for families but don't count on that since "league cup" disguised as state cup is a money maker and local fields would likely costs the league more and they can't get any parking revenue.

Those contacts with Silverlakes and other places where they need to fill the fields or be in breach are multi year deals and they don't want to jeopardize those again or give up more revenue.

The league and clubs are working together for their benefits not yours. Local play would end up costing parents less overall but clubs or leagues more so lots of people are traveling hours and paying parking weekly instead.
They should just let parents know and then find a way to see how they can keep games local and still be able to meet their contractual obligation to Silverlakes. Maybe a payoff to silverlakes might be a good idea. Parents can help pay for this cost. It's probably a lot cheaper than driving all that way. If the league is transparent with their numbers, we'd all rather pitch in to help out than drive 2-3 hours and pay for parking.

It would go something like this - we need X more games at Silverlakes to reach our obligation. If we pay Silverlakes Y amount, we don't have to have the games there. It would cost each family W amount of money. Would your team rather drive up and pay for parking or would you like to save your time and gas money and just pay to help with the contractual obligation?

If people see the number difference, they can decide individually as clubs and teams.

They should just let parents know and then find a way to see how they can keep games local and still be able to meet their contractual obligation to Silverlakes. Maybe a payoff to silverlakes might be a good idea. Parents can help pay for this cost. It's probably a lot cheaper than driving all that way. If the league is transparent with their numbers, we'd all rather pitch in to help out than drive 2-3 hours and pay for parking.

It would go something like this - we need X more games at Silverlakes to reach our obligation. If we pay Silverlakes Y amount, we don't have to have the games there. It would cost each family W amount of money. Would your team rather drive up and pay for parking or would you like to save your time and gas money and just pay to help with the contractual obligation?

If people see the number difference, they can decide individually as clubs and teams.
Or maybe the league should have thought about this before.
"We get silverlakes, oceanside, del mar for very cheap. They have a lot of fields. It will be great."
But "cheap" to the league comes at a cost to players/families.
Use those fields on an "as needed" basis for clubs that can't get a home field.

Well at least its a better drive to Silverlakes, Oceanside or Del Mar, I still remember driving for Cal South State Cup to Lancaster, Hesperia or even Coronado.
Isn’t this just one game during the first round? I get maybe making it optional for flight 2/3 teams but flight 1 and above need to play. There’s a huge commitment level difference for the top teams.

Discovery NPL teams have it tough. There is no such thing as a home game for Orange County teams (and I am sure others too). All of the league games are at Surf Cup Sports, Oceanside, Galway Downs, or Silverlakes. Then you add in State Cup games, which are played at these exact same venues. There are zero games in Orange County. Even Blues against West Coast (played in San Diego), or Blues against Blues (played in Oceanside). This adds up to at least 4-5 hours per game with driving to, warm up, game, driving home. When you play Saturday and Sunday, it is your entire weekend.

Discovery teams do not have to pay referees, but parents have to pay parking at every game. So it all adds up to the same.

I can appreciate what "SoCal League" was trying to do. I think "on paper", all of their ideas sound pretty solid.
But they didn't plan/think of consequences properly. They really should have a "parent", "coach" and "referee" committee that they can run things by.

A little thought would have told them that "Since we are back from COVID, many players and families have put sports on the backburner (with the exception of the truly elite league players)." This should have been a year to ease things back to "normal" - Especially at the high school ages. HS aged players had a HS and a club season running at the same time during spring. Then they went straight into HS Summer League and club tournaments.
Referees are in the same boat. There was never enough to go around. Doubling up the hs and club seasons didn't help. Adding more games for league and state cup has made it worse. Couple that up with the world being more angry than it was 19 months ago- It's a disaster.
Discovery League being all played at the same venues sounds great on paper. Until you have to drive from LA or San Diego each week in worsening traffic and pay $15 to park to watch your kid play. My kid likes soccer. She doesn't like spending 5 hours on Saturday and some Sundays driving to a game, playing a game and driving back from a game. (Neither do I or my wife).
Letting players jump around to rosters and play 2 games in a day was necessary when we came back last Spring (clubs/teams didn't know who was coming back to play and needed to share players between rosters). Now you have teams using this as an advantage by bringing kids down from a level or 2 above.
I really like this idea. They should have a parent advisory committee. It is hard when you are stuck in the weeds. I think intentions are good they just don't know what they don't know

Discovery NPL teams have it tough. There is no such thing as a home game for Orange County teams (and I am sure others too). All of the league games are at Surf Cup Sports, Oceanside, Galway Downs, or Silverlakes. Then you add in State Cup games, which are played at these exact same venues. There are zero games in Orange County. Even Blues against West Coast (played in San Diego), or Blues against Blues (played in Oceanside). This adds up to at least 4-5 hours per game with driving to, warm up, game, driving home. When you play Saturday and Sunday, it is your entire weekend.

Discovery teams do not have to pay referees, but parents have to pay parking at every game. So it all adds up to the same.
We are sucking in Discovery NPL due to lots of injuries. I agree with all you said and will gladly take the relegation.

Injuries are the worst. We were 3 points behind the first place team playing then in our next to last game in CSL. Up 1-0 through first 25 minutes. Key defender twists her ankle really badly, carried off, passed out, taken to hospital, ok now. Girls just lost their edge when she went down, both goals might have been averted if she had still been there. Lost 2-1.

I was talking to one team manager of 05 Discovery team and they had their first game cancelled and the next two games forfeit wins.

What local venues are they supposed to play at ? Great Park would be only one that would work. They can't have the event at 36 2-3 field locations. I think overall it’s a small minority that have gripes about the locations. Plus depended where you live. We live right on the LA/OC border and we have no complaints about Silverlakes or Oceanside on any of our teams. A couple grunts about Galway but that’s about it. Most people appreciate the field quality at those venues and understand that kinda travel is part of errrrrrr travel ball. And again depends where you live. If your from San Clemente or SD than Oceanside is no big deal. Of your from Santa Clarita that’s gonna suck but then again you can’t move to Santa Clarita and except convenience when it comes to travel.

No home games. Lower competitive level. Two strikes against Discovery.

Well Maybe your kid should not be playing in Discovery NPL league. Even the premiere league in the Coast League is having all of those games in OC Great Parks. They have a few teams driving from Bakersfield to OC Great Parks for 1 game a week and that commute one way can be 3 hours long.

Well Maybe your kid should not be playing in Discovery NPL league. Even the premiere league in the Coast League is having all of those games in OC Great Parks. They have a few teams driving from Bakersfield to OC Great Parks for 1 game a week and that commute one way can be 3 hours long.
How many parents/kids "picked" Discovery league?
For many- they play on a team. That team is pretty solid. Depending on how many teams your club has in an age group - Its the top (non-ecnl), or 2nd/3rd team at your club. Your coach/director chose to put you in that league.

How many parents/kids "picked" Discovery league?
For many- they play on a team. That team is pretty solid. Depending on how many teams your club has in an age group - Its the top (non-ecnl), or 2nd/3rd team at your club. Your coach/director chose to put you in that league.
I totally know how flights work in Socal League. But what I meant was when they inform parents your kids team is going to be say Discovery/Premiere teams they informed parents that there games will be in certain facilities and traveling is involved.

Lower competitive level? Compared to what? It also depends on if you are talking boys are girls. For boys, It's not ECNL or MLS Next, but you could argue its just as good as EA. There are also some pretty weak teams in ECNL and MLS next as well. All leagues are watered down these days, there's just too many of them fighting to be the next best thing.

I totally know how flights work in Socal League. But what I meant was when they inform parents your kids team is going to be say Discovery/Premiere teams they informed parents that there games will be in certain facilities and traveling is involved.
We won and got moved. I am pissed and I hate driving to silver lakes but I wasn't going to move my kid because of the location. We are vested with the team and club. We certainly wouldn't have left a good solid team/coach because of location of games. But still hate the driving and will complain about it.

We won and got moved. I am pissed and I hate driving to silver lakes but I wasn't going to move my kid because of the location. We are vested with the team and club. We certainly wouldn't have left a good solid team/coach because of location of games. But still hate the driving and will complain about it.
I hear you on driving but. It just comes down to where your starting point is for the drive.

Lower competitive level? Compared to what? It also depends on if you are talking boys are girls. For boys, It's not ECNL or MLS Next, but you could argue its just as good as EA. There are also some pretty weak teams in ECNL and MLS next as well. All leagues are watered down these days, there's just too many of them fighting to be the next best thing.
For example, Blues and slammers. Their top teams are in ECNL, then ECRL and third best is in Discovery or SoCal Flight 1. Big gap between ecnl and discovery, even more so this year with so many teams thrown into discovery that don’t belong.

For example, Blues and slammers. Their top teams are in ECNL, then ECRL and third best is in Discovery or SoCal Flight 1. Big gap between ecnl and discovery, even more so this year with so many teams thrown into discovery that don’t belong.
You’re talking talking about the girls side, and your talking about 2 or maybe three teams that are that deep. You also got to look at the teams that have their top team in discovery…one problem this year is discovery let everyone in so it’s hard to even say what is what, but I can say the top teams in discovery can compete and are probably better than any ecrl team.

Back