STANDINGS: G2010 SCDSL Flight 1 Mar-May 2021

What really stands out to me is the Slammers FC PA/RG team...looking strong in the backfield, teams are having some issues scoring on them. This team is having a good season so far....Who is the Coach over there?
Head Coach: Pete Aguirre
Asst. Coach: Ryan Gonzalez

My youngest guested several times with Pete when she played on the smaller fields back in the days, won a State Cup too! Great coach who puts an emphasis on the fundamentals and creativity, he has a unique ability to balance out the competitiveness and fun for the kids.

What really stands out to me is the Slammers FC PA/RG team...looking strong in the backfield, teams are having some issues scoring on them. This team is having a good season so far....Who is the Coach over there?

The team has a pretty dominant defender with both size (really tall for the age) and aggression. She's also super competitive. Their keeper is also very good. I can see why they haven't been scored on much this Spring.

They have only given up just 3 goals. From the top 2 teams. 1 from surf and 2 from Blues. Very impressive.

They have only given up just 3 goals. From the top 2 teams. 1 from surf and 2 from Blues. Very impressive.
Thats a very good point SS.....(on another note) What do you think the expectations of young goalies these days are? Will we (Coaches/Clubs) expect them to be affluent with their foot skills as well? When we look across the practice field , it should be hard to see the difference between goalie and field players footwork, the goalie should be equal in control. Just a thought....

Thats a very good point SS.....(on another note) What do you think the expectations of young goalies these days are? Will we (Coaches/Clubs) expect them to be affluent with their foot skills as well? When we look across the practice field , it should be hard to see the difference between goalie and field players footwork, the goalie should be equal in control. Just a thought....

I think the "good with their feet" thing gets a bit overblown. Yes I do believe a keeper should be comfortable with the ball coming into their feet, but I don't think they need to be indistinguishable from a field player when running cone drills by an outside observer. I think it's far more about the basics. A good first touch, getting the ball out of feet quickly and situational awareness. A ball and a wall handles part of that, and good game IQ and experience handles the other part. The rest comes from athleticism, which I feel is the most important factor in a good keeper, followed closely by positional and situational awareness (being a calm, intelligent player when under pressure).

Back