Some Refs really should not be refs

IDK

BRONZE
I know we should all understand the hard job referees do, but some refs are really bad. At this weekend's tournament, our team got called many offside, including a few goals. As I watched the videos again, this sideline ref basically was 15 feet ahead of the final defender the whole second half. Of course, many of the calls were mistakes. Come on, the ref should respect the hard work kids put in too!

I know we should all understand the hard job referees do, but some refs are really bad. At this weekend's tournament, our team got called many offside, including a few goals. As I watched the videos again, this sideline ref basically was 15 feet ahead of the final defender the whole second half. Of course, many of the calls were mistakes. Come on, the ref should respect the hard work kids put in too!
Then why don’t you go through a referee course and replace that bad referee. There is a shortage of referees, so we could use you. Don’t just complain because it does not bring fix anything. Remember, we all have bad games…refs have bad games…..players have bad games…..coaches have bad games.

We had a ref one time that did a number of things I've never seen before.

1. Ran up to a parent (way off the pitch) and aggressively threatened him with a yellow. (wasn't warranted)
2. Ignored the line judge on several offsides calls (this is what was making the parent vocally frustrated)
3. Ended the first half on a break away
4. During halftime both line judges went up and tried talking to him (about ignoring the line judges + ending on a breakaway)
5. At the end of the second half he allowed a crazy box penalty then another crazy corner both equaled goals
6. Ended the game 5 minutes early + right after the two back to back goals were scored off crazy ref calls
7. When our coach started freaking out about calling the game the ref went up to him and pushed him in front of the players
8. Our coach immediately backed down sensing the tension + the line judges gathered the crazy ref and walked him off the field
9. On the way to the refs tent the crazy ref got into a shoving match with the line refs

I'm normally the first person to defend refs + try to say thank you to the refs after every game. However this guy was the worst ref I'd ever seen.

I couldn't figure out if he was incompetent, on drugs/drunk, or on the take. The calls + actions taken were so bizarre.

Was this Player's Challenge? The ref'ing was really bad there. All other tournament/league ref'ing has been good otherwise.

Then why don’t you go through a referee course and replace that bad referee. There is a shortage of referees, so we could use you. Don’t just complain because it does not bring fix anything. Remember, we all have bad games…refs have bad games…..players have bad games…..coaches have bad games.
DS has been a youth ref for about 4 years now. Due to the shortage in refs, he is reffing fairly high level games. In one of the games this weekend when he was an AR, the parents were screaming for a handball. He said he would be lying if he said he could see anything in the mosh pit of bodies in the box so didn't raise his flag. He also said it would be helpful if parents did not day drink at games, it tends to bring out the worst in them.

you're saying 'Some Refs really should not be refs'. It could be true but let me add a few more for you

Some parents really shouldn't be parents.
Some coaches really shouldn't be coaches.
Some spectators shouldn't be allowed at the youth sports games
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
What's new?

Reactionary. The coach needs to take this up with the head referee, and also tell his attackers to time their runs more. Adapt to the conditions, it's like playing on dirt vs playing in four-inch-high wet grass.

DS has been a youth ref for about 4 years now. Due to the shortage in refs, he is reffing fairly high level games. In one of the games this weekend when he was an AR, the parents were screaming for a handball. He said he would be lying if he said he could see anything in the mosh pit of bodies in the box so didn't raise his flag. He also said it would be helpful if parents did not day drink at games, it tends to bring out the worst in them.
You raised a good one!!

The center ref was OK during our game, but he did make one very strange non-call. The opposing keeper sent a punt high and with backspin about 10 yards out of the box. It spun back into the box without being touched and the keeper caught the ball and punted it again. I asked the center ref for an indirect free kick in the box, but was duly ignored.
Question for you, pls. What was more strange no call or ignoring your request for indirect free kick?

I have never seen a play like that before. The ball bounced right back into the keepers hands. When I was asking for the IDK, I wasn't 100% sure it was the right call. I just figured he wasn't sure what the right call was either. If so, he might as well let the girls play on.

Sometimes those long-shot comments to the referee pay off. In one championship game last year, an opposing player threw the ball from about 30 yards up the line. She threw it so hard and unexpectedly, that every player on the field missed the ball as it bounced into our goal. The referee pointed to the center circle for the restart. I argued that the ball had to be touched to count as a goal. Turned out I was right, and he reversed himself. Instead of being scored upon, we got a goal kick.
On the punt with enough backspin to return to the goalie:

I would have gotten the call wrong, too.

I figured it wasn't a deliberate backpass since it was clearly unintentional. Right read of the wrong rule. (It also wasn‘t a pass from a teammate.)

Rules clearly state the goalie can’t handle the ball again if they release it and no other player has touched it. So you were right. IFK.

I have never seen a play like that before. The ball bounced right back into the keepers hands. When I was asking for the IDK, I wasn't 100% sure it was the right call. I just figured he wasn't sure what the right call was either. If so, he might as well let the girls play on.

Sometimes those long-shot comments to the referee pay off. In one championship game last year, an opposing player threw the ball from about 30 yards up the line. She threw it so hard and unexpectedly, that every player on the field missed the ball as it bounced into our goal. The referee pointed to the center circle for the restart. I argued that the ball had to be touched to count as a goal. Turned out I was right, and he reversed himself. Instead of being scored upon, we got a goal kick.

You're lucky.

Well, I should say that, sometimes, screaming loudly what call you want while referee is thinking works but mostly with AR when it comes to the point which direction ball needs to be thrown . Center referee usually ignores all that screaming but it's all legal action by spectators, in my opinion. Cheers!

On the punt issue - a GK is allowed to pick up the ball a 2nd time in the event of a mis-kick. In the spirit of the laws I think a ball punted and spun back into the GK's hands qualifies. IMHO the referee got it right. The rules against GK handling a second time are largely to prevent time wasting ... not intended to apply to a once-in-a-lifetime weird ball flight. For me, that's a play on.

On the punt issue - a GK is allowed to pick up the ball a 2nd time in the event of a mis-kick. In the spirit of the laws I think a ball punted and spun back into the GK's hands qualifies. IMHO the referee got it right. The rules against GK handling a second time are largely to prevent time wasting ... not intended to apply to a once-in-a-lifetime weird ball flight. For me, that's a play on.

Interesting interpretation.

That new law change applies to attempting to kick the ball after receiving it from either a teammate or from a throw in. It does not come into play after releasing the ball once they have control of it with their hands. In the above scenario it should have been an IFK.

That new law change applies to attempting to kick the ball after receiving it from either a teammate or from a throw in. It does not come into play after releasing the ball once they have control of it with their hands. In the above scenario it should have been an IFK.
No doubt that is the rule.

It does undermines my faith in the referee system when the freak backspin play is worth stopping the game, but obvious pushes, holds, and trips are ignored to help maintain the flow of the game.

No doubt that is the rule.

It does undermines my faith in the referee system when the freak backspin play is worth stopping the game, but obvious pushes, holds, and trips are ignored to help maintain the flow of the game.
Have an idea!!! Let's replace licensed referees with licensed lawyers. They have better equipped to interpret the law of the game

The other relevant question is how old are the kids. I assume it’s not u10 because of the punt but most referees will not call a double handing or backpass violation for u10 on the grounds the kids don’t know the game yet unless it’s a very clear and obvious violation (like time wasting). They’ll tend to give a little leeway for u12 until they get into the bigger goals.

The other relevant question is how old are the kids. I assume it’s not u10 because of the punt but most referees will not call a double handing or backpass violation for u10 on the grounds the kids don’t know the game yet unless it’s a very clear and obvious violation (like time wasting). They’ll tend to give a little leeway for u12 until they get into the bigger goals.
Why is this question here? Why referees make no such call for u-10 age? Is it ok not to call for U11, U12 players? The law of the game is the same for any ages unless it clearly states in a local league or a tournament rules like no penalties for these ages or no heading for this age. If referees don't call for certain things then kids will never learn the rules.

Back