Some data on Covid-19 and why we're not over reacting...

I had trouble getting past this conclusion from the article. "They will have to decide which patient gets the oxygen and which one dies." That is fear mongering at its worst and is only going to create unnecessary panic. This kind of panic is why 44 people died from alcohol poisoning in Iran believing that a toxic potion of industrial alcohol would prevent coronavirus.

I think the most important point of the article and what I've heard from other experts is that we have to prevent the spike or as the article calls "flattening of the curve".

Doctors and nurses in Italy are having to make those decisions right now. It is not fear mongering when it is true. The US response to this crisis is NOT good right now.
True for Italy. For the USA, only time will tell. Fortunately, both of us hope I'm right!

True for Italy. For the USA, only time will tell. Fortunately, both of us hope I'm right!
The entire reason for the reaction - canceling sporting events, closing schools, not traveling on a flight, etc - is so that we can start "flattening of the curve" and prevent health care professionals from making those life/death decisions. It’s not an overreaction. If we go on about our business as usual, we would eventually be in the same situation as Italy. There is a possibility we may still get there. I’m praying we don’t.

I had trouble getting past this conclusion from the article. "They will have to decide which patient gets the oxygen and which one dies." That is fear mongering at its worst and is only going to create unnecessary panic. This kind of panic is why 44 people died from alcohol poisoning in Iran believing that a toxic potion of industrial alcohol would prevent coronavirus.
I don't see how that connection is warranted. The reason 44 people died from alcohol poising in Iran is that they believed a toxic potion of industrial alcohol would prevent the virus. The bad information they had was re. how to treat the virus. In fact, it seems pretty clear that lack of urgency is a primary cause of the extent of the outbreak there, not exaggeration.

The entire reason for the reaction - canceling sporting events, closing schools, not traveling on a flight, etc - is so that we can start "flattening of the curve" and prevent health care professionals from making those life/death decisions. It’s not an overreaction. If we go on about our business as usual, we would eventually be in the same situation as Italy. There is a possibility we may still get there. I’m praying we don’t.

As I mentioned in my previous post, I think the concept of "flattening the curve" is valid and most measures taken do date, while severe, are probably justified. Although, I'm skeptical about the necessity and benefit of closing down grade schools for the same reasons that the Governor of New York has chosen not to do so.

However, telling people that doctors are going to be walking down hallways of hospitals determining who lives or dies is hyperbolic and not helpful. If that is truly going to happen as the author of the article authoritatively claims (neither he or I are medical professionals), we should shut down everything and everyone should remain quarantined at home for a long time.

I will admit I'm jaded from the hyperbole from the other previous health scares, particularly the swine flu pandemic that was going to wipe us out. Its hard not to wonder if this is not another case of "crying wolf". Time will tell.

In the meantime, I wish everyone the best health. For myself and my family, we will wash our hands diligently, avoid people with coughs, not fall victims to the widespread panic and live our lives as normal as humanly possible while trying to track down some toilet paper. Oh, and listen to Dr. Fauci, he's a stud.

Take care.

I don’t know how a virus ended up being a partisan issue but it sure has become one. Party lines and opinions on this virus are completely aligned.

However, telling people that doctors are going to be walking down hallways of hospitals determining who lives or dies is hyperbolic and not helpful. If that is truly going to happen as the author of the article authoritatively claims (neither he or I are medical professionals), we should shut down everything and everyone should remain quarantined at home for a long time.
Oh, it's truly happening. Read this article written by Newt Gingrich, who happens to live in Italy, as his wife is an ambassador to the Vatican. https://www.newsweek.com/newt-gingr...-america-must-act-now-act-big-opinion-1492270

He's seeing firsthand what we're trying to prevent with these measures, and it does include doctors who are deciding who will live and die. He's a Republican, not a member of the media, and he's saying that these extreme measures are not an overreaction and that the time to act is now.

There's a new study coming out suggesting that the bands of temperature really do help the thing spread. China's recovery may not just be because of social distancing but also because it's weather in the south has gotten warmer. It also explains why Iran got hit so severely but Singapore and Bangkok despite having been hit earlier didn't get to that point. Southern Italy outside the band is also not getting hit as hard as northern Italy. Places really far north like Canada, Scandinavia and Moscow not yet. If true, LA will get hit but not as hard....Seattle, New York, Boston, London, Paris, Berlin are in for a world of hurt the coming weeks.

Unless this thing has a vaccine, isnt' it true that some of us healthy ones would eventually need to be infected? I am reminded of controlled burn during wildfires. If none of us are infected, then we are just fresh fuel for the virus. But if enough of us are slowly infected, we form a "used" fuel then the virus eventually dies out as it runs of of healthy people to transmit.

I don’t know how a virus ended up being a partisan issue but it sure has become one. Party lines and opinions on this virus are completely aligned.

It's a partisan issue because the President is more worried about his re-election chances than if people live. He called this thing a hoax two weeks ago and even yesterday contradicted his own health experts saying young people have nothing to worry about. Ironically, had he lead from the beginning and said that he was going to make tough decisions, defer to the experts, etc., it would have likely secured victory for him even with the market tanking.

It's a partisan issue because the President is more worried about his re-election chances than if people live. He called this thing a hoax two weeks ago and even yesterday contradicted his own health experts saying young people have nothing to worry about. Ironically, had he lead from the beginning and said that he was going to make tough decisions, defer to the experts, etc., it would have likely secured victory for him even with the market tanking.
it's a partisan issue because sheep like you say shit like this, regurgitating CNN, The Post and the Times. let it go and take care of business.

it's a partisan issue because sheep like you say shit like this, regurgitating CNN, The Post and the Times. let it go and take care of business.

Not sure what part of what I said isn't correct. Did he not call it a democratic hoax two weeks ago? Did he not contradict his own health expert at a press conference yesterday and say that young people have nothing to worry about? Has he not repeatedly said this is going to blow over?

Contradict him with Ohio Republican Gov Mike DeWine who made very tough, but correct choices to shut down schools, bars, etc and is taking this seriously.

You can love Trump, hate Trump or be indifferent, but if you think he's handled this well, your head is in the sand. We need a national strategy and we don't have that. And because Trump has played this down it's hurting our entire recovery as a nation.

Back