Soccer while club activities are suspended

Surf Zombie

SILVER ELITE
Curious what people will allow their kids to do soccer wise over the next month or whatever while club activities are suspended? Soccer here is suspended indefinitely and most Boston schools are closed until 4/30. Not suggesting that youth soccer is anywhere near the top of the priority list at the moment, but my kids are already climbing the walls.

My U13 and a a small group of girls from her school that all play at different clubs set up a small group practice schedule where they are getting together for 2 hours 3x week to do shooting/passing/skill work. They did their first session this morning and had the field (and whole park) completely to themselves.

My wife, who works in the medical field, was against it at first, but we are going to allow it and take it day by day and see how it goes.

Anyone else doing something similar?

Soccerfan2

SILVER ELITE
Curious what people will allow their kids to do soccer wise over the next month or whatever while club activities are suspended? Soccer here is suspended indefinitely and most Boston schools are closed until 4/30. Not suggesting that youth soccer is anywhere near the top of the priority list at the moment, but my kids are already climbing the walls.

My U13 and a a small group of girls from her school that all play at different clubs set up a small group practice schedule where they are getting together for 2 hours 3x week to do shooting/passing/skill work. They did their first session this morning and had the field (and whole park) completely to themselves.

My wife, who works in the medical field, was against it at first, but we are going to allow it and take it day by day and see how it goes.

Anyone else doing something similar?
Yep! Getting together with friends/teammates to practice. Working with trainer a couple days a week. Kick the ball against the wall at the school across the street and do footskills drills in the backyard. Some running/plyo, stretching on our own.

watfly

GOLD
You know this is not a teacher training day right? Getting kids together doesn't help us get this under control. Stay home. Practice on your own. Or we'll all be waiting to play with friends for a lot, lot longer.
Sorry, I refuse to be part of the panicdemic. I'm not a "chicken little". The epidemiologist I just heard on TV said that small gathering outdoors are likely fine. You weren't invited, so don't worry about it.

Have you been to the grocery store? It's almost "lord of the flies" with the panic.

Be smart, be careful, don't panic.

Sunil Illuminati

SILVER ELITE
Sorry, I refuse to be part of the panicdemic. I'm not a "chicken little". The epidemiologist I just heard on TV said that small gathering outdoors are likely fine. You weren't invited, so don't worry about it.

Have you been to the grocery store? It's almost "lord of the flies" with the panic.

Going to a store for food is a hell of a lot different than putting groups of kids together to play ball. Good luck to you. Glad you're not panicking. Hope you don't get anyone sick.

watfly

GOLD
I wasn't comparing the risks of the two. I was illustrating how fear mongering is causing people to be completely irrational and are making the problem worse by limiting necessary resources. Unfortunately individuals on this forum are promoting a completely unvetted apocalyptic article from a crowd sourced website using crowd sourced data by an individual who is not a medical professional, and is barely old enough to even have a medical degree. I'm going to take my medical advice from the CDC and Dr Fausti who by all accounts is highly respected by the medical community. If he says no on can leave there homes, I will follow his advice.

We've self quarantined my 87 year old Mom in her own home and she is fully stocked for a couple weeks. Despite our good health were avoiding anyone who is 60 or older. If someone in my household gets the virus we will all self quarantine for the required time and then some.

You do you. I'll do me.

I was told to go hiking and how dare I even think about soccer right now.

MamaBear5

BRONZE

Sunil Illuminati

SILVER ELITE
I wasn't comparing the risks of the two. I was illustrating how fear mongering is causing people to be completely irrational and are making the problem worse by limiting necessary resources. Unfortunately individuals on this forum are promoting a completely unvetted apocalyptic article from a crowd sourced website using crowd sourced data by an individual who is not a medical professional, and is barely old enough to even have a medical degree. I'm going to take my medical advice from the CDC and Dr Fausti who by all accounts is highly respected by the medical community. If he says no on can leave there homes, I will follow his advice.

We've self quarantined my 87 year old Mom in her own home and she is fully stocked for a couple weeks. Despite our good health were avoiding anyone who is 60 or older. If someone in my household gets the virus we will all self quarantine for the required time and then some.

You do you. I'll do me.
Yeah the CDC has really been a beacon of preparation so far huh!

A week or 2 away from organized soccer isn’t going to turn you kid back into the player they were when they played u5 rec.
if they want to get out and play- let them knock it around. If they want to take a break- don’t force it on them.

watfly

GOLD
A week or 2 away from organized soccer isn’t going to turn you kid back into the player they were when they played u5 rec.
if they want to get out and play- let them knock it around. If they want to take a break- don’t force it on them.
100%. I couldn't care less about the soccer, just trying to maintain a little bit of normalcy if possible.

I don't think there is anything wrong with small groups of kids getting together to keep their skills (and sanity) up. However, I do feel it's important to be mindful of distancing ourselves (especially those kids) from those who are most vulnerable (elderly, those who are immunocompromised, etc). We have a responsibility to protect those people as well as our health care delivery system. My friend who works in a local ICU recently told me they are just not prepared - they lack the staff and equipment to adequately treat patients if the healthcare system becomes overwhelmed. I know my daughter is already going stir crazy - today she was lamenting that she was supposed to have a track meet and a soccer game. But she also gets it, so she's finding other ways to fill her time. She is currently out for a run with her brother. She is also going to take advantage of this time to do more one on one work with a trainer as well as study for the ACT.

I don't think there is anything wrong with small groups of kids getting together to keep their skills (and sanity) up. However, I do feel it's important to be mindful of distancing ourselves (especially those kids) from those who are most vulnerable (elderly, those who are immunocompromised, etc). We have a responsibility to protect those people as well as our health care delivery system. My friend who works in a local ICU recently told me they are just not prepared - they lack the staff and equipment to adequately treat patients if the healthcare system becomes overwhelmed. I know my daughter is already going stir crazy - today she was lamenting that she was supposed to have a track meet and a soccer game. But she also gets it, so she's finding other ways to fill her time. She is currently out for a run with her brother. She is also going to take advantage of this time to do more one on one work with a trainer as well as study for the ACT.
My buddy lives in HB and he said everyone is playing volleyball today and surfing and hanging out at the restaurants. He has no kids and told me to calm down. I think it's going to hit us and then we all go inside and get each other sick maybe? Some say that's what happen in Italy. Make one room the sick room they say. Once you get it, go to sick room. Why don;t we all just go inside now? Maybe have some folks go shop by alphabet or have home delivery by all the healthy college students. Something for them to do and keeps us away from each other. I guess we weren't having enough family time and now we will. It will help us all. Take walks and go to park with just family. I will say if you have issues with your spouse or loved one, you might want to get resolved now :) We will be together online and with our families for a month or so or longer. I don't think were going to be having scrimmages in the near future. Time to wait this out probably. Take a walk, hike and chill.

Please rename this thread "Crazy soccer parents". Most clubs I know of have suspended soccer for only 2-3 weeks. 2-3 weeks! And while the media is certainly doing their best to scare the sh*t out of all of us, there is a REAL and GLOBAL pandemic at hand that there is no vaccine and no known cure. Yes, children seem to be less affected than the elderly, but our government has asked...wait, ordered to not gather within 6 feet of others for the good and well-being of your fellow citizens. But let's all disregard that rare and unified request from the Federal, State, County and City governments (and schools) because it's much more important that the kids maintain their dribbling skills.

How are you going to feel if one of those kids gets sick from the virus, or worse transmits it to Mom or Grandpa at home? Is it worth it? Attitudes like this is what lead many to claim that USA's individualism, while advantageous in many respects, will be the downfall in a situation like this one. Citizens of other free countries like Canada, Japan, South Korea and others, fall in line when their government says, we're doing this and need you to comply (China too but they are Communist). They don't say, "you do you and I'll do me."

To have this attitude, it is either that one is so addicted to your kids' sports that you can't be without it for less than a month. Or, the kids' interests are so narrow that the only thing they know how to do for fun during this time is play soccer with other kids? No self-motivation to kick against a wall, no other interests in music, art, running, video games, etc.? My bet is it is much more likely the former. I know this post will upset some, and I'm sorry if it does. But if it does, then it must be hitting close to home. Maybe some good will come of it.

God help us all if there is some other natural disaster during all of this. Doesn’t look like much of a threat for fires for the next few weeks. And the rain seems to be a consistent but not torrential- so hopefully no mudslides or flash flooding.
If there’s an earthquake we’re F’ed. (Hope I didn’t just jinx us).

Copa9

BRONZE

If you are in California, how great that people now have a two week supply of food and water! Seismologist and geologist have been trying for years to get us to do that! :) The stores will restock. "Chance favors those who are prepared"!

Sunil Illuminati

SILVER ELITE
100%. I couldn't care less about the soccer, just trying to maintain a little bit of normalcy if possible.
That's the problem. There is no normalcy right now. Italy tried to maintain normalcy, Spain tried to maintain normalcy and now look at them. It's not hysteria, its common sense, its a communicable virus and there's very clear examples of why people just need to stay home for a few weeks. Defend your position all you want but there's no good reason " planning to get kids together from various teams for some kickarounds."