SOCCER POSTS ONLY... Can this be done?

Our friends are in AZ at one of the stay and play hotels for baseball this weekend. Dining hall was packed last night with no masks from anyone including the staff making the food. Pool was packed and the booze was flowing like it was the summer of 2019. Stay healthy my friends.
What city?

Not sure where you're getting that info but it's wrong.
That is what came from our team manager but when we got to the fields they let us on but had to have mask and stay between the last light pole and the end of the goal. They seem to want to protect the players from the spectators.

That is what came from our team manager but when we got to the fields they let us on but had to have mask and stay between the last light pole and the end of the goal. They seem to want to protect the players from the spectators.
Reach seemed compliant last night. Spectators in their blue circles, people with masks on. People waiting in their cars before games. I dunno, seemed pretty good. I'm waiting to read an article depicting the virus cloud hovering over the complex.

Reach seemed compliant last night. Spectators in their blue circles, people with masks on. People waiting in their cars before games. I dunno, seemed pretty good. I'm waiting to read an article depicting the virus cloud hovering over the complex.

What's the weather like? I remember being at Desert Cup a few years ago and during the day was nice, then we froze our ass off at night haha (parents)

What's the weather like? I remember being at Desert Cup a few years ago and during the day was nice, then we froze our ass off at night haha (parents)
Yeah, exactly that, beautiful during the day and very cold at the fields at night. For night games, look at the forecast temp and dress for colder. Temp drops very quickly once the sun goes down in the desert.

Our first official game since March. In Bullhead City. Crazy time zone fun as people staying in Nevada or California are one hour different than Arizona. All our parents were masked. Girls were hungry and scored and kept on scoring. Looking forward to a more difficult game tonight. Grabbed food and back in the room. Good amount of wind. No injuries except fat lip for my daughter who got kicked in the face. Eating snacks so she must be fine.

Yeah, exactly that, beautiful during the day and very cold at the fields at night. For night games, look at the forecast temp and dress for colder. Temp drops very quickly once the sun goes down in the desert.
Spot on - shorts/ t-shirt during the day. Beanies and winter jackets at night (for locals and socal folks). If you are from Minnesota, you laugh and leave on your shorts and t shirts. AZ winters are tough.

Our first official game since March. In Bullhead City. Crazy time zone fun as people staying in Nevada or California are one hour different than Arizona. All our parents were masked. Girls were hungry and scored and kept on scoring. Looking forward to a more difficult game tonight. Grabbed food and back in the room. Good amount of wind. No injuries except fat lip for my daughter who got kicked in the face. Eating snacks so she must be fine.

Yes, we are up also. Plenty of parking. Parents nicely spread out with no sideline crowding. All with masks and some really nice soccer for the first official game of the 2020 season.

Love watching them kids play.

What are the odds that if there are no Covid breakouts at Desert Cup that CNN, WAPO, or the other news outlets will publish a follow up report? I put the over/under at 0.
Arizona won't be doing any contact tracing so you'll never know, but whatever happens you'll blame the media for causing the breakout, not interactions from people from different states during the worst pandemic the USA has experienced in 100 years when more than 1,000 people are dying daily and hospital beds are filling up? If there is a breakout from the tournament, which there will be because there's a breakout from every mass gathering that happens during the pandemic, will you believe it or just call BS? How many healthcare workers drove by the fields where your kid is playing, shaking their heads as they treat people dying from Covid and they themselves wondering if they will survive the holiday season? When you leave AZ, will you quarantine at home for 10 days? Will you order food and groceries from a delivery service or so you don't expose anyone?

If there is a breakout from the tournament, which there will be because there's a breakout from every mass gathering that happens during the pandemic, will you believe it or just call BS? How many healthcare workers drove by the fields where your kid is playing, shaking their heads as they treat people dying from Covid and they themselves wondering if they will survive the holiday season? When you leave AZ, will you quarantine at home for 10 days? Will you order food and groceries from a delivery service or so you don't expose anyone?

I get what you are trying to say, really, I do. But you are being very dramatic. This is the quintessential sound bite. I know plenty of healthcare workers who will do the opposite. Where is the link to the study that 100% verifies that every mass gathering in the history of the pandemic circa 2020 has lead to a breakout.

There will not be a concession made on either side. Healthy people will not isolate forever, not at the direction or the insistence of an elected government.

With all of that said, plenty of great soccer being played. I haven't been to the complexes in the other parts of town, but the event organizers and the city of phoenix have been on it, reminding people of compliance. Even though people think it's silly to sit in blue circles and wear masks when not within 6 ft of another human, compliance and civility has been evident. Hat's off to the Reach 11, City of Phoenix, and Even organizers staff in running a tight ship.

Arizona won't be doing any contact tracing so you'll never know, but whatever happens you'll blame the media for causing the breakout, not interactions from people from different states during the worst pandemic the USA has experienced in 100 years when more than 1,000 people are dying daily and hospital beds are filling up? If there is a breakout from the tournament, which there will be because there's a breakout from every mass gathering that happens during the pandemic, will you believe it or just call BS? How many healthcare workers drove by the fields where your kid is playing, shaking their heads as they treat people dying from Covid and they themselves wondering if they will survive the holiday season? When you leave AZ, will you quarantine at home for 10 days? Will you order food and groceries from a delivery service or so you don't expose anyone?
Did you come up with that on your own or did you see it on a Lifetime Channel movie over the holiday? So many falsehoods and mischaracterizations of my position I'd have to take it to Off Topic.

Sounds like a lot of appropriate protocols in place. Hope all teams and families had a great time. Ironic, that the final for my kids age group (we didn't attend, we were scheduled for Nomads) was between two OC teams. I will be surprised to see any more tourneys until at least the spring. We were told that Nomads tourney will be played in April.

4ob5pj.jpg

Per the CDC masks, social distancing, being outdoors keeps the virus from spreading. That was what everyone did at soccer in Az this weekend. Everyone I saw was spread out and wearing masks. We ate outside once, other two times were in our room or car.

What doesn’t work is groups together inside for this past Thanksgiving. Seeing people go into Circle K no mask, even the two sheriffs I saw. No masks for groups to travelers at the rest area restrooms going to and from Arizona, and I'm not talking soccer families, these were old couples, groups of men and women, families with very small children. I imagine more people got the virus from Black Friday than Arizona soccer.

The tourneys did a much better job than the rest of society.

Desert Super Cup was pretty flawless, at least for us. Parents stayed in the cars until about 10 mins before kickoff, someone always around reminding people to wear their masks (over their noses), hand sanitizer stations, circles on the fields to keep social distance. We were at Reach, easy getting in and out, little to no traffic.

At the hotel all workers, and guests were complying by wearing masks.

Desert Super Cup was pretty flawless, at least for us. Parents stayed in the cars until about 10 mins before kickoff, someone always around reminding people to wear their masks (over their noses), hand sanitizer stations, circles on the fields to keep social distance. We were at Reach, easy getting in and out, little to no traffic.

At the hotel all workers, and guests were complying by wearing masks.
The drive home was the superspreader event not the hotel or the games. The 10 was a parking lot my GPS took me off roading no joke which was a parking lot too. Someome pulled out pug goals and started playing literally in the desert at Quartzite.

I notice that some clubs are holding Free ID events (aka tryouts) this month. I wonder what the thought process is for those clubs. Are they throwing in the towel and forming new teams for the spring or are they just supplementing current teams with the hope there may be some games in the new year?

For those of you on a traditional fall season team (ie not MLS Next, ECNL etc) what is your team or club thinking? Obviously it's impossible to plan for anything but is the current team staying together and still practicing in hopes there may be league games in the new year or maybe just staying together in hopes of playing or tournament or in the long shot that there's some form of state cup?

Back