SoCal Job Offer

Savage

BRONZE
I am considering a job offer to relocate for work for a SoCal based firm with about 10 offices in LA and Orange Counties so can live pretty much anywhere in that area.

My daughters soccer is a big part of our life so I would like to get her into the best soccer situation possible and hopefully live within reasonable driving distance of her training location.

Daughter is currently an 8th grader that plays for an 05 DA team. We like DA as a league but potentially open to ECNL too. We know SoCal teams are strong but confident she would fit well into most SoCal DA or ECNL teams.

What teams would you recommend in LA or Orange County based on quality of coach and healthy club situation? Not necessarily looking for the winningest team.

The answers to this question will help me to narrow down where to search for a home!

I am considering a job offer to relocate for work for a SoCal based firm with about 10 offices in LA and Orange Counties so can live pretty much anywhere in that area.

My daughters soccer is a big part of our life so I would like to get her into the best soccer situation possible and hopefully live within reasonable driving distance of her training location.

Daughter is currently an 8th grader that plays for an 05 DA team. We like DA as a league but potentially open to ECNL too. We know SoCal teams are strong but confident she would fit well into most SoCal DA or ECNL teams.

What teams would you recommend in LA or Orange County based on quality of coach and healthy club situation? Not necessarily looking for the winningest team.

The answers to this question will help me to narrow down where to search for a home!
Depending on exactly where your located plays a large role. PM me for suggestions.

Make sure you take schools districts into consideration in the process.

Where does she play currently? I’m sure she’s a great player. But I’ve seen people relocate that are top 5 players in their current area that aren’t quite at thatlecelwhen they move here.
Go in with high expectations, but don’t expect that you’ll have the pick of any DA or ECNL club that you want to join.
Commute time in So Cal is no joke. If you live in South OC but work in LA and soccer is at the Great Park 4x per week, you’ll be spending a LOT of time in the car.
If you work from home and have some flexibility, you’ll be fine. (And most teams have a solid carpool set up for players that live close to each other).
Irvine is a solid choice. Centrally located. Close enough to the coast. Most DA and ECNL team practice at the great park. Schools are top notch.

New high school is huge for any girl. I would move to Laguna Beach. #1 school for academics and we have the #1 HS Soccer program in the country. Great Park In Irvine is 10 minutes away and many teams practice there. SoCal Blues & Strikers to name a few. Whatever you do, stay out of the South Bay. Traffic sucks over there and you have to deal with LAX. Lastly, be prepare to deal with crazy parents and take a road rage class that the city of Los Angeles puts on every week at city hall. Welcome to socal and I hope you find what your looking for.
1575639622679.png

Last edited:
Dude, don't make a life decision like where you are going to live based on youth soccer. Find the right city/neighborhood/schools for you and your new commute (no matter where it's going to be bad) for your family (they have to adjust to new people, new schools, new everything) ..then look for a club.

Update:

It looks like I we are going to move to the Dana Point area in Southern Orange County. So, it appears that most of the teams in Southern Orange County train at Great Park in Irvine so we can start contacting teams in the area. One question: It looks like there a few teams in Northern San Diego County within driving distance of Dana Point. Is it doable for a Dana Point or San Clemente girl to try out for a Northern San Diego team?

From having checked the rosters of the Northern San Diego county DA teams, I didn't see any girls who resided in Southern Orange County and I also didn't see any who resided in Northern San Diego County who play for Southern Orange County teams. So, I am wondering if its just the traffic or is there some unspoken rule that girls can't cross county lines between Orange County and San Diego County?

I really appreciate the help.

There’s no rule, written or unwritten that I am aware of. I know of girls who live in Riverside County who commute to SD, not too sure about the other way around though.

As for the drive, it’s definitely doable, but you are always going to be rushing..all it takes is one small fender bender and your traffic will be snarled for hours on some days.

Also, great choice on Dana Point. Good weather, nice area, great schools. Congrats.

Update:

It looks like I we are going to move to the Dana Point area in Southern Orange County. So, it appears that most of the teams in Southern Orange County train at Great Park in Irvine so we can start contacting teams in the area. One question: It looks like there a few teams in Northern San Diego County within driving distance of Dana Point. Is it doable for a Dana Point or San Clemente girl to try out for a Northern San Diego team?

From having checked the rosters of the Northern San Diego county DA teams, I didn't see any girls who resided in Southern Orange County and I also didn't see any who resided in Northern San Diego County who play for Southern Orange County teams. So, I am wondering if its just the traffic or is there some unspoken rule that girls can't cross county lines between Orange County and San Diego County?

It is doable, Blues have girls on their teams (05/06/07) from Carlsbad, although LAGSD ( now City FC, even though they are located in the Village of Carlsbad) is not the “Blues” or the “Slammers”. I would look at the multiple of options in OC rather than looking at City FC. Surf is another 15 mins down the road, that would be a much better option but the traffic on the 5 with the construction is a nightmare, we do it from Del Mar to Carlsbad and it is not fun these days.

Update:

No offense intended, but you didn't look hard enough (or are using a different definition of N. SD County). Phenomenal goalie (YNT I believe) from S OC traveling to N SD for soccer (as 1 example). Listen to @Carlsbad10 he knows what he speaks of. There are parents in SD and OC driving all over the place for their DD's soccer. IF soccer is that important AND you have the job flexibility, you can make it work. I drove for a year from Carlsbad to 4S Ranch for my DD's soccer. It is not that far, but no direct route, I made it work.

Having done a lot of driving, and having talked a lot with DD regarding her soccer aspirations, we now have some limitations on how far I will drive. She wants to have a life outside of soccer, and I want to focus on my business. She is happy where she is at and seems to be growing as a person and a player so it works for us. Good luck.

Update:

Congrats on DP. I got married on the beach down there. Find a gr8t coach and team and enjoy the ride how ever far the drive takes you. I drove 1 hr 15 minutes each way to help my dd reach for the soccer stars. Today, 10 minutes. Both are good and to each family his own. BTW, I'm now offering surfing lessons down at Salt Creek so look for me over by the Ritz Carlton where the nice left break is :)
P.S. bro, please don;t become this guy.......
1581701994247.png

OR

1581702599914.png

Last edited:
No offense intended, but you didn't look hard enough (or are using a different definition of N. SD County). Phenomenal goalie (YNT I believe) from S OC traveling to N SD for soccer (as 1 example). Listen to @Carlsbad10 he knows what he speaks of. There are parents in SD and OC driving all over the place for their DD's soccer. IF soccer is that important AND you have the job flexibility, you can make it work. I drove for a year from Carlsbad to 4S Ranch for my DD's soccer. It is not that far, but no direct route, I made it work.

Having done a lot of driving, and having talked a lot with DD regarding her soccer aspirations, we now have some limitations on how far I will drive. She wants to have a life outside of soccer, and I want to focus on my business. She is happy where she is at and seems to be growing as a person and a player so it works for us. Good luck.

I'm familiar with that drive ;) and yes there's still plenty taking I5 south to surf from OC

With GDA and 4 days per week I'm glad it is a shorter 30 minute commute to soccer now....but I actually kinda enjoyed the extended travel time with my DDs back then when it was 2 days per week......at 4 days per week it would be too many days in a car and put a strain on school which is a hard no.....before we know it they'll be off to college and man will I miss them.....will see if it's still as fun now if we return to a longer drive to allow her (other one is no longer soccering) to play high school which she is super excited about doing......I suspect we'll make it work since she wants to play both HS and top level college ball.......

good luck "savage" and enjoy the ride here in socal.......you'll love DP and just pick a good team and coach where your daughter is both happy and pushed hard.....

I'm familiar with that drive ;) and yes there's still plenty taking I5 south to surf from OC

With GDA and 4 days per week I'm glad it is a shorter 30 minute commute to soccer now....but I actually kinda enjoyed the extended travel time with my DDs back then when it was 2 days per week......at 4 days per week it would be too many days in a car and put a strain on school which is a hard no.....before we know it they'll be off to college and man will I miss them.....will see if it's still as fun now if we return to a longer drive to allow her (other one is no longer soccering) to play high school which she is super excited about doing......I suspect we'll make it work since she wants to play both HS and top level college ball.......

good luck "savage" and enjoy the ride here in socal.......you'll love DP and just pick a good team and coach where your daughter is both happy and pushed hard.....
Great takes Dad who loves Futbol and has one left. 4 more years bro. It's hard watching time fly with your baby girls. Look what CP said about Kobe and Gigi bond :)

Chris Paul is remembering his friend, rival and mentor, Kobe Bryant.

ET exclusively spoke with the 34-year-old Oklahoma City Thunder star at NBA All-Star Media Day in Chicago, Illinois, on Friday, where he opened up about how he's been coping with Kobe's death. He also talked about the bond Kobe shared with his 13-year-old daughter, Gianna "Gigi" Bryant, who also died in the tragic helicopter crash that killed seven others last month.
"Man, it's crazy," Paul told ET's Nischelle Turner, getting teary-eyed. "For me, it's just still not real. So, just seeing that connection and knowing how important his family was to him, all his girls. Vanessa... it's still tough for me to comprehend and to understand."
"She, Gigi, was with her protector," he added, of Kobe and Gianna's final moments together. "She was with her dad and, you know, she wouldn't rather be in any other place."

Back