So Cal Club Soccer History

cheaper2keeper

SILVER ELITE
With all the little clubs being merged/affiliated with the big clubs in the recent years, I thought it would be fun to open a History topic. Please post what club became what, crests or jerseys, and stories of accomplishments. When my DD first started there were clubs like Laguna Hills Eclipse, Exiles, Southbay Gunners, FC Blades, etc. My DD started at FC Man United in Walnut that is, surprisingly, still around. 5 years from now there may be only big clubs left.

Carlsbad Wave + Carlsbad Lightning = Carlsbad United with became LAGSD. LAGSD appears to be rebranding again as Galaxy is ending their club affiliations.

Avengers (SD) became Arsenal (perhaps Arsenal South), which is now SD Force. There may have been a name before Avengers, but it was before my kid'e time there.

Let's see....one kid was with a club through these changes: LHSC Eclipse ---> Strikers OC ----> SC Blues
Then there was the great expansion of the CRSC Infinity Soccer Club to become what is now known as the CDA Slammers franchise...

In the 80s, the Earthquakes were one of the main clubs in Central Orange County. Not sure if they folded, changed names or got absorbed into another club. The Warhawks were another club that I remember from North Orange County.

I admire the clubs who have been around and rode/endured the wave
Fram -1964
Fullerton Rangers -1963

One comes to mind since my neighbor's son played for them for a long time Westcoast FC = OC Surf

W
In the 80s, the Earthquakes were one of the main clubs in Central Orange County. Not sure if they folded, changed names or got absorbed into another club. The Warhawks were another club that I remember from North Orange County.
What about Wolfpack are they still around?

My wife's dad coached club at Santos Futbol Club out of Walnut/Diamond Bar area in early 80s. @espola , I hear this was a power house back in the day. Have you heard of them?

My wife's dad coached club at Santos Futbol Club out of Walnut/Diamond Bar area in early 80s. @espola , I hear this was a power house back in the day. Have you heard of them?

We played in a tournament in Diamond Bar early 2000's (horrible parking Saturday, and the second day games were at Cal Poly Pomona, who almost closed their fields because of muddy conditions). Don't remember the club name who put on the tournament.

That was the weekend when I first found out I couldn't pronounce "Nguyen" properly. The kids all spoke it OK because the first time they heard it was from the player's own mouth, but I had only seen it in print and was trying to read it like English.

Back in the 1976 when I moved to Poway, I became aware of the local club that supported rec teams for kids and a travelling team for adults, mostly composed of immigrants who had played soccer in their youth and also coached some of the rec teams. I hoped to get hooked up with the adult team by helping out the rec teams, but the next year, 1977, one of the coaches had a heart attack and died on the field during a coaches-vs-coaches game at the season kickoff festival. Interest in the adult team waned after that.

Someone should put together a comprehensive timeline. I bet it would have more branching paths than the animal kingdom...

Someone should put together a comprehensive timeline. I bet it would have more branching paths than the animal kingdom...

There are just two timelines so far
Before affliations become common or dominated the landscape and after.

BAD changed things up

Back